Skylake i7 6700k equivalent i7 6400t engineering prototype

Recently built a gaming rig, with the h170a gaming pro from msi, the processor I used was a skylake i5 6500, and 16gb of RAM.

When rendering videos I have to wait a while, but recently found a i7 6400t engineering prototype on taobao a Chinese auction site , despite being an engineering sample it has the potential of a skylake i7 6700 which is a cpu used in most mid-high ranged PCs, but is the i7 6400t capable of speeds which the skylake i7 6700 can , without overclocking?, If not which engineering sample processor can match the speed of an i7 6700 with no overclocking??

PS: I don't mind using an engineering sample, since speed is more important to me , also note that h170a chipset doesn't support overclocking! I am trying for the QH8G variant since it is cheaper than the QHQG

Screenshot_20170217-165523.png

This looks more than sketchy... Also, theoretically selling Intel ES chips is illegal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Enginering samples are ilegal, that also looks shady as shit and i would stay away

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Well, it says 2,2 ghz, so even it it works alright it wouldnt be faster than the i5.

In case you havent seen it already, here is a video about those cpus:

These chips are legit Skylake CPUs with lower clock speeds and different proceccor stepping.

A0 proceccor stepping should be avoided, IMO, as there are lots of troubles with stability (and no iGPU if you care).

Q0 processor stepping is what "kinda" safe to get. It's overclocable (as there is no artificial intel block on it), quite stable even under around 4HZ and (in most cases) does not require BIOS update for mobo. Q0 chips have following model numbers: QHJQ, QHQG, QHJE, QHQF with the 2nd and 4th model been most common (2.2 and 2.6 clock speeds respectivly).

I don't know, if you need to care about legal side of it, but, of course, it's violation of every possible Intel NDA or EULA. (For you as a customer that shouldn't be a concern)

I've had some expeience with QHQG model, and it worked fine*, but your mileage may vary.

*By fine i mean it worked in the end, but i've invested 3 days of googling, translating web pages from whatever language they were and actual overclocking on Z170.

18 minutes ago, SomeSin said:

These chips are legit Skylake CPUs with lower clock speeds and different proceccor stepping.

A0 proceccor stepping should be avoided, IMO, as there are lots of troubles with stability (and no iGPU if you care).

Q0 processor stepping is what "kinda" safe to get. It's overclocable (as there is no artificial intel block on it), quite stable even under around 4HZ and (in most cases) does not require BIOS update for mobo. Q0 chips have following model numbers: QHJQ, QHQG, QHJE, QHQF with the 2nd and 4th model been most common (2.2 and 2.6 clock speeds respectivly).

I don't know, if you need to care about legal side of it, but, of course, it's violation of every possible Intel NDA or EULA. (For you as a customer that shouldn't be a concern)

I've had some expeience with QHQG model, and it worked fine*, but your mileage may vary.

*By fine i mean it worked in the end, but i've invested 3 days of googling, translating web pages from whatever language they were and actual overclocking on Z170.

I cant and dont want to overclock this processor since i have a non-overclockable chipset h170a gaming pro msi motherboard, and I really want to have the power of an i7 6700 processor for video editing using adobe premiere, and also minor gaming in mind.

I have a gtx 1050ti external graphics card, so the non functional igpu is not a problem, for stability issues, seldom shutdowns while in use is not a problem for me. 

i am also willing to put time and research into this plan, and i am going for QH8G instead of a QHQG , because of the cheaper 80 dollar price on taobao.

do i need to update the bios on my motherboard, the h170a gaming pro ?

and will i get the performance of a i7 6700 processor not considering the issues of instability?

1 hour ago, applehacker321 said:

snip

Okay, sorry for "general overview".

Step by step - QH8G are from the least stable A0 generation, and there is no possible way to know will it work on your mobo. Maybe it will work with some bios revision (try to check on hwtips.tistory.com), maybe it won't.

