Point of overclocking I7-6700k

Hey guys, Im planning on overclocking my I7-6700K (MAXIMUS VIII HERO).

But can anyone explain to me, how many performance boost will i get in games when OC'ed to for example: 4.5Ghz

Will i see a few xtra fps?

What are the things i should be careful with?

Haven't tried myself, but in most games it won't matter much I expect, possibly it will only matter in CPU heavy games like GTA V and Cities: Skylines, other games tend to be designed to mostly benefit from a beefy GPU.

6 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Don't go over 1.400v or over 80c during load and you're fine.

Oh man, mine manages that temp without overclock, the struggles of having a Mini-ITX... Maybe a full copper Dynatron can keep it lower, but they're hard to get in my country...

20 minutes ago, ThijsVanDorp said:

But can anyone explain to me, how many performance boost will i get in games when OC'ed to for example: 4.5Ghz

Will i see a few xtra fps?

It depends on a whole lot of factors. The number one most important thing is that there must be additional work for your CPU to do before you see any performance benefits. your CPU MUST be the bottleneck to see any notable performance improvement. for gaming, this usually requires you to be at a high fps (120+) or be playing a highly CPU intensive game. Beyond that though, you see a pretty even performance scaling. 10% OC will give you ~10% performance improvement, assuming your CPU still remains the bottleneck.

7 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

damn, should be fine tho, just a rule of thump temperature 

Aye, it's from what I gather a bit of a grey area temperature, it's not bad, but not recommended either. Throttle Limit is at 100°C, but I guess the CPU does wear a little faster with these temps.

not a big performance leap in video game, overclocking basically is just a hobby for enthusiast

Eager To Learn

20 minutes ago, Raxul said:

not a big performance leap in video game, overclocking basically is just a hobby for enthusiast

And what about web browsing? Video editing?