BYPASS BIOS PASSWORD ON ASUS LAPTOP (solved)

My situation is that my girlfriend tried to help a friend of hers to "fix" a windows boot problem so they just tried random stuff - and set a bios admin/user password that they now can't remember 🤦‍♂️

The Laptop an Asus A407M is starting and instantly shows
"Enter Password"

Alt+r only enters "r" into the password field => so the Bios seems to new to have a recovery mode 🤔

On 1/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Dante91 said:

I had also the problem that ALT+R not worked and my BIOS was up to date. So i thought about a BIOS downgrade.

so that at least sounds promising - but how do you update/downgrade a bios if your PC only shows "Enter Password" no way to select to Boot from USB or so?

any other ideas? 🙏

PS: things I already tried:
1) Open it up and remove the built in battery (as there is no CMOS battery as far as I could find)
2) Start it up without the battery (hoping to somehow be able to enter the bios to at least read the date)

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue daKmoR. I'm stuck too. If anyone can point me a way to downgrade the bios version without entering the operating system (it won't let me) and Alt + r not working, I'd really appreciate it. I am trying to remove the power on password on a Asus K410U.

Just to add, I have removed the battery and hard drive and powered it on but no date shows and I've pulled it apart and there is no CMOS battery on the mb 😞

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, daKmoR said:

My situation is that my girlfriend tried to help a friend of hers to "fix" a windows boot problem so they just tried random stuff - and set a bios admin/user password that they now can't remember 🤦‍♂️

"Enter Password"

Alt+r only enters "r" into the password field => so the Bios seems to new to have a recovery mode 🤔

so that at least sounds promising - but how do you update/downgrade a bios if your PC only shows "Enter Password" no way to select to Boot from USB or so?

any other ideas? 🙏

1) Open it up and remove the built in battery (as there is no CMOS battery as far as I could find)
2) Start it up without the battery (hoping to somehow be able to enter the bios to at least read the date)

Having similar issues, its been quite a while since i started troubleshooting with this problem, thus far no solution, i will try every solution i find reasonable in this thread and make an update to this post, regarding anyone having trouble finding CMOS in my laptop its on the bottom of the motherboard and it looks this (attached image) and the ALT + R as it was discussed in previous replies also didnt work.. any new ideas are welcomed, again i will update this post if i find something that works or not for me. My laptop is ASUS ROG STRIX G531G (this is whats in the box but i cant quite find the exact model)

EDIT: ASUS support is useless with this issue if you came across this thread you probably already tried asus support but regardless i keep the warning.

image_2023-09-25_020225139.png

On 7/14/2023 at 4:43 AM, daKmoR said:

"Enter Password"

any other ideas? 🙏

Finally solved! For anyone that had the same problem as I had in that ALT + R did not work (nothing happened) and there being no cmos on the board to remove, the below instructions worked for me. As the instructions say, keep trying. It took me many, many goes to short the pins (working awkwardly with the laptop on its side) to remove the power on password and enter the bios, but eventually it worked.

https://davidzou.com/articles/bios-password-bypass

Hoping this helps someone else too 🙂

EDIT: David's instructions say to press F1 but for my Asus it was F2 that I needed to repeatedly press to enter the bios. Repeatedly press whatever key your laptop manufacturer says is needed to normally enter the bios while shorting the pins he says to. This solution should work on all brands.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2023 at 7:25 PM, Ermione said:

Finally solved! For anyone that had the same problem as I had in that ALT + R did not work (nothing happened) and there being no cmos on the board to remove, the below instructions worked for me. As the instructions say, keep trying. It took me many, many goes to short the pins (working awkwardly with the laptop on its side) to remove the power on password and enter the bios, but eventually it worked.

https://davidzou.com/articles/bios-password-bypass

Hoping this helps someone else too 🙂

EDIT: David's instructions say to press F1 but for my Asus it was F2 that I needed to repeatedly press to enter the bios. Repeatedly press whatever key your laptop manufacturer says is needed to normally enter the bios while shorting the pins he says to. This solution should work on all brands.

Thanks man, this one worked like a charm. My model is asus A409j, while trying to swap NVMe i got curious and started the laptop and all i know is i got that Enter Password text box. And after countless shorting attempt, there it is the Asus logo and straight to Bios.