Any Cisco Guys Willing to Help with Basic Router Config?

ShadowWolf810

Ah, so the ports are reversed in terms of what's the WAN and LAN ports, gotta love it :)

So then I guess you'll need to change Gi0 to Gi9, hopefully, in the config.

I'll be around tonight and tomorrow night if you want to setup a webex or something to look at it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Hmm I see, well I appreciate the help. I really don't know anything about these, everything I've learned about this router, and most of my networking knowledge, has just come from researching this thing. The school is a university and I know it has its own B Class network, and I believe this is the router at least for the whole building but I really don't know much beyond that. 

Its not imperative that I get it working by tomorrow, if you have time to help more later do let me know!

Have a read through this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/dhcpvlan.html

As @LAwLz said there are different types of ports on that Cisco 892FSP. Use the WAN port to connect to the university network and use the group of 8 switch ports to connects PCs or switches to. You don't want DHCP traffic or services on your WAN port, the university IT department will be less than impressed. The default behavior should be this and only has DHCP services on the 8 switch ports, TEST THIS BEFORE plugging in to the university network.

15 hours ago, Lurick said:

Ah, so the ports are reversed in terms of what's the WAN and LAN ports, gotta love it :)

So then I guess you'll need to change Gi0 to Gi9, hopefully, in the config.

I'll be around tonight and tomorrow night if you want to setup a webex or something to look at it.

Tomorrow night would be great for you go through it with me, around this time tomorrow night would be great, or a few hours earlier. I'll try just switching the config of Gi0 to Gi9 and see if it works before then but if not some help would be great. 

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Have a read through this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/dhcpvlan.html

As @LAwLz said there are different types of ports on that Cisco 892FSP. Use the WAN port to connect to the university network and use the group of 8 switch ports to connects PCs or switches to. You don't want DHCP traffic or services on your WAN port, the university IT department will be less than impressed. The default behavior should be this and only has DHCP services on the 8 switch ports, TEST THIS BEFORE plugging in to the university network.

So currently the set up is that there is a switch in the back room which has a line from the ISP going into it, as well as the 2 switches that are out in the lab itself going into it, which connect all the computers and give them internet access. The router only needs to act as a DHCP server for the 20 or so computers in the lab. So I'm fairly certain there shouldn't be any DHCP services going over the WAN port. I've only seen basic commands for enabling the DHCP server of the router. What commands do you need to use to apply those services only to the switch ports and not to the wan. The commands I've seen so far seem to be more of a global on off type. 

Haven't had a chance to look over you're link thoroughly yet so perhaps the answer is in there, the router is an 890 series instead of 870 but should be close enough

1 hour ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

So currently the set up is that there is a switch in the back room which has a line from the ISP going into it, as well as the 2 switches that are out in the lab itself going into it, which connect all the computers and give them internet access. The router only needs to act as a DHCP server for the 20 or so computers in the lab. So I'm fairly certain there shouldn't be any DHCP services going over the WAN port. I've only seen basic commands for enabling the DHCP server of the router. What commands do you need to use to apply those services only to the switch ports and not to the wan. The commands I've seen so far seem to be more of a global on off type. 

Haven't had a chance to look over you're link thoroughly yet so perhaps the answer is in there, the router is an 890 series instead of 870 but should be close enough

Ok that gives me a better idea of what you are doing, was assuming you were going to plug the router in to the main network rather than having you own dedicated internet connection.

You shouldn't have to worry about DHCP on the WAN interface since on that device I'm pretty sure it only runs them on the switched interfaces. I don't have much working experience with the Cisco 800 series routers, @Lurick is probably more up to play with Cisco equipment than I am now (or ever was for that matter).

Only bothered mentioning it since I thought the plan was to hook the WAN in to the university network and as a person that works for a university IT department I know we'd be rather annoyed if someone put in place a DHCP server to fight without ours lol. We have departments that do what you are wanting to and we're more than happy for them to do it, we just make sure they aren't going to break us or use them.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:52 AM, LAwLz said:

On 2/11/2017 at 5:13 AM, Lurick said:

Am currently at school and have access to the back room so everything is set up as it would be, am wondering if either of you would be available to help me, now-ish. I ended up just running the built in start up configuration set of commands to start over because nothing was working. I've managed to get the entire lab to connect to the internet, but right now theres another router higher in the chain somewhere thats doing the DHCP serving for each computer. Basically we want this computer lab to be on its own local network, and have this router assign IP addresses through DHCP to the computers in the lab, but also have internet access for all the computers. The idea is that the university would only see the Router I'm working on as one single machine with a lot of traffic to the internet, instead of 20 computers individually. 

