Dr. Zaber Sentry Review Discussion Thread

LinusTech
On 9/11/2016 at 3:35 AM, Mi26 said:

Hopefully the 2nd generation will focus on cooling over size 

Yeah that muh'fucka got hot as hell.

13 hours ago, dlink377 said:

Too expensive for a case like that. I was expecting around $60-$70, since the feature set is so minimal, and the thermal is not even that good.

They can't really put a price similar to the ones big manufacturers put on their cases because unlike them, these people aren't making millions of them and expecting to sell millions either. They have small expectations and they have to sell every case for more money to make up for the production cost. 

22 minutes ago, CameronByerly said:

Yeah that muh'fucka got hot as hell.

Keep in mind it was loaded with a extreme configuration in a hot day. 

16 minutes ago, Tairetsu said:

They can't really put a price similar to the ones big manufacturers put on their cases because unlike them, these people aren't making millions of them and expecting to sell millions either. They have small expectations and they have to sell every case for more money to make up for the production cost. 

Keep in mind it was loaded with a extreme configuration in a hot day. 

how hot can it be in Canada though??

Just now, CameronByerly said:

how hot can it be in Canada though??

Canada reaches 30ºC (or like 80ºF I believe) easily in summer. 

1 minute ago, Tairetsu said:

Canada reaches 30ºC (or like 80ºF I believe) easily in summer. 

Damn thats not hot at all hahahahaha but then again I live in the south lol

Just now, CameronByerly said:

Damn thats not hot at all hahahahaha but then again I live in the south lol

86ºF according to google. 

1 minute ago, Tairetsu said:

86ºF according to google. 

You live in argentina? How hot is it down there?

1 minute ago, CameronByerly said:

You live in argentina? How hot is it down there?

Here the north is the hottest part, and here in the north it can get to like 34-35ºc or like 91-95ºF in like the absolute hottest days. 

30 minutes ago, Tairetsu said:

Here the north is the hottest part, and here in the north it can get to like 34-35ºc or like 91-95ºF in like the absolute hottest days. 

Thats it? I feel like itd be much hotter.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:39 PM, brandishwar said:

I'm going to assume that CPU cooler is the Noctua NH-L9i. If so, it's no surprise your CPU temperatures skyrocketed quickly. That cooler is recommended for a 65W CPU, 95W at most if you have decent airflow. So pairing a 145W CPU with that cooler... even if you had it in a chassis with the best possible airflow, or on a test bench with a couple 120mm fans blowing full speed at it directly, I doubt your CPU temperatures would be good enough to avoid throttling.

Yeah I noticed that too. I would use ~60W CPU like my current one at max. Or I wonder what kind of performance and temps you could get with one of those 35W CPUs like i7 6700T. I know there's a popular Cryorig low-profile cooler, IDK how it compares to the one Linus used though.

13 hours ago, brandishwar said:

Says the person who has the system listed in his/her signature. Capitalism is why you have that, and why innovation has driven computer hardware to where it is now and where it is going. It's why many are concerned that AMD isn't doing as well as they likely could be doing, because they want the competition to remain. There is no innovation without competition to put constant pressure on the other players in a market.

Capitalism didn't dictate the price they set. Their costs dictate that as their costs determine their break-even point. If you're not willing to pay the price they set, then that's your prerogative.

I don't have to agree with a system to use it. To me a PC is a luxury item and as such most of my parts are either entry level or cobbled together from every corner of the land. Aside from the RX 460 everything is pretty old, the CPU is 4 years old and even back then it was considered pretty entry-level to quad core CPUs. My components would probably do really well in a case like this if I had the proper PSU, CPU cooler and motherboard, but I think I've grown accustomed to having two case fans. 

I don't know why, but I want this case :o. Mostly because it has an even lower volume than mine (roughly 7 litres).

Only thing bothering me: Looks like the CPU is going to sweat a lot

Can someone tell me what he said, about the best configuration?

7:05 - 7:30 -how to do it and what is it lol

7:54 -alternate mount -> explain plz this about mounting u.u

8:18 -sensible config thingy ->white it down plz full details about it (it will suits my future requ. below, right?)

It may sounds funny but all I want is to play Xenoverse2 full details+mods and latest Forza, NFS + do some graphic stuff in adobe like video & picture editing in 4k.

Damn, why Linus didnt think of selling ready to use pc's. With his knowledge and those configs, built insides I would love to order it, without a hustle to waste myself...

Even if my English isn't that bad, I'm not into PC that much so I would be more than grateful for help.

And yssss Polish case for the win, being proud of a country of mine and such a rare cooperation:>

12 minutes ago, kamolinka1 said:

Can someone tell me what he said, about the best configuration?

7:05 - 7:30 -how to do it and what is it lol

7:54 -alternate mount -> explain plz this about mounting u.u

8:18 -sensible config thingy ->white it down plz full details about it (it will suits my future requ. below, right?)

It may sounds funny but all I want is to play Xenoverse2 full details+mods and latest Forza, NFS + do some graphic stuff in adobe like video & picture editing in 4k.

