Freesync and G-Sync

Simonsez1337
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
6 minutes ago, Simonsez1337 said:

General question here. Does anyone believe there is any chance that Nvidia will someday support Freesync? I currently have a cheap 1080p monitor and I am looking to upgrade seeing as how I have a GTX 1080. Monoprice now has a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor for $300, much more affordable than a comparative G-sync monitor. Looking for any advice here or ideas. 

Considering they haven't as of now, I'd be more surprised if they did.

But seriously, NVIDIA should support it. As an armchair business person, that makes more sense to me considering it gives its customers more options to play with. NVIDIA supports CUDA and OpenCL, and I'm sure that alone makes a lot of the HPC crowd more willing to buy NVIDIA than AMD (it also doesn't help that CUDA had its foot in the door earlier and lots of established code doesn't get ported to something else just because)

EDIT: FreeSync is part of the VESA DisplayPort spec, meaning that AMD isn't (or shouldn't be) charging a license fee to use it.

EDIT 2: Well looked it over, and yes, FreeSync is royalty free and open to use. NVIDIA has almost no reason to not support it.

General question here. Does anyone believe there is any chance that Nvidia will someday support Freesync? I currently have a cheap 1080p monitor and I am looking to upgrade seeing as how I have a GTX 1080. Monoprice now has a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor for $300, much more affordable than a comparative G-sync monitor. Looking for any advice here or ideas. 

2 minutes ago, Simonsez1337 said:

*Inhales Deeply*

BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

AMD owns Freesync, so that means AMD licensing their propietary stuff to NVIDIA, the larger of the two.

Thats like Intel asking AMD to liscense them their circuit diagrams

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Not any time soon. If they decide to support another standard, it will likely be AdaptiveSync (essentially the same as FreeSync, but is managed by VESA rather than AMD). I can only see that happening if AMD really pushes hard on the GPU front and if virtually all displays support FreeSync. In that case, Nvidia may be forced to change tactics. 

6 minutes ago, Simonsez1337 said:

Considering they haven't as of now, I'd be more surprised if they did.

But seriously, NVIDIA should support it. As an armchair business person, that makes more sense to me considering it gives its customers more options to play with. NVIDIA supports CUDA and OpenCL, and I'm sure that alone makes a lot of the HPC crowd more willing to buy NVIDIA than AMD (it also doesn't help that CUDA had its foot in the door earlier and lots of established code doesn't get ported to something else just because)

EDIT: FreeSync is part of the VESA DisplayPort spec, meaning that AMD isn't (or shouldn't be) charging a license fee to use it.

EDIT 2: Well looked it over, and yes, FreeSync is royalty free and open to use. NVIDIA has almost no reason to not support it.

It's highly unlikely that Nvidia will support Freesync, unless Vega and Freesync monitors dethrone G-sync and Volta by a huge margin.

@deXxterlab97 @UberGamerKing

While AMD created the specific substandard that is Freesync, it's ultimately open source and currently available to Intel and Nvidia to use without paying licensing fees. Otherwise, AMD loses the licensing required to keep Freesync in its current form.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

FreeSync technology was made by AMD

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

There is no way they would do that. It's like asking if GTX gpu will support AMD Relive

Mr. Nitpick here. AMD technically didn't create FreeSync, or at least not the base of the technology. That was created by VESA in the form of AdaptiveSync. FreeSync is basically AdaptiveSync but slightly modified by AMD (it also works over HDMI, while AdaptiveSync only works over DP)

34 minutes ago, Simonsez1337 said:

They already basically use it in their mobile G-sync displays

But I'd go for this display man, 1440p 144hz and most importantly IPS

Just upgrade to vega at some point in the future potentially

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?