HELP with Nikon 70-200mm 2.8

GamersCouch

I've been waiting to see if Nikon would announce a new 70-200mm f2.8 at Photokina this year, but their press conference was yesterday and the only things they talked about were 3 gimmicky cameras. I really don't want to get a 7 year old lens that's known to have focus breathing problems, but I really need to get a 70-200 2.8 lens and Nikon's brand lens is the sharpest. What are your thoughts? 

edit: Also, there have been rumors of the new lens being tested out in the field, so I know its coming-out is imminent.

you dont like any of the offerings from other brands?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

What camera do you have?

The canon 70-200 are pretty great and about the same sharpness or better.

'

Its still a fine lens with the focus breathing problems.

2 minutes ago, mok said:

you dont like any of the offerings from other brands?

are they even compatible with the Nikon mounts?

ps: maybe you saw the wrong press conference since Nikkor does the lenses for Nikkon 

1 minute ago, GamersCouch said:

I do, but their quality in build isn't on the same level as nikon's.

fair.
reach out to nikon and bother them until you get a response lol

Photography / Finance / Gaming

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are they even compatible with the Nikon mounts?

ps: maybe you saw the wrong press conference since Nikkor does the lenses for Nikkon 

Is Nikkor doing a separate press conference? That would be awesome!

31 minutes ago, GamersCouch said:

Is Nikkor doing a separate press conference? That would be awesome!

Nikkor is a brand on it's own so far I know, although they produce nikon glass only to my knowledge, might be worth the shot to look it up.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Just now, Bsmith said:

Nikkor is a brand on it's own so far I know, although they produce nikon glass only to my knowledge, might be worth the shot to look it up.

I just checked. Nothing scheduled for Nikkor... :(

3 hours ago, GamersCouch said:

I just checked. Nothing scheduled for Nikkor... :(

Then I ahve to dissapoint you...

But honestly, a 7y old lens can still be perfect if you learn to work with the afore mentioned problem or go for a 3rd party lens.
I would go to a store where they hae an huge assortiment and you can try it on your own cam.
Personally I would go for the "Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM" if I wasn't a canon buyer. Sigma has a good name and it seems decently enough built.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II is one of my favorite lenses.  It's the first lens that goes into my bag whenever I plan a trip or go on assignment.  Any issue with focus breathing never even crossed my mind in the seven odd years I've owned it and doubt I could ever live without it.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

yeah the nikon 70-200 is an amazing lens, ive used it countless times, its sharp fast and very dependable

no idea what issues you would have, its one of the best lenses around if you ask me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii