BYPASS BIOS PASSWORD ON ASUS LAPTOP (solved)

THE STORY:

So a buddy if mine brought me a laptop that he had found from cleaning out an abandon house. Laptop was dirty as hell and looks beat up but still turned on. It was a ASUS model X55A (I think). I thought when he said he needed for me to remove the password he meant it had a password to get into windows. Easy enough. But when he brought it over and turned it on, first thing to pop up was grey text box that said ENTER PASSWORD. Damn this thing has a admin bios password. I had fixed a similar asus computer years ago that had a bios password. I just needed to google the list of recovery codes to remove the password. Jumped onto google found the list and damn again! This list only goes until 2012... It's 2017. Started thinking... 3 options... call asus and try to get a recent recovery password (I hate calling tech support when I am the tech support), google a bit deeper to see if someone cracked the algorithm to the recovery codes, or... open up this laptop to remove the CMOS battery to reset the internal clock. So about 20 minutes later and 3 missing screws later I had the laptop taken apart and back together. Turn it on and press alt+r to bring up the recovery password option and now the date is 1/1/2009. Awesome. Consult the list of recovery codes I found online. Type in the code for that date...and boom password removed. 

LONG STORY SHORT:

If an ASUS computer has a admin bios password at boot.

1) Open computer and remove the button battery on motherboard to reset clock

2) Check the recovery date by pressing alt+r at the ENTER PASSWORD screen.

3) Consult this list for the recovery password  http://pastebin.com/L3c3rySj

4) Enter recovery password at recovery screen.

5) Eat pizza?

This process requires another computer or at least your phone. (I assume you got one because you're reading this)

I know this process sounds simple but I saw tons of people talking about this online and there wasn't a simple guide to solve the problem. If this guide helps one person then mission accomplished.

Doesn't a BIOS reset remove any admin passwords??

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

On 2/27/2017 at 9:35 PM, RadiatingLight said:

Doesn't a BIOS reset remove any admin passwords??

I couldn't get into the bios at all to do a reset. Is there a reset jumper in asus laptops to reset to bios?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the post. I was unable to reset my system date, but I found a workaround and wanted to share for any future viewers. I found that the codes listed in the paste bin above (http://pastebin.com/L3c3rySj) had a pattern. Every month/day combination shares the same last 4 characters. So it's the year that changes the first set of characters, and these characters repeat.

For example:

• At the password prompt, press alt+r
  • Take note of the date displayed. For me it was 2017-05-11
  • Use Ctrl+F to search the paste bin for your month and date. I used "-05-11"
  • Use the codes you find until one of them works. Mine was the same code as 2007-05-11 from the paste bin.
  • It looks like the codes might repeat every 10 years. So I would suggest starting with the month and date combination from 10 years prior to whatever date is displayed after you press alt+r.
Edited by Asusrescuepassword
Changed alt-f4 to alt+ r

On 8/3/2017 at 1:47 AM, Asusrescuepassword said:

Thanks for the post. I was unable to reset my system date, but I found a workaround and wanted to share for any future viewers. I found that the codes listed in the paste bin above (http://pastebin.com/L3c3rySj) had a pattern. Every month/day combination shares the same last 4 characters. So it's the year that changes the first set of characters, and these characters repeat.

For example:

• At the password prompt, press alt+r
  • Take note of the date displayed. For me it was 2017-05-11
  • Use Ctrl+F to search the paste bin for your month and date. I used "-05-11"
  • Use the codes you find until one of them works. Mine was the same code as 2007-05-11 from the paste bin.
  • It looks like the codes might repeat every 10 years. So I would suggest starting with the month and date combination from 10 years prior to whatever date is displayed after you press alt+r.

This SOOOOO MUCH THIS! ^ Thank you OP and Asusrescurepassword! You guys rock.

• 1 month later...

I have a ASUS Q500A and I cant find a code to get past the BIOS lock.. it is dated 2012-10 on the sticker on the back. there is no way to get a date on the BIOS.. Help!

• 4 months later...

I have an Asus DK016B and it ask's me for 2018/01/17... can anyone help me with the code please?

• 1 month later...
On 2018-01-17 at 6:10 PM, DeathValley69 said:

I have an Asus DK016B and it ask's me for 2018/01/17... can anyone help me with the code please?

if you scroll up at bit and read the comments.. 

""It looks like the codes might repeat every 10 years. So I would suggest starting with the month and date combination from 10 years prior to whatever date""

i did this on my asus- x205TA. the date was. 2012-01-09  so i did go back 10 years to 2002-01-09 and tried the code and it worked for me :)

But anyway try this code, otherwise i dont know..  --->  2008-01-17"  21AAALLC

Just going to add a few bits this to help others after spending most of the Sunday trying to unlock the administrator access to the BIOS on an Asus UX330UAK after a member of staff decided to lock it up when he left the company and was not happy in providing the password.

First of all, the Alt + R did not work on this laptop for some reason. Tried all manner of things as a standard user in the BIOS but could not get it to boot into recovery as this was locked down. The answer turned out to be to update the BIOS. This can be done by manually downloading winflash from the Asus website, then download the firmware that is specific to your laptop (take great care here) and finally flash it from the Windows Install.

It will reboot and flash the BIOS which will then suddenly allow Alt+R to be used.

Winflash can download the Bios firmware from the Asus website but it kept reporting corruption in the download hence why its best to download the correct image yourself.

Then Alt+R shows the current days date and asks for a code...for me it was 2018-03-11, I used the code for 2008-03-11 and bingo, into the BIOS as administrator.

Hope this helps others.

• 2 months later...

