How do SSHD's store Operating Systems?

Jobinx

I understand that the Seagate 1TB FireCuda SSHD will learn what to store in the SSD portion, but how would it store Windows 10 in the 8GB of SSD memory?

Or would it just put Windows 10 in the mechanical drive instead?

Here's the gist of how a hybrid hard drive works:

First it will store all the data you have in the platters (slow). Then as you start using it, it will lears which bits of it you use the most (that will be the OS, because that's the one you load every time you boot your compuher) and move it to the fast bit. Thus a hybrid hard drive is able to give you SSD-like load times on your OS, and slow load times on everything else.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Here's the gist of how a hybrid hard drive works:

First it will store all the data you have in the platters (slow). Then as you start using it, it will lears which bits of it you use the most [...] and move it to the fast bit. 

Basically this ^

Problem is,

• 8 GB is not much space, and
  • you never know what it'll put on there.  You hope it's the OS, but it might not be, if you use some other file a lot, for example

Personally, I don't like them and would just get a HDD, (+SSD for the OS of course) but it's up to you.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Basically this ^

Problem is,

• 8 GB is not much space, and
  • you never know what it'll put on there.  You hope it's the OS, but it might not be, if you use some other file a lot, for example

Personally, I don't like them and would just get a HDD, (+SSD for the OS of course) but it's up to you.

I would love for someone to make a hybrid SSHD with 32, 64 or even 128GB SSD space. And instead of managing the SSD space through an algorithm, let you manage the SSD bit yourself if you like. But as it stands today even a cheap af 64GB SSD + separate HDD is a better choice. I even sometimes recommend a single 250GB SSD for builders on a budget.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I have a Firecuda myself in the 2TB flavor. Unsure how the OS responsiveness would be, I use mine as a storage/game drive. 

2 hours ago, Jobinx said:

I understand that the Seagate 1TB FireCuda SSHD will learn what to store in the SSD portion, but how would it store Windows 10 in the 8GB of SSD memory?

Or would it just put Windows 10 in the mechanical drive instead?

Windows 10, is made up of 10's of 1000's of smaller files. Thousands of tiny aspects of Windows make up the whole package.

It's those "most commonly" used files/aspects that will be likely thrown in the cache more than other files.

8GB isn't enough from experience.

Win7/8,1/10 gets fast, way fast, in cache of course,... but then I play BF4 and after a few rounds (gigabytes of textures n loading when you change maps)

The first BF4 round is longest, but gets way faster as well... which is great.

Leaving BF4... Windows operations may lag for a little while as they are not in cache anymore, and file access delays the HDD has in reading, well it's like running a HDD as normal again..

(Fast method - Reboot after a long gaming session, force at least some of Windows back into the cache)

(Slower method - Keep using PC as normal, the more you use Windows (explorer/open menus/transitions) the faster it gets faster again.

Annoying for some.

Enough for some.

I wouldn't have issues using a 1TB+8GB hybrid for a Games drive,.. if Windows was separate on another drive, personal preference cos I already have a large Windows SSD. For a Windows/Gaming drive, it could suit many people just fine, however people want more more more more more.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz