Connecting headphones to front audio of case shuts down PC

l4zyluke

Hey guys!

I wanted to get some input to a problem of mine: I have a fractal design define r5 case and the front audio is connected to my mobo's (Asus X99 Deluxe II) hd audio header. I'm using my new build for just about 10 days. But now when I'm connecting my headphones to the front audio of the case, the computer sometimes shuts down abruptly and restarts. No BSOD, no nothing. Windows Event Viewer doesn't give more information. It even behaves like this if the headphone jack just touches the socket. It doesn't happen everytime. Do you think there is something wrong with the cable of my case that connects the front audio to the mobo or do you think it is the motherboard itself? One test i could think of is taking an old case of mine, yank out the needed cable and connect it to my mobo, then see what happens. Just asking to get a second oppinion. Thank you for any input!

Unplug your pc and turn off the psu. Then unplug the hd audio and all your front panel connectors inspect the cabling and make sure nothing is shorted or bent.

Grab the mobo manual and double check everything as you plug it all back in.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

11 minutes ago, l4zyluke said:

Hey guys!

I wanted to get some input to a problem of mine: I have a fractal design define r5 case and the front audio is connected to my mobo's (Asus X99 Deluxe II) hd audio header. I'm using my new build for just about 10 days. But now when I'm connecting my headphones to the front audio of the case, the computer sometimes shuts down abruptly and restarts. No BSOD, no nothing. Windows Event Viewer doesn't give more information. It even behaves like this if the headphone jack just touches the socket. It doesn't happen everytime. Do you think there is something wrong with the cable of my case that connects the front audio to the mobo or do you think it is the motherboard itself? One test i could think of is taking an old case of mine, yank out the needed cable and connect it to my mobo, then see what happens. Just asking to get a second oppinion. Thank you for any input!

Turn on/off Asus Anti-Surge after doing what @it_dont_workdid and test if it changes anything as well.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thanks for you answers. I already disconnected all other front panel connectors to see if that changes anything. Inspecting the cables would be the next logical step. Wouldn't it be a little dangerous to disable anti-surge if I miss a damaged part of the audio cable? But your answers tell me it's more likely the fault of the case and not the mobo.

45 minutes ago, l4zyluke said:

Thanks for you answers. I already disconnected all other front panel connectors to see if that changes anything. Inspecting the cables would be the next logical step. Wouldn't it be a little dangerous to disable anti-surge if I miss a damaged part of the audio cable? But your answers tell me it's more likely the fault of the case and not the mobo.

There's generally no harm in turning it off as it's software-based voltage reading which isn't accurate and can cause the PC to shut off for stupid reasons but it can protect against real surges as can any decent PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I connected my motherboard to another cases front panel and there was no sudden loss of power when I plug something in. I think I will just RMA the case since it is relatively new. @STRMfrmXMN I just read your interesting post about ASUS Anti-Surge. Might be an explanation for the loss of of power in the room I had last week when I plugged the power cable into the PSU (which is brand new).

Thanks for your help.