Does hdmi cable matter?

Will any old hdmi cable do 4k at 60 or am I looking for something specific. I know all about hdmi revisions and 2.0 and what not, but Im not sure if the cable has to be hdmi 2.0 compliant. 

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

Pretty much, as long as it is not longer than 10ft. Not sure about v2.1 though, don't know much about bandwidth and connections for 2.1...

My native language is C++

2 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Will any old hdmi cable do 4k at 60 or am I looking for something specific. I know all about hdmi revisions and 2.0 and what not, but Im not sure if the cable has to be hdmi 2.0 compliant. 

Typically HDMI cable doesn't matter unless it's category 1 (or very, very old... around 10+ years). Try using your existing cables and see what happens first before buying new ones.

to a point yes. you have cables that arent capable of some things, and you have cables that are capable of much more than it says on the box.

what i usually suggest is to get the cheapest cable that "claims" to do what you need it to do, so if then it doesnt, you can just return it to the store, because it does not what it says it does.

and if you already have cables, just try them, chances are at least one of them is grossly under-rated.

20 minutes ago, technocrat_13 said:

No

that is the absolutely most terrible example to pull up here, it's essentially like someone asking if a car's horsepower matters for the daily commute, and pulling up a comparison of a veryon vs a mercedes s class.

--

that said, yes, that specific cable is pretty worthless.

You have to remember that HDMI is basically a series of 1s and 0s. It either works, or it doesn't. I have many cables at home. Some "high speed" labeled. Some not. No one in my house notices a difference. Neither do I.

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case