If its at all convenient to help out that would very much be appreciated, but other information on how to set it up is also welcome! 

7 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Am currently at school and have access to the back room so everything is set up as it would be, am wondering if either of you would be available to help me, now-ish. I ended up just running the built in start up configuration set of commands to start over because nothing was working. I've managed to get the entire lab to connect to the internet, but right now theres another router higher in the chain somewhere thats doing the DHCP serving for each computer. Basically we want this computer lab to be on its own local network, and have this router assign IP addresses through DHCP to the computers in the lab, but also have internet access for all the computers. The idea is that the university would only see the Router I'm working on as one single machine with a lot of traffic to the internet, instead of 20 computers individually. 

If its at all convenient to help out that would very much be appreciated, but other information on how to set it up is also welcome! 

You would need to setup the WAN port to get it's address using DHCP and plug the main network in to that port, you then need to isolate the 20 computers to a switch and plug that in to your routers LAN port.

Make sure your LAN port does not in any way lead to the main network else you'll have conflicting DHCP servers.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You would need to setup the WAN port to get it's address using DHCP and plug the main network in to that port, you then need to isolate the 20 computers to a switch and plug that in to your routers LAN port.

Make sure your LAN port does not in any way lead to the main network else you'll have conflicting DHCP servers.

Ok so all I need to do is the DHCP part of what you said. At one point yesterday I had Gi8 getting its IP from DHCP but for some reason that setting didn't stick today when I came back. All the 20 lab computers are going into 2 switches, and those two switches (and some other various computers i.e theres a main lab and then there are edit suites so each of those have a dedicated line but don't worry about those, for sake of clarity) are going into the Gi0-Gi7 Ports.

(Also sorry I missed quoting you in it as well, appreciate the short notice help :D) 

1 minute ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Ok so all I need to do is the DHCP part of what you said. At one point yesterday I had Gi8 getting its IP from DHCP but for some reason that setting didn't stick today when I came back. All the computers are going into 2 switches, and those two switches (and some other various computers i.e theres a main lab and then there are edit suites so each of those have a dedicated line but don't worry about those, for sake of clarity) are going into the Gi0-Gi7 Ports.

(Also sorry I missed quoting you in it as well, appreciate the short notice help :D) 

I followed the thread so any posts in it I get notified :).

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I followed the thread so any posts in it I get notified :).

Ah well thank you. So what commands would I be looking to use to assign Gi8 to get its IP for DHCP. I assume I also have to set up a DHCP pool to tell the 20 computers their local network ip range? 

18 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Am currently at school and have access to the back room so everything is set up as it would be, am wondering if either of you would be available to help me, now-ish.

Sorry, but it's 23:20 where I live and I got work tomorrow morning.

18 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

I've managed to get the entire lab to connect to the internet, but right now theres another router higher in the chain somewhere thats doing the DHCP serving for each computer.

That should not happen. Routers don't pass on DHCP messages by default. Are you sure it's not your router giving out IP addresses?

Router# show dhcp binding

I think that command will show you if the router's DHCP server has given out any IP addresses.

You should also be able to run:

Router# show ip interface brief

to see if Gig8 has received an IP from a DHCP server. If it has the it will say DHCP under "Method".

4 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Ah well thank you. So what commands would I be looking to use to assign Gi8 to get its IP for DHCP. I assume I also have to set up a DHCP pool to tell the 20 computers their local network ip range? 

Go in to the configuration of the port and issue 'ip address dhcp'

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sorry, but it's 23:20 where I live and I got work tomorrow morning.

That should not happen. Routers don't pass on DHCP messages by default. Are you sure it's not your router giving out IP addresses?

Router# show dhcp binding

I think that command will show you if the router's DHCP server has given out any IP addresses.

You should also be able to run:

Router# show ip interface brief

to see if Gig8 has received an IP from a DHCP server. If it has the it will say DHCP under "Method".

