Liquid or Air cooling

thundertech

Started messing around with Blender, and I saw that I was utilizing 100% of my i7-4790k and temps were hitting 100C` per core. I really need to drop those temps, because it is a little troublesome to see my mouse have a hard time moving around.;p Anyway, I was curious if someone had some advice on brand and whether to water cool or air cool.

Thanks for any replies. Send my way, mon frères.CPU Blender temp on Stock Cooler.png

Water cooling has a higher upper limit on cooling capacity but usually can't match the price/performance of air coolers. If you just need a solution to keep temps in check, air cooling is probably the better option. 

If you want to push for balls to the walls with oc'ing with no compromises, water cooling will get you farther.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

What case, ram, and cooling do you have?

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Lower/mid tier water coolers (aka sub-$100 AIOs) are only good if you have small case and/or are all for looks. $80 air coolers are at same level with $100 AIOs. $60 air coolers beat $80 AIOs in price/performance/noise.

I would personally go for midrange air cooler. While budget solutions like 212 Evo, H7 and Pure Rock (among others) would do the job, you have already spend to get higher end consumer rig. Why not spend bit more for cooling performance, less noise and general quality? So H5, Dark Rock 3, U14S (or U12S if your case has limits).

59 minutes ago, Moress said:

If you have low profile ram then air coolers are a great option. But if you have high ram heatsinks it can be a huge pain in the ass to install them. Still though aircoolers tend to be the easiest and best option for most people.

There are ton of good air coolers which don't have issue with normal or bit higher heatspreaders. Even some coolers which are fine with ridiculous heatspreaders like RipjawV, Vengeance Pro and DomPlats.  So having certain RAM isn't reason NOT to get air cooler. It will have effect on selection, though.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:55 AM, Moress said:

Bought the Noctua NH-D14 on Amazon for $70. Really wanted to try watercooling, but I saw that the Noctua beat the H60 and the next step up would've been the H110i, and that is just a little too far out of my budget. I should be getting the fan in today, so wish me luck with install. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it will drop my temps to around ~65C at full cpu utilization... Hopefully :P