chrome os future

yes or no  

13 members have voted

1. 1. choose

• yes, as a replacement for windows
    • yes,not as primary device
    • not at all

do you think non official  chrome os like cloud ready have any future  because now  chrome os supports android apps

+ Do you think the original chrome os will have a future?

18 minutes ago, 27md said:

is there any chromium os version avilable to downlaod that have google play store?

Yeah, the legitimate versions found on ChromeBooks. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you mean by Cloud? Windows 10 Cloud?

Or some other ChromeOS alternatives?

https://www.neverware.com/#introtext-3

It's a version of ChromeOS called CloudReady. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What do you mean by Cloud? Windows 10 Cloud?

Or some other ChromeOS alternatives?

cloud ready is chromium os based operating system 

and i don't think windows 10 cloud or chrome os will ever be very good why not just use full windows or mac os x

Ah Cloud Ready!  I taught you meant "Do you think non official  chrome os like Cloud ALready have any future"... and I was scratching my head what you meant. Should have put the capital letter to ensure that one can distinguish between typo's and software name. :)

Anyway,

ChormeOS strength is school environment. The problem with most schools is that they are budget restraint for IT. Even private schools (which, in their case, also they need to follow what parents expects for "a premium school".. ahem.. Apple). By budget restraint, I don't mean necessary limits per system cost (that is one problem), the other is hiring actually knwolegable IT staff (usually it is 1 guy, and in some school they handle the A/V department as well). Usually highly knowledgeable IT people would aim for higher paying jobs.

As a result, not knowing how to setup things right leads to improper security and issues with Windows, which makes everyone think Windows sucks, when it is really the IT person not reading Microsoft documentation to setup things right. And you have useless poorly coded VB scripts done by some previous person, to do things back in Windows NT 3/4 days, which is not needed today, but still runs as the IT person doesn't know better (let alone, at least, recode the scripts properly).

So they tried with iPads, with governmental investments (and probably Apple special pricing for this.. I mean it is free advertising for Apple, and can boost fancy numbers on iPad sold, which they have), with the hope that more educational apps will come.

The result is that the typing experience is crap, system is too costly for replacement if it breaks, school that asks parents to buy it, costs too much for parents, especially with little future (this is the same problem with graphic calculators already... and that is a $130-190 price.. the same price since ever, as they know schools requests it).. and... well.. content never really came, and teachers not being tech savvy didn't see how to properly integrate it in class. The big benefits is that they can lock it down with ease, no virus, little to no IT support needed.

So here comes ChromeOS. It solves the costs problem, maintains the benefits.. but the problem of why the iPad failed still strongly there. And what makes it worse, is that school demand to have Android app support locked to block "bad" (in the eyes of the school, but also possible malware that sometimes leaks in into the store) apps, games, etc. And again, even with Android apps support, you have problem with content, and training.

Windows 10 Cloud COULD work, as Windows is more commonly known to start with (I mean how to use Windows) to start with, making it easier for staff. And Microsoft is good at setting up training and bring examples to how to augment Windows with education, and have already worked with teachers/schools already in the past for various projects, including pushing programming in schools (it is mostly Lego style programming, where it isn't script base per say, but more blocks you drag and drop and connect and do things.... the point is not to worry about memory management, algorithm design, learning IDEs, and various other challenges, but deliver the taste and some level of challenge to kids, to see if they might be instead in seeking a career in this field).

But again, it depends on how Microsoft wants to push it, and sure needs to manage to get low cost systems running it all perfectly well. And school still face with the issues, as downside, with providing great school setup (despite being IT fault due to poor configuration). It does solve the virus/malware problem though. And we have to see if Microsoft will allow Win32 apps through the store or not, and allow IT as admin to side load or do exceptions for Win32 apps (white list), as it could allow more content than ChromeOS, and it could allow software that school wants to provide (educational, and maybe Firefox or something, as an example)

Then again, Microsoft already did poor decisions time and time again ruining great chances to penetrate a market.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah Cloud Ready!  I taught you meant "Do you think non official  chrome os like Cloud ALready have any future"... and I was scratching my head what you meant. Should have put the capital letter to ensure that one can distinguish between typo's and software name. :)

Anyway,

ChormeOS strength is school environment. The problem with most schools is that they are budget restraint for IT. Even private schools (which, in their case, also they need to follow what parents expects for "a premium school".. ahem.. Apple). By budget restraint, I don't mean necessary limits per system cost (that is one problem), the other is hiring actually knwolegable IT staff (usually it is 1 guy, and in some school they handle the A/V department as well). Usually highly knowledgeable IT people would aim for higher paying jobs.

As a result, not knowing how to setup things right leads to improper security and issues with Windows, which makes everyone think Windows sucks, when it is really the IT person not reading Microsoft documentation to setup things right. And you have useless poorly coded VB scripts done by some previous person, to do things back in Windows NT 3/4 days, which is not needed today, but still runs as the IT person doesn't know better (let alone, at least, recode the scripts properly).

So they tried with iPads, with governmental investments (and probably Apple special pricing for this.. I mean it is free advertising for Apple, and can boost fancy numbers on iPad sold, which they have), with the hope that more educational apps will come.

The result is that the typing experience is crap, system is too costly for replacement if it breaks, school that asks parents to buy it, costs too much for parents, especially with little future (this is the same problem with graphic calculators already... and that is a $130-190 price.. the same price since ever, as they know schools requests it).. and... well.. content never really came, and teachers not being tech savvy didn't see how to properly integrate it in class. The big benefits is that they can lock it down with ease, no virus, little to no IT support needed.

So here comes ChromeOS. It solves the costs problem, maintains the benefits.. but the problem of why the iPad failed still strongly there. And what makes it worse, is that school demand to have Android app support locked to block bad apps, games, etc. And again, even with Android apps support, you have problem with content, and training.

Windows 10 Cloud COULD work, as Windows is more commonly known to start with. And Microsoft is good at setting up training and bring examples to how to augment Windows with education, and have already worked with teachers/schools already in the past for various projects, including pushing programming in schools (it is mostly Lego style programming, where it isn't script base per say, but more blocks you drag and drop and connect and do things.... the point is not to worry about memory management, algorithm design, learning IDEs, and various other challenges, but deliver the taste and some level of challenge to kids, to see if they might be instead in seeking a career in this field).

But again, it depends on how Microsoft wants to push it, and sure needs to manage to get low cost systems running it all perfectly well. And school still face with the issues, as downside, with providing great school setup (despite being IT fault due to poor configuration). It does solve the virus/malware problem though. And we have to see if Microsoft will allow Win32 apps through the store or not, and allow IT as admin to side load or do exceptions for Win32 apps (white list), as it could allow more content than ChromeOS, and it could allow software that school wants to provide (educational, and maybe Firefox or something, as an example)

Then again, Microsoft already did poor decisions time and time again ruining great chances to penetrate a market.

great article I usually don't read long things but I readed this and it is very good

33 minutes ago, 27md said:

great article I usually don't read long things but I readed this and it is very good

Thanks! :)

My stuff is always interesting to read. It won several GoodBytes Best Post Awards - Presented by the GoodBytes Best Mod Award, in association with GoodBytes Best Mod and Post Consulting, Inc, For GoodBytes By GoodBytes Services, Inc.  Managed in conjunction with GoodBytes Enterprise, LLT. with the Foundation of Great Post and Mods, operated by GoodBytes. I can assure you, they are is 0 conflict of interests going on. :P

But seriously, thanks!

i red a lot about that and i think that for some people it can be replacement For windows for others they can dualboot it with ubuntu