Best Alternative CPU Cooler

Hello,

I was going to go with the NH-D15 CPU cooler but found out my ram is 50 mm, which I believe is too tall, is there a better alternative for i5 6600k, which is going to be overclocked.

And preferably not water cooled, I have read to many horror stories about it haha

3 minutes ago, technosource said:

Hello,

I was going to go with the NH-D15 CPU cooler but found out my ram is 50 mm, which I believe is too tall, is there a better alternative for i5 6600k, which is going to be overclocked.

And preferably not water cooled, I have read to many horror stories about it haha

For a cooler in the same tier, here ya go. http://www.cryorig.com/r1-universal_us.php

3 minutes ago, technosource said:

Hello,

Easy choice. Noctua NH-D15S  (it's the same as the NH-D15, but wiith good RAM clearance).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

The NH-D15 has a cutout that allows for ram up to 64mm in height. 

If you can't raise the front fan, you can just mount it on the other side in pull. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Easy choice. Noctua NH-D15S  (it's the same as the NH-D15, but wiith good RAM clearance).

so it would be compatible with my 50mm ram?

4 minutes ago, technosource said:

Yes, the NH-D15S* is offset to not overhang the ram slots and only comes with the one center fan. 

Edited by WoodenMarker
typo

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, technosource said:

Take a look at the review.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15S/

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, the NH-D15 is offset to not overhang the ram slots and only comes with the one center fan. 

I think you mean NH-D15S

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

With such a large cooler, clearance does suffer a bit around the socket, but users should run into no real issues while connecting everything. That said, clearance for graphics cards is fantastic thanks to the NH-D15S's offset design, which makes it compatible with some mini-ITX motherboards the NH-D15 could never hope to fit on. Memory clearance under the fins is still limited to 64 mm, which, while not unlimited, does give users a good bit space. Overall, I would say the NH-D15S to definitely be an improvement over its less refined sibling.

From the TechPowerUp review.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I think you mean NH-D15S

Ah, yes--thanks for pointing out the typo. 

Yes, the NH-D15 is offset to not overhang the ram slots and only comes with the one center fan. 

And it has the same cooling at the regular d-15 or less, and with the regular d-15 i would still be able to use it if i move the fan?

Just now, technosource said:

And it has the same cooling at the regular d-15 or less, and with the regular d-15 i would still be able to use it if i move the fan?

It performs a bit worse due to only having one fan. 

The NH-D15 should work fine if the fan is raised above the ram or moved elsewhere like the other side of the heatsink.

It performs a bit worse due to only having one fan. 

The NH-D15 should work fine if the fan is raised above the ram or moved elsewhere like the other side of the heatsink.

Ok thank you for the help, its going to be my first build so i want to make sure i have everything right haha

2 minutes ago, technosource said:

I'm not sure about the original D15 without the first fan. The D15S has a bit different design that allows for taller RAM, so I would get it if able. Trying the OG D15 without the first fan is something you'll have to do at your own risk.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, technosource said:

Ok thank you for the help, its going to be my first build so i want to make sure i have everything right haha

If you haven't bought the i5 yet I'd suggest getting an i7 with that money before getting such an expensive cooler. 

If you haven't bought the i5 yet I'd suggest getting an i7 with that money before getting such an expensive cooler. 

i already have the i5 unfortunately

5 minutes ago, technosource said:

Well, go ahead in that case. It's not the best value to get such an expensive cooler but I personally got hooked to noctua when I initially got a NH-D14 for my 3570k. 

2 minutes ago, technosource said:

That's fine, that said you could save a bunch of money going with a better value (but a bit lower performance) cooler.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Well, go ahead in that case. It's not the best value to get such an expensive cooler but I personally got hooked to noctua when I initially got a NH-D14 for my 3570k. 

I just wanted something that will keep it cool if there's an alternative that will keep it a decent temps while gaming then im open to recommendations

1 minute ago, technosource said:

I just wanted something that will keep it cool if there's an alternative that will keep it a decent temps while gaming then im open to recommendations

Where are you shopping/located?

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you shopping/located?

Newegg and similar sites, and live near Stockton CA, i havent actually been in any store to purchase computer parts just online

4 minutes ago, technosource said:

Newegg and similar sites, and live near Stockton CA, i havent actually been in any store to purchase computer parts just online

Buy this then. It's still good performance for cooling and half the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, technosource said:

Depending on how much you want to spend, a

Pure Rock: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

or Kotetsu would be good: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000