CNC machine question and silencer design.

HughMungusCynicalAnarch

I've been wanting a silencer for a while now and I won't be spending 600 to 1000 dollars for one so I'll have a CNC machine shop make it.

first is the material.

I've been thinking 4150 steel but is there any steel that is better than 4150 steel for this application? 

Second is the design.

it will be .525 caliber so I can shoot anything I want in an ar15 and ar10 platform or something like 50 as.

it will be a monolithic bafffle design.

rhe first part will have the threads and this will about .5 inches but I'll extend it to .8 inches as the outside will contain threads for the baffle seal. The end of the suppressor will also contain threads on the out outside.

the end of the suppressor will also contain 4 .15 caliber holes as well advanced the main .525 caliber hole for the projectile.

the outside Of the baffle seal at the end will also contain threads on the front end so that I can mount caps with different sized caliber holes for different calibers.

the tube seal will of course have two sets of threads on the inside at both ends and will be made of the same material. It will be .28 inches thick.

the baffles will be Made out of cross sectioned circles(not sure how thick they will be) the very first two baffles will be definitely thicker than the rest by a significant percentage than the rest.

the baffles will be connected by 2 somewhat thick rods(they're machined out of a single metal tube so remember that) I would say 4 for extra rigidity but I'm not sure that can accomplished by a CNC machine. 

I will make the baffles 2.8 inch diameter.

i would also like the suppressor to be semi modular so I might stop the baffles somewhere in the middle and add a .5 inch piece with threads on the inside and outside.

inside threads will Be to connect the second part of the suppressor for larger calibers and the outside threads will Be for the tube seal. The tube seal will Be of the same design with outside threads for caliber caps but will be just shorter. 

So that if I wish I would Be able to split up the suppressor into two to reduce the weight.

458 socom clearly needs less volume than 9mm.

my question is is it possible for a CNC machine to make this with no human intervention other than moving the pieces around?

how long would it take a CNC machine to make this?

Is there better steel I can use and where can I buy it?

what software could I use to design this? Could I use solid works?

am I wasting on using steel? I imagine it would be heavy. Would it better be to use titanium or aluminum? The most powerful cartridge I'd be firing, possibly, would be something like 500 S&W magnum or something like 500 phantom or 510 beck.

alao i came up with the design very recently, last night, and I couldn't come up with any sort of locking system to keep the suppressor in place when firing. Can anybody help me out with designing a locking system so the silencer doesn't unscrew itself when firing?

Would it be possible to machine? Definitely, but you will end up spending more money on machine time than it would cost to just buy one in the first place. The more setups required on a a cnc, the more expensive it will end up being as well. Cnc ,machining is not just as simple as throwing a chunk of metal into the mill. There is allot of work that goes into fixtures, tooling, and even just the program to cut the part.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

26 minutes ago, bob345 said:

Would it be possible to machine? Definitely, but you will end up spending more money on machine time than it would cost to just buy one in the first place. The more setups required on a a cnc, the more expensive it will end up being as well. Cnc ,machining is not just as simple as throwing a chunk of metal into the mill. There is allot of work that goes into fixtures, tooling, and even just the program to cut the part.

Let's say I bought all the materials beforehand and I have the design in solid works or cad on a flash drive, how how much would this cost and how long would it take to make?

It can't be more expensive than silencer that I would buy.

the average rate for a CNC machine is like 80 bucks and in thinking it will be a max of four hours of machining.

1 minute ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Let's say I bought all the materials beforehand and I have the design in solid works or cad on a flash drive, how how much would this cost and how long would it take to make?

that is pretty much what i was assuming. Prices will differ from shop to shop, but i would say something like that would easily cost you 1k + for a single run part..

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Just now, bob345 said:

that is pretty much what i was assuming. Prices will differ from shop to shop, but i would say something like that would easily cost you 1k + for a single run part..

How would it cost 1k? The average machine shop rate is like 80 an hour.

the monolithic baffle design can be all done easily by the CNC machine and the tube seal as well.

what will make this that expensive?

1 minute ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

How would it cost 1k? The average machine shop rate is like 80 an hour.

the monolithic baffle design can be all done easily by the CNC machine and the tube seal as well.

what will make this that expensive?

there is allot more than just machine time that goes into getting a part made. Its not only the part that  needs to be machined. Fixture for that part also has to be made which takes allot more material and allot more time spent in cad and cam software. For simple parts, all you may need is a simple vise, but with how you described the part it seems like allot of custom fixturing will need to be made as well to make the part you want. That rate you see will typically only be for simple jobs like turning down a part to spec on a lathe to engraving a already made part on a mill. As the complexity of the part goes up, the price will go up exponentially.   

3 minutes ago, bob345 said:

there is allot more than just machine time that goes into getting a part made. Its not only the part that  needs to be machined. Fixture for that part also has to be made which takes allot more material and allot more time spent in cad and cam software. For simple parts, all you may need is a simple vise, but with how you described the part it seems like allot of custom fixturing will need to be made as well to make the part you want. That rate you see will typically only be for simple jobs like turning down a part to spec on a lathe to engraving a already made part on a mill. As the complexity of the part goes up, the price will go up exponentially.   

I don't understand.

every CNC video I've seen they were using some sort generic vice clamp of various designs.

seems like they would already have all of that.

can you tell me what specifically about my design makes it expensive?

9 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

I don't understand.

every CNC video I've seen they were using some sort generic vice clamp of various designs.

One off complicated parts means a lot of shops will not care to even give you a quote. The ones that will are going to have high rates. 

As was said it isn't just put it in a machine and it's done as was pointed out before. There are costs to make the code to run on there machines cost for fixturing, person to run the part, materials (not really going to lower your cost if you provide it ), tooling that may be needed to make the part. 

In short unless they are a shop hurting for work they could care less about doing a one off part that is nothing but legal problems for them

5 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

I don't understand.

From what i gather, you want the the baffles all machined from a single piece. For the machines most shops will have, that will require multiple setups on both a lathe and a mill. To to precisely machine a round hollow part, it is nearly impossible to keep a precise datum point. A vise works fine for a single setup or a part with a flat surface and square corners, but it can be quite difficult to do on a round part.

16 minutes ago, bob345 said:

From what i gather, you want the the baffles all machined from a single piece. For the machines most shops will have, that will require multiple setups on both a lathe and a mill. To to precisely machine a round hollow part, it is nearly impossible to keep a precise datum point. A vise works fine for a single setup or a part with a flat surface and square corners, but it can be quite difficult to do on a round part.

You're talking about the tube seal? Right?

what if I were to instead get a square shaped steel bar for both the baffles and seal?

i don't want to since then id have to have a different locking system for the seal but I can change the design to something else.