custom case machining

DiamondShark286

I am working on building my own custom case I have a design in cad but I need a machine shop that could cut out/mill the aluminum sheets. I can assemble it myself anyone know of a good cheap place on a fairly tight budget for a custom case. does protocase do this kind of stuff?

1 hour ago, Tb428 said:

I am working on building my own custom case I have a design in cad but I need a machine shop that could cut out/mill the aluminum sheets. I can assemble it myself anyone know of a good cheap place on a fairly tight budget for a custom case. does protocase do this kind of stuff?

Try looking for a local machine shop or fabricator if you providing them the drawings and design they should be able to help you out. For Protocase I know they do custom design and fabrication but you may want to ask if they only do parts manufacturing. 

16 hours ago, W-L said:

Try looking for a local machine shop or fabricator if you providing them the drawings and design they should be able to help you out. For Protocase I know they do custom design and fabrication but you may want to ask if they only do parts manufacturing. 

thanks for the help I will look into it

On 1/30/2017 at 5:47 PM, W-L said:

Hi there - yep, we do custom cases, parts and components. Sheet metal and milling. 

Because everything we do is custom made super quick (in 2-3 days), it's not always the cheapest option. However, if you wanna send your CAD design to info@Protocase.com, someone from the team can give you an idea of how much it would cost to make. It's a good comparison to make with your local machine shops, at least. 

24 minutes ago, Protocase said:

Hi there - yep, we do custom cases, parts and components. Sheet metal and milling. 

Because everything we do is custom made super quick (in 2-3 days), it's not always the cheapest option. However, if you wanna send your CAD design to info@Protocase.com, someone from the team can give you an idea of how much it would cost to make. It's a good comparison to make with your local machine shops, at least. 

what file format do i need to send?

5 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

what file format do i need to send?

Here are the CAD formats we work with:

• .sldprt, .sldasm (Solidworks Pack & Go)
  • .x_t (Parasolid)
  • .stp (STEP file)
  • .igs (IGES file)
  • .asm (ProE 3D assembly and parts)
  • .sat (AutoCad 3D assembly)
  • .dwg (AutoCad 2D assembly)
  • .dxf (AutoCad 2D assembly)

(We also have our own free 3D CAD called Protocase Designer)

On 2/1/2017 at 11:37 AM, Protocase said:

Here are the CAD formats we work with:

• .sldprt, .sldasm (Solidworks Pack & Go)
  • .x_t (Parasolid)
  • .stp (STEP file)
  • .igs (IGES file)
  • .asm (ProE 3D assembly and parts)
  • .sat (AutoCad 3D assembly)
  • .dwg (AutoCad 2D assembly)
  • .dxf (AutoCad 2D assembly)

(We also have our own free 3D CAD called Protocase Designer)

So I tried out your Designer, but it won't let me select a template, is there a reason so?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sorry @WolfoftheShadow7465 - didn't get this notification that you had replied to my latest response, so I'm just seeing this now.

I'm not sure why you were having trouble with Protocase Designer - which template were you trying to select?