Loud Server Fans

iamMINT

Not my video, just wanting to post it and talk about how loud servers are. I've got some supermicro stuff laying around, stuff is loud. Usually doesn't go past vacuum cleaner levels of loudness but, I've been in some server rooms before that go full on 'jet taking off' levels of earshatteringly loud servers at max loads. 

I know why too, its just all the little fans in there at such crazy high rpm's. Not only are they seriously whiny but to they squeal sometimes from how fast they have to spin. I love it.

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list. 

13 minutes ago, JohnBRoark said:

I know why too, its just all the little fans in there at such crazy high rpm's. Not only are they seriously whiny but to they squeal sometimes from how fast they have to spin. I love it.

well that's more of a side effect of why the reason is because they want the best cooling and since only people working on the servers are near them they don't care if they are loud since there's no reason to make them quieter

I don't understand how one unit can be so loud, I have 2 1U Dell blade servers at my house and they usually top out at around 45-50db combined...

Then again the servers are in my basement which stays ~15-300 F cooler than my upstairs room temperature as there is no heating system in the basement.

31 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

I don't understand how one unit can be so loud, I have 2 1U Dell blade servers at my house and they usually top out at around 45-50db combined...

Then again the servers are in my basement which stays ~15-300 F cooler than my upstairs room temperature as there is no heating system in the basement.

Well they're so loud because of the type of fans in a system like that. There's usually a line of a bunch of little tiny fans. These things have to spin up REAL fast to push all the air through the entire server. Its nothing like a large PC fan that doesn't have to spin very much.

51 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

There are alot of instances of server grade redundant PSU's where one model has the above effect, but the higher grade PSU's have much better done cooling. I've had this happen on switching from 800 Watt HP redundants, which sounded absolutely horrible like this, to 1250 watt redundants, which are literally silent.

Yeah yeah totally. I even have some bootleg 150 -300 watt psu's that sound like crap. I love it though. 

I work as a contractor for everything from photo/video to broadcast and networking. 

I use an old HP Laptop forked up on top of a photography textbook. 

Right now this is what I use: Fuji X100T, Fuji X100, Fuji X-E1, XF 18 f2, XF 35 1.4, Nikon d7000, Nikkor 180 2,8 AFIS, Nikkor 60 1.8.

I've got more crap laying around for other jobs and hobbies, though a lot of that isn't applicable to the interests of this forum, so I'll keep myself back from adding it all to the list.