Killer PSU?!

TonyTheNain
Go to solution Solved by Mr.Meerkat,

Capacitors are the thing that could kill you. They're a bit like batteries but work in a completely different manner as batteries are usually a chemical reaction where as capacitors are literally (in simple words) just 2 conductive plates with something insulating in between the 2 plates. 

The reason why it may kill you is similar to why 120V outlets are more dangerous than 230V outlets. It's nothing to do with voltage but how big the current is. You can be struck by a 1,000,000volt lightning bolt and still survive as it's current is so low where as you can be killed by a 120V outlet so...you know :P 

Hello!

So in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0B0Dli-1g&t=814s (How to Build the ULTIMATE Sub-zero Phase Change Cooling PC Build Guide)

Linus said that he modded his PSU by painting it white. He then said that the components inside the PSU can injure you or even KILL you.

But... the PSU will only injure or kill you if it is on right? Or it can still injure or kill you even if turned off??

If it can inujure you even when turned off, what is the components that can do that?

It can kill you if its on or off. It has capacitors that hold a lot of charge, and don't lose their energy when powered off. even touching the capacitors could kill you. Also, like i Just mentioned, it's usually the capacitors. Don't open it up though, just buy one white.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Capacitors are the thing that could kill you. They're a bit like batteries but work in a completely different manner as batteries are usually a chemical reaction where as capacitors are literally (in simple words) just 2 conductive plates with something insulating in between the 2 plates. 

The reason why it may kill you is similar to why 120V outlets are more dangerous than 230V outlets. It's nothing to do with voltage but how big the current is. You can be struck by a 1,000,000volt lightning bolt and still survive as it's current is so low where as you can be killed by a 120V outlet so...you know :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Sooo if i buy a PSU and want to mod it, it should not be plugged until i i do the mod or they are charged even before the first use?

1 minute ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Sooo if i buy a PSU and want to mod it, it should not be plugged until i finished or they are charged even before use?

They get tested so they will already be charge

IM BACK BABY

1 minute ago, kurtstir said:

They get tested so they will already be charge

Ok so... Just don't touch the PSU except if  you want to die ^^

Just now, Fourmi_Killer said:

Ok so... Just don't touch the PSU except you want to die ^^

Its safe if you wear the electrician gloves and short the capacitors before hand

IM BACK BABY

Sooo if i buy a PSU and want to mod it, it should not be plugged until i finished or they are charged even before use?

Hi,

if your mod of the PSU consists of painting it, maybe cover the fan side and the connectors and spray paint the housing without opening the unit?

Also get someone who knows what they're talking about to tell you what to do, I certainly am NOT that person.

I think Linus also has a video on painting that one PSU.

Ok so... Just don't touch the PSU except if  you want to die ^^

Well you can touch the housing allright, even when it's plugged in (but not powered on). It's a good method how to ground yourself when working on the PC.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

1 minute ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Well you can touch the housing allright, even when it's plugged in (but not powered on). It's a good method how to ground yourself when working on the PC.

Its safe to touch the housing at all times just not the innards

IM BACK BABY

Just now, rrubberr said:

You never stuck a knife into the toaster when you were a kid? Geez, kids these days :) .

I have tho...trying to get toasts out of the toaster ovb xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, rrubberr said:

You never stuck a knife into the toaster when you were a kid? Geez, kids these days :) .

Sorry for not practicing natural selection this way

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I know i didn't :P