LGA 1155 CPU showdown.

I suppose I can open a thread up for discussion.

I'm looking to upgrade my puny i3-2100 to something that doesn't require a motherboard change because well, the platform upgrade money is going into a camera :D

So I've found 2 good deals in my area.

There's an i5-2400 for $45

And an i7-3770 for $110.

As of right now I'm leaning toward the i7 because it can do 8 threads, and should have better single threaded performance than a Piledriver chip, while also boosting up to 3.9GHz. Probably will last for longer as a relevant gaming CPU than the i5. That said, I don't have the $110 right now and would have to wait for a bit, and in that time the CPU might be gone forever TT_TT

What do you guys think? If you're gonna chime in, I would love to look at bench :)

Edit1: I have a H61 motherboard so no OC for me :( Can't even tweak the BCLK with this POS

Edit2: I live in Mexico, and I know my way around the stores in my city but feel free to hunt for deals <3

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Maybe the i7 for max performance for the socket 

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Been running a 3770k (not overclocked at the moment) for the longest time. Games run awesome on it and does quite well for my graphic arts and computer science projects. Hoping to get at least another year out of this chip

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I'm guessing you don't have a Z-series motherboard?

I personally wouldn't go for a sandy bridge chip. I've had less than optimal experiences with them in the past. 

I don't know where you live, but I've seen i5 3570s go for around 60 dollars US.

The CPU is quite old and can not find much benchmark. Here is how it does. Sadly it was paired with a not so high end gpu (a 760). i7 3770

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-3770-hyperthreading-test-20-games-tested.216466/

Basically good as expected

Now the i5. Again too old to compare. The GPU is HD 6870 from AMD which is a bit weaker than a regular 760 (comparable to a non TI 750)

Sorry, look for Current $600 PC to compare

Just-Cause-2-Highest-8xAA.pngMetro-2033-Very-High-4xAA.png

Crysis-Very-High-no-AA.png

So it is really hard to judge which is better. But can be seen from the i7 as it gets quite a good frame rate on latest titles like TW3, Metro Redux but I not that much. I would get the i5 if I were you but an i7 is nice as it will be more future proof and you won't have to make an upgrade soon

10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I suppose I can open a thread up for discussion.

I'm looking to upgrade my puny i3-2100 to something that doesn't require a motherboard change because well, the platform upgrade money is going into a camera :D

So I've found 2 good deals in my area.

There's an i5-2400 for $45

And an i7-3770 for $110.

As of right now I'm leaning toward the i7 because it can do 8 threads, and should have better single threaded performance than a Piledriver chip, while also boosting up to 3.9GHz. Probably will last for longer as a relevant gaming CPU than the i5. That said, I don't have the $110 right now and would have to wait for a bit, and in that time the CPU might be gone forever TT_TT

What do you guys think? If you're gonna chime in, I would love to look at bench :)

Edit1: I have a H61 motherboard so no OC for me :( Can't even tweak the BCLK with this POS

Dude where do you live because i want to upgrade my i5 3570 k to one of those  i7 3770 or the k version of it

1 minute ago, Swordtiny said:

Dude where do you live because i want to upgrade my i5 3570 k to one of those  i7 3770 or the k version of it

Edited the OP :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Heres the deal: i found these LGA1155 CPU's of pcpartpicker (top 8 most popular) and benchmarks from cpu.userbenchmark.com. it really depends on how cheap you can find one for

in order of increasing benchmark

i5 2300   (56%) 

i5 2400   (61%)

i5 3340   (67%)

i7 2600   (68%)

i5 2500K (73%)

i7-3770   (75%)

i7-3770K (80%)

1 minute ago, BenoitWW said:

Heres the deal: i found these LGA1155 CPU's of pcpartpicker (top 8 most popular) and benchmarks from cpu.userbenchmark.com. it really depends on how cheap you can find one for

in order of increasing benchmark

i5 2300   (56%) 

i5 2400   (61%)

i5 3340   (67%)

i7 2600   (68%)

i5 2500K (73%)

i7-3770   (75%)

i7-3770K (80%)

Well that said those are numbers for people who ran the bench without all the multitasking that I tend to have... Yeah I'm getting the i7

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Well that said those are numbers for people who ran the bench without all the multitasking that I tend to have... Yeah I'm getting the i7

true enough and valid point. if multitasking then go for i7