Car Speakers as PC Speakers

AllRigsBuilder

I was wondering if anyone has or knows how to set up some car speakers as computer speakers.  I was going to build a PC inside of a desk and I was wanting my main speakers built in also and was wanting to use car speakers as my main speakers.  

4 minutes ago, AllRigsBuilder said:

I was wondering if anyone has or knows how to set up some car speakers as computer speakers.  I was going to build a PC inside of a desk and I was wanting my main speakers built in also and was wanting to use car speakers as my main speakers.  

You're going to need some sort of Audio Amplifier as car speakers are basically the same as speakers you may hook up to your Home Theater. Just without the nice enclosure.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

All passive speakers are the same.

Electrical energy is converted to kinetic energy, which moves the speakers, which creates sound (transducer).

Just need an amp appropriate for the speakers.

In the case of car speakers, you just need a high power 12V PSU (like your car battery would provide) and a "car amp."

A "standard" amp may work, but I haven't tried it so couldn't vouch.

Power to the amp, and then speaker wire (of an appropriate gauge) from amp to speakers.

Probably better off with a standard home amp (if it works) as you won't need a 12V supply with massive gauge wire to the amp; can just plug it into the wall.

Hope this helps :)

What you could do is get a car stereo, preferably one with a rear AUX input, and actually mount it in your desk PC build. That'd look pretty neat :) You can provide power to it using the PC's power supply as well using a DIY molex adapter.

11 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

In the case of car speakers, you just need a high power 12V PSU (like your car battery would provide) and a "car amp."

A "standard" amp may work, but I haven't tried it so couldn't vouch.

A car amp won't need that big of a PSU to just drive full-range speakers. Even the largest of them (6x9s) won't even be able to handle more than 75W RMS each. If you want to run a subwoofer as well though that will need more power.

"Rawr XD"

i have used car speakers before on a house amp. sorta the same, inhouse speakers sound better, car speakers can take travel and shock better, you can do it just you will need a speaker box. you'll be right mate, :D

1 minute ago, Aniallation said:

What you could do is get a car stereo, preferably one with a rear AUX input, and actually mount it in your desk PC build. That'd look pretty neat :) You can provide power to it using the PC's power supply as well.

A car amp won't need that big of a PSU to just drive full-range speakers. Even the largest of them (6x9s) won't even be able to handle more than 75W RMS each. 

I'm used to driving big ass 800W subs in my car, hahaha.

True, 75W speakers won't need huge wires, lol.

6 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Yeah if you want to power a big subwoofer, you'll need something a bit bigger. However if you're just powering off an amp built into a deck or a small external amp, you can run it off a small PSU or even directly off the PC's PSU if you have enough wattage headroom.

Even a small subwoofer though is possible. Newer decks from some brands such as Pioneer allow you to bridge the rear speaker outputs of the internal amp and drive a small sub with a low-pass filter. 

Depending on the dimensions of the table that OP wants to build out of, I'd suggest going that route and getting a small (6-8 inch) subwoofer for the lows hidden somewhere such as the bottom, and two 4" speakers on the side or front to use for mids and highs.

"Rawr XD"

1 hour ago, rhyseyness said:

sup Brian.

Danes call a guy who tunes their car to be loud as fuck and have a ton of bass when playing music for Brian, like this one, it is often done to cars from the 90s and early 2000s

Spoiler

brian.png

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

sup Brian.

Danes call a guy who tunes their car to be loud as fuck and have a ton of bass when playing music for Brian, like this one, it is often done to cars from the 90s and early 2000s

Reveal hidden contents

brian.png

Lol. I'm a Brian, what can I say.

God my car doesn't look like that though :')

I like to think of myself as a basshead, rather than someone who just wants their car to be loud as fuck.

3 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Lol. I'm a Brian, what can I say.

God my car doesn't look like that though :')

I like to think of myself as a basshead, rather than someone who just wants their car to be loud as fuck.

well they are also bassheads ;) 

Often they have shitty cars, they are just pimped out. You can always hear the music they listen to when they drive by...

So this is your car? :D 

Spoiler

brian 2.jpg

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well they are also bassheads ;) 

Often they have shitty cars, they are just pimped out. You can always hear the music they listen to when they drive by...

So this is your car? :D 

Reveal hidden contents

brian 2.jpg

Had a mk4 golf before, only modifications were to the sound system.

Now have a mk5 golf with new head unit, sound deadening and a subtle 200W 10 inch sub, standard everything else though.

So tbh, you're not far off xD

19 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Had a mk4 golf before, only modifications were to the sound system.

Now have a mk5 golf with new head unit, sound deadening and a subtle 200W 10 inch sub, standard everything else though.

So tbh, you're not far off xD

Oh so only a Semi Brian :D