Good news guys.  I was having the same issue as everyone else.  A friend gave me a laptop that someone gave him but it had a bios password.  He couldn't unlock it and I pressed Alt-R during the bios password screen.  The date was 2015/12/24.  The person that mentioned going 10 years back on the list is a lifesaver! It worked!  I used the password from 2005/12/24: BAADALAA

I have now bypassed the bios password but now also have to bypass the windows password.

thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, Cruzinie said:

How to unlock it if it was an user password not bios?

download Ophcrack, make a usb bootable flash drive.  boot into linux and it will give you either the hex code or password.  works for all older versions of windows.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, Steve B said:

Just going to add a few bits this to help others after spending most of the Sunday trying to unlock the administrator access to the BIOS on an Asus UX330UAK after a member of staff decided to lock it up when he left the company and was not happy in providing the password.

First of all, the Alt + R did not work on this laptop for some reason. Tried all manner of things as a standard user in the BIOS but could not get it to boot into recovery as this was locked down. The answer turned out to be to update the BIOS. This can be done by manually downloading winflash from the Asus website, then download the firmware that is specific to your laptop (take great care here) and finally flash it from the Windows Install.

It will reboot and flash the BIOS which will then suddenly allow Alt+R to be used.

Winflash can download the Bios firmware from the Asus website but it kept reporting corruption in the download hence why its best to download the correct image yourself.

Then Alt+R shows the current days date and asks for a code...for me it was 2018-03-11, I used the code for 2008-03-11 and bingo, into the BIOS as administrator.

Hope this helps others.

I tried all of the above. I have an Asus Q304ua. Alt r doesn't work. No cmos to unplug. What do I do. Buy a new motherboard?

On 2/28/2017 at 4:31 AM, pango3001 said:

LONG STORY SHORT:

5) Eat pizza?

I owe you a nice Pizza, man, that worked like a charm on a 2018 ASUS flip.

However there is a trick for non-QWERTY keyboards: ENTER THE GIVEN CODE WITH A QWERTY LAYOUT ( A = Q etc )

Also, use caps-lock to enter the code.
- 2017? -> use 2007 code

Additionally you can use Dogbert's python script to generate your code, not only for asus but for almost every brand out there:
https://dogber1.blogspot.com/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html

Thanks again, You and "our" internet

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have a problem with this..what if there is no recovery date after I pressed alt-r? Only "Enter Rescue Password", nothing else

Hi Guys...

I've managed to ALT R to get date displayed after resetting battery on my X205TA.  It shows as 2012/01/01  Damnit.. the very useful advice of using codes from 10years back misses by 1day (2002/01/01)

Any advice??

Hi guys. My laptop is zenbook ux32L. 

The date is shown "2009/01/01". I try "19990101" "01011999" from 2009-1989 +"0101".but isn't work. Someone help? The damn zenbook. ???

Finally, I got the answer. 

https://pastebin.com/L3c3rySj

???

Edited by Asnow

Just tried and succeeded with an Asus K501UX and the date 2010-04-09, picked up randomly in the given pastebin link.

Thank you so much !

On 2/28/2017 at 5:31 AM, pango3001 said:

THE STORY:

So a buddy if mine brought me a laptop that he had found from cleaning out an abandon house. Laptop was dirty as hell and looks beat up but still turned on. It was a ASUS model X55A (I think). I thought when he said he needed for me to remove the password he meant it had a password to get into windows. Easy enough. But when he brought it over and turned it on, first thing to pop up was grey text box that said ENTER PASSWORD. Damn this thing has a admin bios password. I had fixed a similar asus computer years ago that had a bios password. I just needed to google the list of recovery codes to remove the password. Jumped onto google found the list and damn again! This list only goes until 2012... It's 2017. Started thinking... 3 options... call asus and try to get a recent recovery password (I hate calling tech support when I am the tech support), google a bit deeper to see if someone cracked the algorithm to the recovery codes, or... open up this laptop to remove the CMOS battery to reset the internal clock. So about 20 minutes later and 3 missing screws later I had the laptop taken apart and back together. Turn it on and press alt+r to bring up the recovery password option and now the date is 1/1/2009. Awesome. Consult the list of recovery codes I found online. Type in the code for that date...and boom password removed. 

LONG STORY SHORT:

5) Eat pizza?

This process requires another computer or at least your phone. (I assume you got one because you're reading this)

I know this process sounds simple but I saw tons of people talking about this online and there wasn't a simple guide to solve the problem. If this guide helps one person then mission accomplished.

Guys. Hello!

I have a situation.

My Asus Keyboard laptop, it's gone, few keys are working. How could i manage to type passwords wihout it? Of course usb Keyboard is not recognize on the prompt password screen. I feel a bit in dangerous. Any workaround? 

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 1:49 PM, Steve B said:

Can you please elaborate the process please. Could not boot from USB. Just stuck on password screen.

• 3 months later...

What can i do if there is no date on the enter rescue password screen ?

• 1 month later...

Hi there, Need help if possible...

I tried all years with 05-14, also with Q instead A and Capslock on.. was using external keyboard and ALL PASSWORDS ARE INVALID 

What else, is there any other solution or I'm doing something wrong?

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, medper_uk said:

Hi Guys...

I've managed to ALT R to get date displayed after resetting battery on my X205TA.  It shows as 2012/01/01  Damnit.. the very useful advice of using codes from 10years back misses by 1day (2002/01/01)

Any advice??

ABLDABLA same as 2007 01 01, worked for me

Mine is ASUS, All In One Desktop. Model: ET2013I IUTI. The 'ALT +R' Does not seem to be working on it. Can some one help me to unlock the bios password since I don't know how else to get to the date for the recovery password