how is my computer getting this low of temps under load

Legolessed

I built a budget computer with an intel q8200 and a gt620 in a mid tower case. I have a pretty small air cooler with a 120mm fan on it and the temps are insanely low after playing minecraft for a couple minutes. 35 and 38 degrees for the 4 cores. Im used to seeing numbers in the 60's like with my main desktop or in the 70-80's with my laptop on my bed. Whats going on here?

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

I built a budget computer with an intel q8200 and a gt620 in a mid tower case. I have a pretty small air cooler with a 120mm fan on it and the temps are insanely low after playing minecraft for a couple minutes. 35 and 38 degrees for the 4 cores. Im used to seeing numbers in the 60's like with my main desktop or in the 70-80's with my laptop on my bed. Whats going on here?

those are very low power components.  They don't generate much heat, so an air cooler with a 120mm fan is plenty in terms of dissipating that heat.  A laptop generates a LOT of heat in a very small area, and if you are on a bed, it will suffocate and get hotter.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

3 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

those are very low power components.  They don't generate much heat, so an air cooler with a 120mm fan is plenty in terms of dissipating that heat.  A laptop generates a LOT of heat in a very small area, and if you are on a bed, it will suffocate and get hotter.

ah. I thought 95 watts wasnt something to scoff at. I mean i know cpu's can go to 130 watts or graphics cards to 500 watts, like the radeon r9 295x2. But i thought 95 watts was pretty high.

last i looked at minecraft it was a mostly single threaded application so you won't get to the full 95W TDP output. laptop on a bed will overheat; dont put your laptop on a blanket with loose fibres

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

What's the CPU usage on Minecraft?  Because it's possible that it's not being completely used which would put less load on your heatsink allowing to keep your CPU frosty.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

What's the CPU usage on Minecraft?  Because it's possible that it's not being completely used which would put less load on your heatsink allowing to keep your CPU frosty.

i didnt check but i was also updating my computer in the background

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i didnt check but i was also updating my computer in the background

Hummm, well I don't know if it supports like turbo boost but it could be humming along at a set frequency so that's possibly the cause.

Just now, wcreek said:

Hummm, well I don't know if it supports like turbo boost but it could be humming along at a set frequency so that's possibly the cause.

could be. its going at 2.33ghz

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

could be. its going at 2.33ghz

Do you know what the base frequency was for the chip?

(Sorry too lazy to Google it, as it's 2am. I may or may not have school tomorrow and this is my 5,000th post.)

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Do you know what the base frequency was for the chip?

(Sorry too lazy to Google it, as it's 2am. I may or may not have school tomorrow and this is my 5,000th post.)

2.33ghz. congrats on 5000 posts.

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

ah. I thought 95 watts wasnt something to scoff at. I mean i know cpu's can go to 130 watts or graphics cards to 500 watts, like the radeon r9 295x2. But i thought 95 watts was pretty high.

Nah 95 watts is next to nothing compared to older CPUs. And I have a 4690k that sits at 40c and a 970 that idles at 12c, why? My ambient temps are about 2-3c in the room. God I love winter.