Z270 chipset diagram and 7700K+7600K leaked benchmarks

NumLock21

I was thinking of performance in general.. folding, etc. And I am always multi-tasking on my machine, probably much like yourself and others. So to me, making an argument based on single thread performance is ridiculous and doesn't factor into real world application.

And there never was a worthwhile performance gain with more than two cards in SLi. It has always been known that a third card 'might' bring you that extra 10% or so. It has always been better to go with two of the most powerful cards you can buy.

On 12/21/2016 at 9:55 AM, Master Disaster said:

They already did. Where exactly can they go from here? 

They've already said their future products will concentrate on efficiency over performance.

6 and 8 core cannonlake.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

14 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

Cannonlake is only low power parts due to low yields, so the next mainstream / high end processors will be coffeelake, which will still be on 14nm and supposedly only go up to 6 cores. Icelake in 2018 may go up to 8 but that will probably depend on how much pressure amd places on intel. 

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this actually. Intel's 10nm process is VERY VERY late. It's not just a small setback - on the old tick-tock cycle a process would only be used for two generations - by the time Intel gets to 10nm they will have been stuck on 14nm on their larger parts for four generations.

Coffee and Cannon are launching simultaneously, so that's not quite accurate.

Intel's 10nm is also the only true 10nm process out there. Samsung's and TSMC's are marginally denser than Intel's 14. Intel makes leaps and bounds. The other foundries settled on half-shrink methods to look competitive and fast-moving. Maybe that's a superior strategy, but it doesn't change the fact the learning curve just got a hell of a lot steeper and Intel is still 1.5 years or more ahead.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

29 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Coffee and Cannon are launching simultaneously, so that's not quite accurate.

Intel's 10nm is also the only true 10nm process out there. Samsung's and TSMC's are marginally denser than Intel's 14. Intel makes leaps and bounds. The other foundries settled on half-shrink methods to look competitive and fast-moving. Maybe that's a superior strategy, but it doesn't change the fact the learning curve just got a hell of a lot steeper and Intel is still 1.5 years or more ahead.

Boom. Well stated.

On 12/27/2016 at 2:44 PM, lukart said:

It seems that the new i7 7700K just hit the 7Ghz mark stable... shame they didnt run with all cores enabled, but still.

Good to see my Z170 OC-Formula still cracking some records. :D

https://www.techpowerup.com/229007/intel-core-i7-7700k-cracks-7-ghz-bench-stable-overclock 

Sweet! But holding my next build for Zen and hopefully they do the OCFormula for AMD motherboards as well.

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, Master Disaster said:

I think Intel realised Moore's Law is dead and chasing IPC improvement is a process of diminishing returns so they didn't stop caring per se, they just realised that modern CPUs are already close to max threshold and it would be better to work on efficiency over performance.

As long as they remain slightly ahead and also offer good efficiency there's not really much AMD can do with silicon to surpass them. They've established themselves as the market leaders already.

That's something AMD haven't had the chance to work out yet (or maybe they have hence why their targeting Intel's second from top tier SKU instead of going for the ultimate performance platform)

Just to add, yes I hope I'm wrong too and Ryzen kicks ass and puts AMD on a more equal footing. That's great for consumers and might just force Intel into something new. Remember we already know they plan on releasing 6 and 8 core laptop SKUs next year. Maybe Coffee lake might finally see Intel release something more than a quad core into the non enthusiast desktop market.

but you already stated that IPC chasing is dead so even if AMD match or beat intel their isn't anywhere for either of them to go.

it will turn into what AMD with the FX chips, more cores. We are at a period now where software is massively behind hardware. Most games don't use multiple cores and if they do then its only 4. I know frostbite engine can use upto 8 cores.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, lukart said:

It seems that the new i7 7700K just hit the 7Ghz mark stable... shame they didnt run with all cores enabled, but still.

Good to see my Z170 OC-Formula still cracking some records. :D

https://www.techpowerup.com/229007/intel-core-i7-7700k-cracks-7-ghz-bench-stable-overclock 

yeah on ln2 , and fx chips currently hold the world record.

8794.33 GHz on two cores and 8722.78 GHz with all 8 cores.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Ok, so once again we see really insane temps on the 7700k at a high overclock and it's not even in Prime95. So if there is a manufacturing problem (poor quality TIM in this case) does Intel normally quietly fix the issue and we have to hope we get a CPU with the fix in place or do they release a new SKU making it easier to purchase one that won't cause the water in your AIO to boil?

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

On 12/22/2016 at 0:37 AM, NumLock21 said:

-SNIP-

Nice thread! Thank you!

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

On 12/22/2016 at 0:41 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

I am mad they didn't benchmark Crysis 3

Shared this post on Facebook and saw that the thumbnail was odd. Then I checked the first page of the thread and saw your forum picture. LOL

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink