Does cable matter for 4k 60hz via HDMI?

thecreativename
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

A basic DisplayPort to HDMI cable will only give you HDMI 1.4, not HDMI 2.0.

In Windows, most likely it is using YCbCr 4:2:0 chroma subsampling to get 4K 60 Hz. You can test it by opening this image; each line of text should only be a single color, but if the text lines appear to have 2 different colors each, and especially if the last two lines appear blurry or unreadable, then chroma subsampling is being used. 

I'm trying to hookup my mid 2014 MacBook Pro(GT 750m) to my 4k samsung TV.

The TV itself has HDMI 2.0 support(KU6300) and I know my MacBook Pro doesn't support HDMI 2.0, and only HDMI 1.4. So I'd need to use the mini display port to get UHD@60hz. So I bought a cable that does mini display port to HDMI (not sure on the number for the HDMI).

When I run windows, I can set the resolution to 3840x2160 at 60hz through the Nvidia drivers, I don't have to create a custom profile or anything, 60hz is there as an option. But when I try to use MacOS sierra, I can only get 30hz. 

I think its weird that I can get 60hz in windows, but on MacOS. Would Getting a HDMI 2.0 cable help?

This is what my window looks like in Mac OS

http://imgur.com/a/ZVdPO

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

No, because a GT 750m isn't going to be pushing 60fps at 4k while showing a desktop.

It works just fine in windows 10. It just doesn't seem to work on Sierra.

6 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

"Best for Samsung" doesn't properly auto detect?

No. All it does set it at an unscaled 3840x2160 @30hz.

In Windows, most likely it is using YCbCr 4:2:0 chroma subsampling to get 4K 60 Hz. You can test it by opening this image; each line of text should only be a single color, but if the text lines appear to have 2 different colors each, and especially if the last two lines appear blurry or unreadable, then chroma subsampling is being used. 

On 1/16/2017 at 4:25 AM, Glenwing said:

Thank you for the information. I guess the cable really was the issue then. Would getting an active adapter help? (Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter) and then use a regular HDMI cable.

7 hours ago, thecreativename said:

Thank you for the information. I guess the cable really was the issue then. Would getting an active adapter help? (Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter) and then use a regular HDMI cable.

Yes, that should work.