Anyone else's ATH-M50 headband get totally worn out? Tried any fixes?

Jake Dalay

So I picked up a pair of ATH-M50's (not the M50x, though very similar) a few years ago, and they still sound fine.

BUT, the headband is totally shot. Outer covering completely flaking off, in dire need of replacement.

So I was wondering if anyone else here had encountered the issue, and if you all might have some pro tips for my much needed DIY repair.

I have seen some older advice elsewhere but figured it would be worth an ask.

I haven't seen a post related to this topic here before, but if one has been made, then my bad, and thank you in advance for directing me to it—same goes if there are more appropriate places for this post.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

I mean, it's just one of those things that happens with some headphones. Other than basically getting some leather and stitching it on yourself, the only good fix is to replace either the whole headband (email audio technica and ask if they'll send you one) or replacing the headphones outright.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yeah, the flaking of the headband is a common issue on a lot of headphones. I had the same problem on the Sony MDR 1R after only 1 year. There is no "elegant" solution. The closest thing I can think of is the leather repair kit for car seats & sofas. It's a white goop you apply on the surface and then you have to apply black paint on top of it. 

Well, thanks for the feedback. I really don't think I'll be painting them, though that solution I had not seen suggested, so thanks.

Also, as for replacing the whole headband, this is something I was interested in but funny enough I completely hadn't thought of contacting Audio-Technica about it. I had only checked to see that they don't sell that part separately (and this check briefly done). What makes it funny is that a while back I essentially shattered the 3.5mm headphone jack in the top of my Fractal Arc Midi R2 and the first thing I did was contact Fractal about it and the sent me a replacement part no cost—even with my admission that I had broken the part entirely on my own through an accident.

Anyway, thank you both, and if anyone else has a DIY option they want to promote I'd love to hear it in case reaching out to the manufacturer doesn't pan out.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

• 8 months later...

I rewrapped mine with a bit of denim i bought online and glue. Works fine still and looks good haha

• 4 months later...

In case anyone wants to touch their M50s up:

You can just unscrew the plastic clamps at the end of the headphones,

remove the pleather around the headband and wrap some cloth leather etc.

around it from there for a clean look. I used some rubberized black textile band.

IMG_20171127_235219.jpg