Hitachi Desktar 48c Temps, is this safe?

babadoctor

I'm only saying they cannot be under the room temperature. It can be or the software or the sensor.

If the sensor range starts at 30 degrees (for example) and the temperature is rated through resistance, you will have a non linear graph that you will have to compensate, that can lead to underestimated value. No big deal, actually, since you are most likely under 30 degrees anyway, so it's not overheating, and over the given value of 26°C.

I had a similar problem with my old 478 P4. It was under 30°, but still saying less than room temperature.

4 hours ago, Shingouki said:

I'm only saying they cannot be under the room temperature. It can be or the software or the sensor.

If the sensor range starts at 30 degrees (for example) and the temperature is rated through resistance, you will have a non linear graph that you will have to compensate, that can lead to underestimated value. No big deal, actually, since you are most likely under 30 degrees anyway, so it's not overheating, and over the given value of 26°C.

I had a similar problem with my old 478 P4. It was under 30°, but still saying less than room temperature.

So I tried to remove one fan. (no longer push pull) the temps went up with 2-3c...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 hours ago, babadoctor said:

Do you have any experience to say about running a HDD 24/7?

I have 8 WD Red 4TB drives running 24/7 in my NAS.  The NAS was only built in July last year, but so far I've had zero issues with it.  Drive temps are 34-38°C, depending on load. 

29 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So I tried to remove one fan. (no longer push pull) the temps went up with 2-3c...

Don't bother changing the configuration, it was fine, so, unless the noise made by the fans is unbearable (if you have push and pull you can also slower them down), there's no reason to remove some fans. It was great even before.

Anyway,is the OP still here? We were talking about his configuration, and i asked him why he doesn't want fans.

6 hours ago, Shingouki said:

Just wondering, what kind of case do you use, and why you don't want to install a fan?

Also, i agree with @Mark77: i'd never run 24/7 an hard disk at that temp. Mine are between 28 and 33 (i get worried when something in my workstation goes over 40°C)

I never had issues with seagate, nor with hitachi, nor with Samsung, nor with WD, not even with maxtor (way before 2006, i think i should still have it somewhere); even when running those 24/7

I remember i saw a review over 36 months, and hitachi's HDD were rocking with the lowest failure rate - not linking because i never really trust those "stats", so i will not waste time searching for it again

Well, the case is a bad one..I don't know what exactly it's called but when I got it the case fans were broken, and I never bothered to buy new ones. I just now bought 4 120mm fans and plan to install then all around the HDD.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Ok, have a look at it, and figure how to improve the air flux: cable management is overrated, but not useless.

Also, remember to balance the fans pushing and the fans pulling.

If you don't want too much noise (you know, fans at full speed make noise, and i don't like it), more and bigger fans at lower speed will solve the problem.

Consider, also, if your case is really bad, to choose a new case: a low tier cooler master case is cheap (30ish bucks), and very likely will come with at least one fan: you will have a case with a better air flow management, very likely a proper cable management, and at least one fan

51 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

Don't bother changing the configuration, it was fine, so, unless the noise made by the fans is unbearable (if you have push and pull you can also slower them down), there's no reason to remove some fans. It was great even before.

Anyway,is the OP still here? We were talking about his configuration, and i asked him why he doesn't want fans.

oh I just wanted to test it. Never tested if push pull really helped and how much it helped. I love testing things and tinker :D 

It was a 20sec job to take out the fan and then 2 hours of my PC running while I did things I needed to do anyways.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

48 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

Ok, have a look at it, and figure how to improve the air flux: cable management is overrated, but not useless.

Also, remember to balance the fans pushing and the fans pulling.

If you don't want too much noise (you know, fans at full speed make noise, and i don't like it), more and bigger fans at lower speed will solve the problem.

Consider, also, if your case is really bad, to choose a new case: a low tier cooler master case is cheap (30ish bucks), and very likely will come with at least one fan: you will have a case with a better air flow management, very likely a proper cable management, and at least one fan

I am busy right now, but I don't think buying another case would be a viable solution. Noise does not matter at all, since it is sitting somewhere far away from me.  I will post results later, and see what happens.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

15 hours ago, babadoctor said:

Alright. Thank you for the insight. I think I will buy a WD if this one fails.

You are using a WD black? Is there any WD that is suppose to run 24/7?

WD Purple (24/7 Surveillance Drives) They can be used to run 24/7 servers but i would still recommend WD Blacks