Challenge: Find me a camera

I've got a bit of a challenge: Find me the perfect camera.

Usecase: For personal use as an intermediate photographer who wants to explore it further, as well as journalism for my school (meaning lots and lots of up close sports photos, many in the gym which has awful lighting). 

I definitely need:

• At least a 15MP sensor
  • Full manual mode (ISO, Aperture, Shutter, and White Balance control)

I'd also like (if possible):

• OIS
  • 1080p video, preferably 60 FPS

Hard part: Max budget is $400. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

29 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

At least a 15MP sensor

This doesn't really matter.

is the 400 including a lens?

Do you care about the type of camera(dslr, mirrorless, point n shoot)?

For that price, id personally probably get a used canon 7d or 5d. Im personally a sucker for a used pro grade dslr, even if its 10 years old, as there is no delay when shooting and very fast auto focus. All the prograde ones are also durable and water restant.

If you want new, you can get something like a d3300 or d3200 or a t3i.

If you want mirrorless, look at something like a sony a3000 or a panasonic dxc-gm1.

3 hours ago, Spork829 said:

SNIP

A used D3200 or something would suit

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This doesn't really matter.

is the 400 including a lens?

Do you care about the type of camera(dslr, mirrorless, point n shoot)?

For that price, id personally probably get a used canon 7d or 5d. Im personally a sucker for a used pro grade dslr, even if its 10 years old, as there is no delay when shooting and very fast auto focus. All the prograde ones are also durable and water restant.

If you want new, you can get something like a d3300 or d3200 or a t3i.

If you want mirrorless, look at something like a sony a3000 or a panasonic dxc-gm1.

I know the MP doesn't really matter but my school thinks it does, so they require at least 15. Yes, That is $400 for body and lens, and I'd like to go a little under so I can pick up an extra battery as well. And I don't really care what type, though mirrorless would be nice for portability. Thanks for the suggestions!

2 hours ago, Spork829 said:

I know the MP doesn't really matter but my school thinks it does, so they require at least 15. Yes, That is $400 for body and lens, and I'd like to go a little under so I can pick up an extra battery as well. And I don't really care what type, though mirrorless would be nice for portability. Thanks for the suggestions!

You can buy third party batteries for very cheap later on, your budget is probably in the used category 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

You can buy third party batteries for very cheap later on, your budget is probably in the used category 

I agree, as much as I'd rather avoid buying used, I see I'll get a lot more for the money that way. Hopefully I can find someplace local so that I can physically see it and try it out before taking it home.

A used A6000 or as other has said, used Pro grade equipment. Otherwise any entry level camera from any of the brands pretty much. The one that feels best in the hand I would say. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

The 15MP requirement could be because of their want to possibly print the photos in larger format? Or maybe that's their way of cutting out the possibility of folks bringing older gear? Who knows...

A used body and kit lens - you can get a D3300 (24.2MP, Released in 2014) for the 400 or less from a reputable place like BH Photo. This would include The camera, kit lens, Caps, Battery/charger, cables and 90 day warranty. For canon you can get a T4i or SL1 for similar price. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

You mentioned sports, so the A6000, with native sony lenses will get very fast AF and a great burst rate, better than DSLRs in your budget range. With that said, the battery life is truly crap on the a6000. 

Personally I would go with a used Canon EOS 700d/t5i. Its good enough for what you need and canon offer many good lenses at much cheaper prices than sony's 

Just for reference a 24-70mm f2.8L is at $1749 vs the same lens from sony for $2198 (both prices are from amazon.) now, you obviously wouldn't be looking at that sort of lens anyway, but that is also something to consider. Canon have a presence in the used market as well, unlike sony, who haven't been around long enough, and anyway, nobody buys their lenses because most people adapt Canon's instead. Canon lenses can be had for up to 50% of their retail price used, which is quite significant for a student, I should know, I've not gotten anything new since my EOS 350D, the last camera gifted to me;Ρ

Also, the ergonomics of the a6000 in particular are in my opinion crap, and the evf is really not there yet on it. 

Good points for the sony are portability, and that you can adapt non native lenses, although having done so, the adapter would cost you $400 for the metabones IV and its not guaranteed to work seamlessly, or work with all lenses and sony bodies. You can also adapt legacy glass which is nice. 

You should keep in mind that the camera you buy is insignificant, the system you invest in however is very important. You can obviously sell anything you buy since your sunk costs are not that high, but its still better to get it right the first time. You can get 3-4 lenses and be set for life, bodies change all the time and upgrades will be necessary.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/