What's the proper way to base clock overclock a Xeon with an ASUS mobo?

I have a Xeon 1231v3 on an ASUS Z97-A motherboard being cooled by a Hyper 212 EVO(I get temps of 60 degrees under load). I went into the BIOS, and set the base clock to 105, seeing if what I was about to attempt was feasible. After booting into Windows, I ran Cinebench, it verified that my CPU speed had gotten an increase, and I got a score that was 20 points higher than my non-OC'd run. Then, when I opened AIDA64 to run the stress test, I noticed something very concerning: my CPU temperatures had risen to a whopping 67 degrees. Now, I don't know a whole lot about overclocking, but those temps just don't seem reasonable for such a small performance boost.

I booted back into the BIOS to try and see if the voltages has gotten raised automatically without me realizing, but everything was normal. Did I do something wrong? Literally the only 2 things I did were set the AI Tuner from Auto to Manual, then change the base clock from 100 to 105. I'm not going to go forward with this if I'm going to get significantly higher temperatures for underwhelming performance boosts.

2 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

I have a Xeon 1231v3 on an ASUS Z97-A motherboard being cooled by a Hyper 212 EVO(I get temps of 60 degrees under load). I went into the BIOS, and set the base clock to 105, seeing if what I was about to attempt was feasible. After booting into Windows, I ran Cinebench, it verified that my CPU speed had gotten an increase, and I got a score that was 20 points higher than my non-OC'd run. Then, when I opened AIDA64 to run the stress test, I noticed something very concerning: my CPU temperatures had risen to a whopping 67 degrees. Now, I don't know a whole lot about overclocking, but those temps just don't seem reasonable for such a small performance boost.

I booted back into the BIOS to try and see if the voltages has gotten raised automatically without me realizing, but everything was normal. Did I do something wrong? Literally the only 2 things I did were set the AI Tuner from Auto to Manual, then change the base clock from 100 to 105. I'm not going to go forward with this if I'm going to get significantly higher temperatures for underwhelming performance boosts.

lol

what was the stock frequency, and the oc frequency?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

That's the right way to do baseclock overclocking. Personally I wouldn't do it, 170 MHz just doesn't quite make it worth the extra heat and instability IMO. I don't think you'll be able to get it much higher as well.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

lol

what was the stock frequency, and the oc frequency?

The stock frequency is 3.4GHz with a 3.57 boost(it's supposed to be 3.8). With the OC, I got a base speed of 3.57Ghz, but I wasn't able to figure out my boost speed.

1 minute ago, fireclaw316 said:

The stock frequency is 3.4GHz with a 3.57 boost(it's supposed to be 3.8). With the OC, I got a base speed of 3.57Ghz, but I wasn't able to figure out my boost speed.

how were you not able to determine boost speed?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

how were you not able to determine boost speed?

Even with HWMonitor open, it was telling me some shit about 3.99GHz, but that didn't seem right.

Just now, fireclaw316 said:

Even with HWMonitor open, it was telling me some shit about 3.99GHz, but that didn't seem right.

get cpu z and then tell me the clock

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

get cpu z and then tell me the clock

You know what? Appreciate you trying to help, but I honestly don't think this is even worth pursuing any further. With all of the research I've done, and even martward confirming it, I don't think there's anything more I can really do, short of just going out and getting an unlocked i7.

Just now, fireclaw316 said:

You know what? Appreciate you trying to help, but I honestly don't think this is even worth pursuing any further. With all of the research I've done, and even martward confirming it, I don't think there's anything more I can really do, short of just going out and getting an unlocked i7.

well the increased clock will increase the heat output afaik,but fair dos xeons arent really made for overclocking so you have to expect that also