Rosewill Armer X308 review

Godlygamer23

Hello all. I recently bought a Rosewill Armer X308 for testing purposes and said to myself "Why don't I review this?" So here I am today, writing this review. I have bought a few things from Rosewill in the past, including two cases(first one, bad experience, but the second one was quite alright), Ethernet cables, and now this enclosure. Rosewill has evolved from a Newegg in-house brand to its own image, and overall they make decent products. So how does this one fare? Let's find out, shall we? Bear in mind that I will not be showing the box, or how the content was put in the box.

The unit has a black brushed aluminum finish with a plastic front and back. There's an LED around the power button that indicates power and activity, and the back includes a small vent, a random piece of plastic that covers an empty area, a USB 3.0 connector, and a DC 12V input plug. Images will be shown below of the outside in this order: Front; back; top; bottom.

Front:

Spoiler

DSC02364.JPG

Back:

Spoiler

DSC02365.JPG

Top:

Spoiler

DSC02363.JPG

Bottom:

Spoiler

DSC02366.JPG

Overall, I'd say it's a good looking unit. The marks that you see on the front and back of the unit are from me cleaning it off with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and didn't come from the factory like that. 

With all that being said, here is an internal shot of what the drive looks like installed, courtesy of my WD Blue 500GB drive:

Spoiler

DSC02357.JPG

Installing the drive was a little annoying, as the SATA plugs on the board do not line up with the plugs on the drive itself, so just sliding it in is not currently possible. Below, I have the drive flat up against the tray, and you can see they do not line up with each other. 

Spoiler

DSC02360.JPG

Some more shots with the drive just resting in the tray:

Spoiler

DSC02361.JPG

One other shot:

Spoiler

DSC02362.JPG

So while mounting it is not a huge problem, it's not as easy as it should be, and someone who is not paying attention could destroy either SATA ports, and this is something that Rosewill should pay attention to in the future, either with manufacturing this same product, or new products. I will be trying to modify it myself in the future possibly. 

How does this thing perform? Well, it seems to perform about where I would expect it. Numbers will be below in the form of CrystalDiskMark screenshots, comparing USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 respectively. 

USB 2.0:

Spoiler

USB 2.0 test.PNG

USB 3.0:

Spoiler

USB 3.0 test.PNG

As you can see, switching over to USB 3.0 did give us about a 15% performance increase. 

The audibility of the drive is definitely noticeable as I can hear the drive spinning, but hearing the actual read/write operations isn't very noticeable unless I put my ear up to the enclosure. Vibrations are definitely noticeable if the enclosure is somewhat nearby on the desk. Having it sit in front of me during testing did allow me to feel the vibrations through the keyboard tray and keyboard, but if the enclosure is to the right of my case - which is about 3 feet away from me - I can't feel any vibration. The temperature of the drive after three hours of stressing was at 120 degrees F/49 degrees C, which is definitely acceptable, though not entirely ideal, but I can't complain too much as it's only passively cooled. 

In the box, they include all the required hardware for you to use the enclosure, including the screws themselves, a USB 3.0 cable, and the power adapter to actually power the enclosure. 

Overall, this is actually a pretty solid product, and anyone looking for a decent 3.5" enclosure should look this way, despite the minor installation issue that I had. Again, I may try to just modify it so the board sits lower, but we'll see. 

Edited by Godlygamer23
Completed review.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2016 at 10:16 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Hello all. I recently bought a Rosewill Armer X308 for testing purposes and said to myself "Why don't I review this?" So here I am today, writing this review. I have bought a few things from Rosewill in the past, including two cases(first one, bad experience, but the second one was quite alright), Ethernet cables, and now this enclosure. Rosewill has evolved from a Newegg in-house brand to its own image, and overall they make decent products. So how does this one fare? Let's find out, shall we? Bear in mind that I will not be showing the box, or how the content was put in the box.

The unit has a black brushed aluminum finish with a plastic front and back. There's an LED around the power button that indicates power and activity, and the back includes a small vent, a random piece of plastic that covers an empty area, a USB 3.0 connector, and a DC 12V input plug. Images will be shown below of the outside in this order: Front; back; top; bottom.

Front:

Hide contents

DSC02364.JPG

Back:

Hide contents

DSC02365.JPG

Top:

Hide contents

DSC02363.JPG

Bottom:

Reveal hidden contents

DSC02366.JPG

Overall, I'd say it's a good looking unit. The marks that you see on the front and back of the unit are from me cleaning it off with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and didn't come from the factory like that. 

With all that being said, here is an internal shot of what the drive looks like installed, courtesy of my WD Blue 500GB drive:

Reveal hidden contents

DSC02357.JPG

Installing the drive was a little annoying, as the SATA plugs on the board do not line up with the plugs on the drive itself, so just sliding it in is not currently possible. Below, I have the drive flat up against the tray, and you can see they do not line up with each other. 

Reveal hidden contents

DSC02360.JPG

Some more shots with the drive just resting in the tray:

Reveal hidden contents

DSC02361.JPG

One other shot:

Reveal hidden contents

DSC02362.JPG

So while mounting it is not a huge problem, it's not as easy as it should be, and someone who is not paying attention could destroy either SATA ports, and this is something that Rosewill should pay attention to in the future, either with manufacturing this same product, or new products. I will be trying to modify it myself in the future possibly. 

How does this thing perform? Well, it seems to perform about where I would expect it. Numbers will be below in the form of CrystalDiskMark screenshots, comparing USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 respectively. 

USB 2.0:

Reveal hidden contents

USB 2.0 test.PNG

USB 3.0:

Reveal hidden contents

USB 3.0 test.PNG

As you can see, switching over to USB 3.0 did give us about a 15% performance increase. 

The audibility of the drive is definitely noticeable as I can hear the drive spinning, but hearing the actual read/write operations isn't very noticeable unless I put my ear up to the enclosure. Vibrations are definitely noticeable if the enclosure is somewhat nearby on the desk. Having it sit in front of me during testing did allow me to feel the vibrations through the keyboard tray and keyboard, but if the enclosure is to the right of my case - which is about 3 feet away from me - I can't feel any vibration. The temperature of the drive after three hours of stressing was at 120 degrees F/49 degrees C, which is definitely acceptable, though not entirely ideal, but I can't complain too much as it's only passively cooled. 

In the box, they include all the required hardware for you to use the enclosure, including the screws themselves, a USB 3.0 cable, and the power adapter to actually power the enclosure. 

Overall, this is actually a pretty solid product, and anyone looking for a decent 3.5" enclosure should look this way, despite the minor installation issue that I had. Again, I may try to just modify it so the board sits lower, but we'll see. 

What a shame that such an in depth review didn't get a response. I don't fully understand this product, but I appreciate your hard work. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

41 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

What a shame that such an in depth review didn't get a response. I don't fully understand this product, but I appreciate your hard work. 

Thank you. What don't you fully understand about this product?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Thank you. What don't you fully understand about this product?

The entire idea of storage in the way you use it today perplexes me. I don't need an explanation, I just wanted you to know. :)

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-