Could use some recommendations please :)

grillechese

Hey all, 

I've been wanting to get into the audiophile scene and just want a better music experience.

These pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 are kinda old and aren't doing it for me (I got them for free).

I've got a budget of $200-250. Want over-ear headphones, closed or open is fine with me, just generally good build quality.

I assume that I may need a DAC/AMP? I not entirely sure about those things (if I even need one)

That's where i hope you guys come in and help me out. I'd rather spend the money on the headphones and wait on the DAC/AMP for later if that's a thing.

Thanks!

well there are lots of good headphones in that price range, but we kinda need more info about your taste in audio. Do you have a preference when it comes to the signature? (bass, mids, treble)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, grillechese said:

I assume that I may need a DAC/AMP? I not entirely sure about those things (if I even need one)

It depends on what will be powering the headphones, and which headphone it is specifically. To add to this, please ignore Ohm ratings as they don't give you an idea on how hard to drive they are.

Consider reading through these threads to get an idea on what all of this stuff is.

11 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

SNIP

Think you forgot a post :P 

Sure it is also very basic, but I added the power part and the math behind it (in detailed steps).

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

I figured the ones I linked would be more relevant since they may not need an dac and/or amp - just for a more in-depth overview on what all of that stuff does, not necessarily for recommendations since they may not need one of those.

I wasn't really even going to link the FAQ it as the headphone one is more relevant.

19 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well there are lots of good headphones in that price range, but we kinda need more info about your taste in audio. Do you have a preference when it comes to the signature? (bass, mids, treble)

bit of everything :P mainly bass and treb  though. I'm not entirely picky

i got recomended a pair of Senhiser HD558's, they are amazing to listen too but seeing as your budget stretches far beyond their cost there is probably something way better for you. i would compleatly trust what @Dackzy and @SSL tell you because they truely know what they are talking about :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i got recomended a pair of Senhiser HD558's, they are amazing to listen too but seeing as your budget stretches far beyond their cost there is probably something way better for you. i would compleatly trust what @Dackzy and @SSL tell you because they truely know what they are talking about :D 

not me?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

not me?

i forget about you, i remember your blue fan but i dont remember your name lol :P im pretty sure you were one of the people telling me to get these headphones lol. i will never, ever again cheap out on my daily driver headphones for at home use because these are just amazing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, grillechese said:

bit of everything :P mainly bass and treb  though. I'm not entirely picky

the DT990 comes to my mind when you want some focus in bass and treble, but the treble in those can be a bit harsh for some people, a headphone with a more balanced bass and treble boost, would be some AKG K553.

8 hours ago, spwath said:

not me?

:P:D

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

the DT990 comes to my mind when you want some focus in bass and treble, but the treble in those can be a bit harsh for some people, a headphone with a more balanced bass and treble boost, would be some AKG K553.

Thanks! :D

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

what would you recommended with one for more bass?

37 minutes ago, grillechese said:

what would you recommended with one for more bass?

If you want more bass then we start entering the bass head area with Vmoda M100 (with XL pads)

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

If you want more bass then we start entering the bass head area with Vmoda M100 (with XL pads)

know of any others than just that one?

31 minutes ago, grillechese said:

know of any others than just that one?

Maybe the NAD HP50.