I totally understand if you need to go! Here are screenshots 

https://gyazo.com/9b8d5c72b822979b9f116b6598559ce5

show ip interface brief 

https://gyazo.com/48a2b6017cadf60daa5a636961a984c5

2 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Ok I did that but doesn't seem to have changed anything 

https://gyazo.com/3ace9defad54a487d584d3605dbf34b6

Ok so it is, and was, setup for DHCP. Unplug the cable and plug it back in to refresh the lease, if it's not getting one then maybe you have been blocked from getting a DHCP address.

Ok so it is, and was, setup for DHCP. Unplug the cable and plug it back in to refresh the lease, if it's not getting one then maybe you have been blocked from getting a DHCP address.

Well that would be fun. If thats the case, theres still the issue of trying to set up the web interface so that I can get to it without having to have the back room unlocked for me. If we could figure that out as well that'd be great. I'll unplug the university internet connection from the router and put it back and see if it changes

2 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Well that would be fun. If thats the case, theres still the issue of trying to set up the web interface so that I can get to it without having to have the back room unlocked for me. If we could figure that out as well that'd be great. I'll unplug the university internet connection from the router and put it back and see if it changes

You should be able to setup telnet or ssh access, likely one of those is already enabled.

You should be able to setup telnet or ssh access, likely one of those is already enabled.

Ok, commands for doing that? See I'm using PuTTy on my Windows laptop right now connected with a console cable. I see that I can choose ssh or telnet as a connection type. I think I'd be able to do that from outside in the lab as well, but not sure what IP to use. Is the default gateway essentially the IP of the router that I'd use to do it? I've followed all the steps on Cisco website to enable the http server and whatnot to be able to log into the Web UI but haven't been able to connect to any other way. 

I unplugged the cable and put it back in but a new show ip interface brief is the same as the old one, Gi8 ip is still unassigned

8 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

I unplugged the cable and put it back in but a new show ip interface brief is the same as the old one, Gi8 ip is still unassigned

Might have to talk to the IT department, would be better if they gave you a static IP to assign too.

35 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Might have to talk to the IT department, would be better if they gave you a static IP to assign too.

So I actually managed to get it to be assigned a DHCP address again. 

48 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I redid the built in configuration so now Gi8 has a DHCP address. I went through and set up the network to be 192.168.1.0 and a pool to be used 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 and excluded the router from that etc. 

I went back out to check the computers and they are now connected to a different network, but its not the network that I set up. Now they're connected to 10.0.0.1 as the router and as the DNS server, and for example one computer has an IP of 10.0.0.15. Its got internet access and everything but Im not sure why its giving me 10.0.0.x IPs instead of 192.168.1.x IP

57 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Ok nevermind the 10.x IPs are coming from an Apple router that was supposed to be our backup plan. Even though it was only connected via a lan port it turns out that the DHCP requests from the computers were still going to it instead of mine. Tried turning it off and seeing if the Cisco one would send out any but it didn't. 

7 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

I redid the built in configuration so now Gi8 has a DHCP address. I went through and set up the network to be 192.168.1.0 and a pool to be used 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200 and excluded the router from that etc. 

I went back out to check the computers and they are now connected to a different network, but its not the network that I set up. Now they're connected to 10.0.0.1 as the router and as the DNS server, and for example one computer has an IP of 10.0.0.15. Its got internet access and everything but Im not sure why its giving me 10.0.0.x IPs instead of 192.168.1.x IP

Do an ipconfig /all on the computer and note down the DHCP server IP.

Would also help to see that running config.

1 minute ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

Ok nevermind the 10.x IPs are coming from an Apple router that was supposed to be our backup plan. Even though it was only connected via a lan port it turns out that the DHCP requests from the computers were still going to it instead of mine. Tried turning it off and seeing if the Cisco one would send out any but it didn't. 

That is how DHCP works, only have 1 DHCP on a network segment. Disable DHCP server on the Apple router for now so you don't cause yourself to have issues.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Ended up heading home for the day, am going to be going back tomorrow to work on it some more. Had my Windows laptop but didn't think to try to check everything from Windows, and wasn't sure exactly how to see the DHCP server in Mac Network Preferences. Yeah the Apple router is only there for testing purposes and to be in case we really need proper networking for classes, but I did unplug afterward. 

I'll be there tomorrow an hour or so before I posted today so if you're available I can post the running config of it and see where to go from there. I think its super close to being set up correctly. 

Can you tell me why following the instructions on this page wouldn't work? 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/ffun_c/fcf005.html

The only other thing that needs to happen is setting up NAT