Intel 750 SSD on Ryzen

I am going to build a new PC over the summer and wanted to know if anyone knew anything about NVMe drive compatibility.

I currently have an Intel 750 series SSD in my PC, but I can't boot to it because my fx-4300 board has no NVMe support.

Would the 750 series work in a Ryzen build as a boot SSD?

The new boards should all ship with the appropriate NVMe firmware module already installed.  You could probably retrofit the module to your fx4300 board as well, if you are a decent BIOS hacker.

NVME boot support is more about the OS and less so about the motherboard, more or less. As some measure of proof, this web page tested the 750 Series on an 990FX board: https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Intel-SSD-750-Series-PCIe-Compatibility-Tested

In other words, with a compatible OS and a M.2 to PCIe adapter, you should be able to use an NVME drive on any PCIe motherboard. At least that's the theory.

Yes it should, but unless you're doing video editing or any other things that require large file transfers I don't recommend getting an nvme drive. Tests have shown that in booting up and loading games/applications theres is basically no difference between a decent SATA SSD and a high end nvme drive. So unless you're video editing or something, there's no point in anything more than an 850 evo.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! This was a really big help!