Damn, why Linus didnt think of selling ready to use pc's. With his knowledge and those configs, built insides I would love to order it, without a hustle to waste myself...

Even if my English isn't that bad, I'm not into PC that much so I would be more than grateful for help.

And yssss Polish case for the win, being proud of a country of mine and such a rare cooperation:>

1) Nvidia by default sets the gpu curve to run below 50% of fan speed under full load until it hits thermal target. What Linus did is moving the curve a bit up so you get +10% or more fan speed at each degree/

2) There are three mounts for 2.5" drives in that are part of the gpu chamber air inlet - those smaller holes are for 2.5". You can use one of those if you've got shorter GPU or if you've got a blower since one 2.5" drive won't block the blower fan intake. There are three of them because you might want to use single slot gpu and 3 data drives or maybe you'll want to make a NAS config with up to 12 drives instead of GPU. Go to the website and check out manual for more details

3) We thought Linus was going to do that, but it looks like he left it for another video comparison with other SFF cases. hopefully this will come sooner than later.

Anyway what we're targeting with our case is a standard, non-k 65W TDP intel processor like i5-6600 and i7-6700 and 150W TDP gpu like GTX 1070 or RX480.

You can go higher a bit, but going for titan and X99 based cpu like Linus did is quite extreme. We'll make sure to show those optimal specs with sales when we launch.

Linus was selling pc components and pc's at NCIX before making his own company btw.

On 9/11/2016 at 11:24 AM, Mi26 said:

Increase the length by a few mm and a 80mm fan could fit in there 

But...but...the whole point is as small as possible while still fitting a non-ITX GPU :/ 

A few mm is not that little when you factor in other things :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Anyone ever heard of those sharkoon(?) flatprofile fans? they might fit in this thing and if they are might be an solution for thermals.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:36 PM, SaperPL said:

It will be expensive compared to mass produced units you get in every store but should be a bit cheaper than A4-SFX and M1 were initially. If first run goes well then we can think of investing in moulds for mass production of metal pieces as well as better deals for required components.

As for the AMD APU - Hopefully if ZEN APU gets to be something like i7 cpu + reasonable gpu with on-package HBM memory for the gpu then it could be interesting to see a build with such APU overclocked with 240mm WC in the VGA bay.

Btw looks like our website is getting DDOSed now...

When can we expect an announcement regarding the Sentry's price point?

And regarding the product's shipping upon production, will international shipping be provided or will it be exclusive to certain countries only? :)

Hopefully people like ASUS or MSI will make an X99 ITX board, I'm kinda sad I'm stuck with having to get a $260 ASRock X99 ITX board if I want small form factor workstation.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

On 13.09.2016 at 7:28 PM, SaperPL said:

1) Nvidia by default sets the gpu curve to run below 50% of fan speed under full load until it hits thermal target. What Linus did is moving the curve a bit up so you get +10% or more fan speed at each degree/

2) There are three mounts for 2.5" drives in that are part of the gpu chamber air inlet - those smaller holes are for 2.5". You can use one of those if you've got shorter GPU or if you've got a blower since one 2.5" drive won't block the blower fan intake. There are three of them because you might want to use single slot gpu and 3 data drives or maybe you'll want to make a NAS config with up to 12 drives instead of GPU. Go to the website and check out manual for more details

3) We thought Linus was going to do that, but it looks like he left it for another video comparison with other SFF cases. hopefully this will come sooner than later.

Anyway what we're targeting with our case is a standard, non-k 65W TDP intel processor like i5-6600 and i7-6700 and 150W TDP gpu like GTX 1070 or RX480.

You can go higher a bit, but going for titan and X99 based cpu like Linus did is quite extreme. We'll make sure to show those optimal specs with sales when we launch.

Linus was selling pc components and pc's at NCIX before making his own company btw.

Well thank you, for English explanation (even tho we both are Polish).

1 got it,

2 got it,

3 damn great, will wait for optimal config (please include all components so that one could aquire a box with linked parts from ones amazon aff or sth -giving profit to creator).

"Linus was selling pc components and pc's at NCIX before making his own company btw." -sh.it, mind blown, I mean with his knowledge and extreme setups there is no chance it could fail. Still IWB ready-made box of Zaber with his given config.  

I've found him on Youtube, as, he got that good glitch in his eye =ambition, passion, evil smile, crazy ideas, a hand for steady business decided to subscribe and it went mainstream. Now even little kido from elementry school knows him, damnn. If being in Canada I would beg for a tour/job so that learn his way of doing stuff (learning from one another is damn good thing to do).

• 4 weeks later...

I hope Linus makes a comparison video whether using a blower style GPU would work better in a case like this or not. I'm thinking of using my old MSI GTX1070 Gaming X but i'm not sure if the temps would be desirable since it uses an open air cooler :/

• 1 month later...
On 11/09/2016 at 5:06 AM, LinusTech said:

Buy Dr Zaber Sentry: http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/

The concept of the original STEAM Machine is alive through a community backed project. Meet the Dr. Zaber Sentry case.

shut up and take my money

I would love to see an ITX case shootout with all these new tiny cases that have come out or are about to come out.