Without overcloking stability aint too big of an issue (it works surprisigly well for the first samples of new product), but performance won't be top-of-the line. 2.2HZ even with 8 threads aren't too good (tho i recommend to find equivalent Xeon, for example, and compare the scores, you will have at least some impression of performance on that).

More on that - with A0 stepping series your PCI-E can be blocked from using rev. 3.0 to rev. 1.0, lul. Or it might be not. Or it can be 2.0. Or it will be 1.0 or 2.0 if you'll flash a special bios which you may or may not find. EXTREME amounts of variables.

TL;DR:

Research as much as you can before buying. Try to find info (and/or bios) for your exact mobo. Pray.

Some benchmarks i've found on some Russian site, give or take:

https://3dnews.ru/943526/page-2.html

EDIT: And my most valueable advice. Don't do that if you can't affrod to throw that processor away. I've played with it out of pure curiocity, not for practical use (tho i've gifted mobo with overclocked proc to my friend who's still using it)

Edited by SomeSin

On 2/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, SomeSin said:

Okay, sorry for "general overview".

Step by step - QH8G are from the least stable A0 generation, and there is no possible way to know will it work on your mobo. Maybe it will work with some bios revision (try to check on hwtips.tistory.com), maybe it won't.

Without overcloking stability aint too big of an issue (it works surprisigly well for the first samples of new product), but performance won't be top-of-the line. 2.2HZ even with 8 threads aren't too good (tho i recommend to find equivalent Xeon, for example, and compare the scores, you will have at least some impression of performance on that).

More on that - with A0 stepping series your PCI-E can be blocked from using rev. 3.0 to rev. 1.0, lul. Or it might be not. Or it can be 2.0. Or it will be 1.0 or 2.0 if you'll flash a special bios which you may or may not find. EXTREME amounts of variables.

TL;DR:

Research as much as you can before buying. Try to find info (and/or bios) for your exact mobo. Pray.

Some benchmarks i've found on some Russian site, give or take:

https://3dnews.ru/943526/page-2.html

EDIT: And my most valueable advice. Don't do that if you can't affrod to throw that processor away. I've played with it out of pure curiocity, not for practical use (tho i've gifted mobo with overclocked proc to my friend who's still using it)

I have researched on many websites about the QHQG AND QH8G variants but all of the sites were about the z170 overclockable chipset, none of them were about h170a, h110, b150......these budget chipsets.

I know that this processor has a good price performance while overclocking, but for a budget build, buying z170 motherboards is expensive, do you have an non OC chipset that you can test on, or know any website that uses a budget non OC chipset??

3 hours ago, applehacker321 said:

snip

The main reason why these processors are used on z170 mobos is that they have really low clock speeds, compared to ordinary chips. I do not recommend using them on budget mobos. Please check that russian link i've posted - benchmarks for non-overclocked versions are awful. Check if your mobo (and these processors) supports BCLK overclock, tho it's tricky (and even more tricky on those engeneering samples)

For reference:

Seconds, less is better

photoshop.png

Seconds, less is better

premiere.png

As you can see non-overclocked i7 6400T is worse then even i5-6400, but overclocked version has almost the same perfomance as 6700K.

I think we came to conclusion - do not buy it if you can't overclock it. More on that, do not buy it if it will hurt your wallet (remember that it's dodgy as hell, especially A0).

i've been researching these alot, apparently if you have a motherboard that can have high bclk overclocking (180 and up) these 2.2 chips can reach 4.3ghz, in the test i seen one of these at 4 ghz matched a stocked 6700k in performance,which means they are exactly the same thing clock for clock.

the awesome thing about these are they are $98 on alibaba. making it less that 1/3 of the price of the 6700k. im researching which motherboards are best for them and im buying one to play with.

heres one at 3.8 ghz compared to stock 6700k

900x900px-LL-f4470f8f_Capture.PNG

cpu - i7 4790k  gpu - evga sc 980ti   ram - 16gb gskill sniper