Which router to buy?

Vishvas Sudarshan

So I'm quite new to modems and routers.

Currently I'm using the one my ISP provided, there are few 'Wi-Fi dead spots' in our house, the speed is limited to 150Mbps (Wired), which is a serious bottleneck as I transfer a lot of data between devices.

So will I need to buy a new modem as well? or Can I just buy a decent router and plug it into my ISP provided one, since the locally shared data will never go to modem anyway.

I thought this- http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C50.html     is a simply, not so expensive router which has all the stuff I want.

But I need some advice, cause I know very little about these!

Thanks!

You're getting 150Mbps over wireless? That's pretty good for wireless.

-KuJoe

5 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

You're getting 150Mbps over wireless? That's pretty good for wireless.

Ooh, sorry. That's wired. I'll change it!

Have a look through your modem/router combo for 'bridge' mode. 

It makes a modem/router just a modem, and you can plug in an Ethernet cable and set up the router to just take signal from the modem via Ethernet. 

idk

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Have a look through your modem/router combo for 'bridge' mode. 

It makes a modem/router just a modem, and you can plug in an Ethernet cable and set up the router to just take signal from the modem via Ethernet. 

There's something called 'Bridge Setting' which has 'Ageing Time' and '802.1d Spanning Tree' fields

And in another page 'Half Bridge' Settings.(Enable/Disable) and 'Interface' field

Are these what you mentioned?

You'd be better off getting a $20 unmanaged gigabit switch and putting it behind your router. Consumer routers aren't known for their performance but a $20 unmanaged gigabit TP-LINK will push over 900Mbps without an issue and no configuration changes to your router.

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

You'd be better off getting a $20 unmanaged gigabit switch and putting it behind your router. Consumer routers aren't known for their performance but a $20 unmanaged gigabit TP-LINK will push over 900Mbps without an issue and no configuration changes to your router.

That will solve the bottleneck, but what about the 'dead spots'?

A wireless Access Point will fix that. You can spend money on all of the routers you want but dollar for dollar a wireless Access Point is your best option. I've never been able to find a router that can compete with a Ubiquiti Access Point and I've spent nearly a thousand dollars on routers, wireless repeaters, and other solutions in the past 5 years trying to fix my wireless problems. A single Access Point fixed all of my wireless problems within the first 2 minutes of powering it on.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

A wireless Access Point will fix that. You can spend money on all of the routers you want but dollar for dollar a wireless Access Point is your best option. I've never been able to find a router that can compete with a Ubiquiti Access Point and I've spent nearly a thousand dollars on routers, wireless repeaters, and other solutions in the past 5 years trying to fix my wireless problems. A single Access Point fixed all of my wireless problems within the first 2 minutes of powering it on.

I really appreciate your help. But I'm trying to keep it under $45/ ₹3000. (amazon.in)

18 hours ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

So I'm quite new to modems and routers.

Currently I'm using the one my ISP provided, there are few 'Wi-Fi dead spots' in our house, the speed is limited to 150Mbps (Wired), which is a serious bottleneck as I transfer a lot of data between devices.

So will I need to buy a new modem as well? or Can I just buy a decent router and plug it into my ISP provided one, since the locally shared data will never go to modem anyway.

I thought this- http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C50.html     is a simply, not so expensive router which has all the stuff I want.

But I need some advice, cause I know very little about these!

Thanks!

did you find anything ? 

On 1/16/2017 at 6:23 PM, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Well I'm still not sure. This looks pretty solid, but I need advice. http://www.amazon.in/D-Link-DIR-842-Wireless-AC1200-Gigabit/dp/B00PVDTRL4/

i think they router is only good with wooden walls , since the reviews on amazon don't look good ! 

give it a try , you can always return it within like 10 days . 

if you do let me know .