SSD Raid configuration help

_Cart

Right now I have a 240gb Kingston v300 and I'm trying to get another ssd to run the together in raid 0 (because I think this is the safest) but, the one I'm most likely going to get is the v200+ instead of the v300. I was wondering since they have different read and write speeds and they aren't exact same drive I wouldn't be able to run them together. And if they do work, which raid config is the fastest/safest for running my ssds? Thanks ahead of time B|

Why do you want raid? 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

I don't think Raid 0 is the safest.  But in your case, the raid 0 performance will most likely be limited by the slower drive.

It will work.  Raid 0 doesn't require exact same drive model and speed theoretically.  But it does require the same capacity drive, if you don't want unused space.

1 minute ago, _Cart said:

Right now I have a 240gb Kingston v300 and I'm trying to get another ssd to run the together in raid 0 (because I think this is the safest) but, the one I'm most likely going to get is the v200+ instead of the v300. I was wondering since they have different read and write speeds and they aren't exact same drive I wouldn't be able to run them together. And if they do work, which raid config is the fastest/safest for running my ssds? Thanks ahead of time B|

They will run at the speed of the slowest drive x2.

No real reason to run raid 1, just use backups.

Raid 0 is faster + bigger, but no real reason to.

Id stick with a single drive.

Yes they're fast but an SSD is fast enough. Sooner or later you're going to run into a SATA bottleneck. Have you thought about nvme? 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

Just now, _Cart said:

How likely  are raid configs to fail?

As likely as it is for a ssd to randomly fail.  For raid 0 though, the chances of losing data is larger since it only takes 1 drive to fail to lose all data.

5 minutes ago, _Cart said:

How likely  are raid configs to fail?

As likely as an SSD is to fail. Raid0 is where it shares data across the drives so if one fails it all fails. My bad

3 minutes ago, _Cart said:

Not sure about using different drives in raid, I think your speed will be limited to the slowest drive. As far as which raid level to use, raid 0 is VERY unsafe, with any drive failure you lose all of your data. It is very fast those though. Raid 1 has no speed increase but it adds redundant. For a mix of both, raid 5 is very good. Essentially, three drives are used and the data is striped across al three with parity vts saved on each drive. That way, one drive is redundant. 1 disk can fail and you would be fine. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

6 minutes ago, _Cart said:

raid 0 (because I think this is the safest)

RAID0 and safe is like putting the wolf in charge of the sheep

2 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

As likely as an SSD is to fail. Redundant drives are the most likely to fail and when they do you're screwed. 

Redundant drives are the ones that when they fail it doesn't matter becuase the drives are redundant(not nessasary). 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

So as long as an ssd doesn't fail I should be fine? They are both fairly new so they should still have years to go?

Just now, bgibbz said:

Redundant drives are the ones that when they fail it doesn't matter becuase the drives are redundant(not nessasary). 

I think I'm going the other way on this. I just woke up. 

2 minutes ago, _Cart said:

So as long as an ssd doesn't fail I should be fine? They are both fairly new so they should still have years to go?

True, but you never know if and when something breaks. So just backup important files on multiple locations (extra disk, NAS, cloud, etc) anyway.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, _Cart said:

You'd be doubling your chance of failure, since you'd be using two drives w/0 redundancy. I'm guessing you are doing something more intensive than gaming to make use of ssd's in raid 0 or just sciencing?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

You'd be doubling your chance of failure, since you'd be using two drives w/0 redundancy. I'm guessing you are doing something more intensive than gaming to make use of ssd's in raid 0 or just sciencing?

Going to be used for gaming but also CAD work and graphic design. not to mention its easier to put everything in 1 spot instead of having it all spread across 3 drives (2TB wd black and then the 2 ssds)