M.2 sharing bandwidth on maximus IX

Willigerb

Will nvme mp500 x 2 in raid configuration still run at its advertised speed on a maximus IX motherboard, because it says it shairs bandwidth with SATA?
 Willigerb

My first day ?

Get a single ssd, 2 won't be any faster in usage. Also id personally get a 960 evo or pro.

Its not sharing bandwith with sata, it will be facer.

21 minutes ago, Willigerb said:

Will nvme mp500 x 2 in raid configuration still run at its advertised speed on a maximus IX motherboard, because it says it shairs bandwidth with SATA?
 Willigerb

My first day ?

Intel chipsets from Skylake onwards have a number of PCIe lanes (typically 20) for manufacturers to use as they like. Some of these go to the non-graphics PCIe slots, others drive the ports and plugs for hardware. In the case of NVME, it requires four PCIe lanes. In the case of SATA, it requires one. In order to maximize ports, most motherboard manufacturers will put four of those PCIe lanes with two used by a SATA port, in addition to another two PCIe lanes not tied to anything else. This means if you plug in an NVME drive, it will disable those two SATA ports.

That only counts if you're using a SATA m.2 SSD as one or more SATA ports would be disabled when using a SATA m.2 SSD

NvME m.2 SSDs use PCIe lanes and depending on the motherboard, it'll either share bandwidth with a specific PCIe slot or run on its own using either the PCIe lanes on the processor or through the motherboards chipset.

On 2/21/2017 at 4:38 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Intel chipsets from Skylake onwards have a number of PCIe lanes (typically 20) for manufacturers to use as they like. Some of these go to the non-graphics PCIe slots, others drive the ports and plugs for hardware. In the case of NVME, it requires four PCIe lanes. In the case of SATA, it requires one. In order to maximize ports, most motherboard manufacturers will put four of those PCIe lanes with two used by a SATA port, in addition to another two PCIe lanes not tied to anything else. This means if you plug in an NVME drive, it will disable those two SATA ports.

Awesome thank you!

On 2/21/2017 at 4:20 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get a single ssd, 2 won't be any faster in usage. Also id personally get a 960 evo or pro.

Its not sharing bandwith with sata, it will be facer.

I have an ssd from previous build, toshiba q series pro, and was interested in setting up a raid 0 with m.2 onboard ssd's (never done before because I'm still wet behind the ears as a techie, although i've seen it done for this motherboard and it looks simple).

My last build was 7 years ago, so i'm still doing research on what motherboard I need with the i7 7700k (purchased) so I can do a little first time OC. 

any suggestions from owners? 
many thanks and sorry if i'm off topic

willigerb

On 2/21/2017 at 4:38 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Sounds like I will still get my NVME speeds. I just need to pick a motherboard...

thanks I appreciate it!

willigerb