I7-6700 Speed Increasing over maxium speed?

I have just noticed in my task manager in the performance tab that my CPU is going over the speed even though the maximum is 3.40 GHz, it is going about 3.40-3.3.85 GHz roughly . Is this an issue that I should be aware of? Should I need to buy a better cooler in the future since I have a stock cooler rn?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Turbo boost. Don't worry about it. Stock cooler is more than enough. It won't overheat

Thank god! I always thought turbo boost was enabled manually... Looks like I got more research to do then.

your CPU will turbo boost past its "max" speed if it is cool enough. The max TURBO on your CPU is 4.0 GHz, which it will only be able to hit in single threaded workloads.

Nothing to worry about, and the stock cooler is likely not holding you back in the slightest with the exception of maybe being a bit louder than some aftermarket options.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, Ramen Man said:

Thank god! I always thought turbo boost was enabled manually... Looks like I got more research to do then.

It can be DISABLED manually in your bios, but is enabled by default on every mobo I have seen in the last 5 years.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

It can be DISABLED manually in your bios, but is enabled by default on every mobo I have seen in the last 5 years.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

your CPU will turbo boost past its "max" speed if it is cool enough. The max TURBO on your CPU is 4.0 GHz, which it will only be able to hit in single threaded workloads.

Nothing to worry about, and the stock cooler is likely not holding you back in the slightest with the exception of maybe being a bit louder than some aftermarket options.

Thanks for the info!