Pc switches on then switches off.

ZombieLloyd

Hey guys so my pc is acting weird. Basically, my computer randomly shuts down and switches itself back on, then goes back off. Sometimes it'll get to my lock screen and switches off only for the cycle to repeat. The weird part is that it'll work for a while after I've left the power supply switched off for a couple of weeks. I can't really afford to get replacement parts right now which is why I say weeks in the hopes that I can figure out what's wrong for sure and buy a better part to replace the one that's causing this. It gets weirder, the last time this happened, my motherboard showed that it was the CPU that was faulty but that light isn't coming on this time and didn't come on the time before that. These are my current parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/W7ptgL

4 hours ago, ZombieLloyd said:

Hey guys so my pc is acting weird. Basically, my computer randomly shuts down and switches itself back on, then goes back off. Sometimes it'll get to my lock screen and switches off only for the cycle to repeat. The weird part is that it'll work for a while after I've left the power supply switched off for a couple of weeks. I can't really afford to get replacement parts right now which is why I say weeks in the hopes that I can figure out what's wrong for sure and buy a better part to replace the one that's causing this. It gets weirder, the last time this happened, my motherboard showed that it was the CPU that was faulty but that light isn't coming on this time and didn't come on the time before that. These are my current parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/W7ptgL

Looks like a PSU problem, you might need to switch it. Either claim the warranty/refund or buy a new one.

15 hours ago, raphidy said:

Looks like a PSU problem, you might need to switch it. Either claim the warranty/refund or buy a new one.

Ok, I was planning on upgrading to an EVGA G2 at some point anyway. Thanks for the help. One final thing, it turns out that the CPU light on my motherboard does in fact stay on this time too, could still be the power supply or would it be worth upgrading both?

1 hour ago, ZombieLloyd said:

Ok, I was planning on upgrading to an EVGA G2 at some point anyway. Thanks for the help. One final thing, it turns out that the CPU light on my motherboard does in fact stay on this time too, could still be the power supply or would it be worth upgrading both?

Unless the motherboard killed the cpu, it is suppose to be the most reliable component in a pc.

26 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Unless the motherboard killed the cpu, it is suppose to be the most reliable component in a pc.

Ok, I'll get a new power supply soon then. Thanks again for the help