Trying to figure out how to mount a tv to a dresser

skullrebell

So im moving on friday, and i plan on getting a new tv once i move since my job is starting to support 4k video, as well as i have an xbox one s, so im thinking of getting a 40 inch 4k tv but ild like to not waste all that dresser space. Now im sure your all thinking why dont you just mount it on the wall, the problem is i am renting, also the walls are horsehair plaster ( because vicrotian homes in a historical district) so  im  curious how could i mount my tv to my dresser but like so its elevated off the dresser? so i can still use the dresser to display my consoles, minifigure and pop figure collection? the dresser im thinking of getting is an ikea kullen

Its a Championship not a Belt!

Ikea furniture isn't going to be much more durable than your plaster walls.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Ikea furniture isn't going to be much more durable than your plaster walls.

ive had no problem with ikea furniaturnature in the past.

3 minutes ago, skullrebell said:

ive had no problem with ikea furniaturnature in the past.

You know it's mostly paper and air, right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

if by paper you mean wood, and by air that its plywood, yes yes i do.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There are also some metallic screws too.

I'm not sure there is a arm/mount that I would trust to hold a 40" TV off that specific dresser.

Easiest thing that came to my mind was instead to use something similar to this. It's adjustable enough, has a flat-ish base to fit under the dresser after some modifications, and is not egregiously priced. I'm sure after some digging around, there might be one that is even more suited to your situation.

3 minutes ago, divito said:

I'm not sure there is a arm/mount that I would trust to hold a 40" TV off that specific dresser.

Easiest thing that came to my mind was instead to use something similar to this. Not exactly cheap, but it's adjustable enough, has a flat-ish base to fit under the dresser after some modifications, and is not egregiously priced.

hmm that gives me ideas, i wonder if they have something like that but with a smaller height.

16 minutes ago, skullrebell said:

if by paper you mean wood, and by air that its plywood, yes yes i do.

No, paper and air.

Image result for ikea table inside

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

No, paper and air.

-snip-

so thats one particular table top, im not getting a table top, i;m getting a dresser their not the same, if you cut open most doors, youll see the same thing as your photo.

Just now, skullrebell said:

so thats one particular table top, im not getting a table top, i;m getting a dresser their not the same, if you cut open most doors, youll see the same thing as your photo.

It's just an example of the quality.

You get what you pay for. There's a reason ikea is so affordable.

This is what their "plywood" is:

Image result for ikea plywood density

If you think this is going to hold up a 50lb+ 40" tv, then you should start saving up for a second tv once the first one falls to the ground.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

It's just an example of the quality.

You get what you pay for. There's a reason ikea is so affordable.

This is what their "plywood" is:

If you think this is going to hold up a 50lb+ 40" tv, then you should start saving up for a second tv once the first one falls to the ground.

well seeing is, its the same material, of my bed frame, and my bed supports me my dog and my mattress and certainly weigh more than a tv, i think it will be fine.

2 minutes ago, skullrebell said:

well seeing is, its the same material, of my bed frame, and my bed supports me my dog and my mattress and certainly weigh more than a tv, i think it will be fine.

No, the bed supports are actually made out of solid wooden planks. Not particle board.

A bed is designed to held the weight of a heavy person on top of it, even ikea beds.

A dresser is not made to have 50lbs hanging off of it. The vesa mount will literally rip right off.

If you want a place for a tv, put it on top of a flat surface like this:

Image result for tv on dresser

Don't wall mount it.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

No, the bed supports are actually made out of solid wooden planks. Not particle board.

A bed is designed to held the weight of a heavy person on top of it, even ikea beds.

A dresser is not made to have 50lbs hanging off of it. The vesa mount will literally rip right off.

If you want a place for a tv, put it on top of a flat surface like this:

Image result for tv on dresser

Don't wall mount it.

no my bed is not solid wood, it is particle board, dont try to correct me when you have never seen my bed, also, i am not just putting the tv on top of the dresser, because i am tryig to use the space to put my pop figures and mini figure collection on.

3 minutes ago, skullrebell said:

no my bed is not solid wood, it is particle board, dont try to correct me when you have never seen my bed, also, i am not just putting the tv on top of the dresser, because i am tryig to use the space to put my pop figures and mini figure collection on.

Clearly you don't know, because all ikea beds use this solid wood planks for the slats.

This is not particle board.

Image result for ikea bed slats

Anyway, it's not my TV that's going to be cracking on the floor, so go ahead and do whatever you want.

At least I tried to prevent wasting a nice 4k tv on bad ideas.

Spoiler

Did a little Google Searching and found this. It would require you to drill in to the top of the dresser however, or there is this site. I guess it depends on how much money you want to throw at it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Did a little Google Searching and found this. It would require you to drill in to the top of the dresser however, or there is this site. I guess it depends on how much money you want to throw at it. 

hmm i think that first option could work, thanks, that looks like a great possible option.