Mobo m.2 standoff broken, please help!

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and have a fairly urgent problem I would like to resolve regarding the m.2 standoff on my motherboard.  I recently purchased parts for a mini itx build and have encountered a little bit of a problem.  I was in the process of screwing down the m.2 ssd to the back of the motherboard, when the stand-off completely detached from the board (very small screw in conjunction with me not being careful).  Is there any way I can reattach the stand-off to the board without replacing the board entirely?  It appears as though the standoff was fused to the board, instead of being screwed on manually.  If not, can I tape the m.2 ssd down with heat resistant electrical tape after properly inserting it into the m.2 socket in the back?

Here are links to my mobo and m.2 for reference.  

mobo:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157650&cm_re=asrock_itx-_-13-157-650-_-Product

m.2:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0FU4HP6553&cm_re=600p_intel-_-20-167-412-_-Product

Thank you all in advance for your replies!

get a non conductive superglue that may void any left over warranty's but it will hold the ssd line there isn't any force on it it just firmly holds the drive down

Put tape in the mb area under where the ssd goes, make a tape ball of the height to keep the SSD paralell to the MB and then a piece of tape to hold the SSD

Looks shouldn't matter as the back of a MB shouldn't have a window

You can use glues too, but be careful because some good instant glues come with solvent, and PCB being multi layer and glass fiber would be dangerous.

This is a signature.

Although the electrical tape trick would work, there could be a problem: if some conductive parts of the SSD touch other conducive parts of the motheboard some bad things would happen. Being that putting back the standoff is not an easy job and being that you probably don't want to replace the motherboard, i suggest you to take some non conductive material (electrical tape is ok too) and cover the motherboard under the whole M.2 area. If the SSD is parallel to the board, you should be good to go

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

I should note that my case is the Corsair Obsidian 250D and the board mounts flat rather than on the side of the case.  

Can you post a picture of this problem please... I'm not saying you're wrong, but could be you just unscrewed the retaining part as well as the screw itself.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

pic of the back of the mobo, i circled the problem area.  

itxmobo.JPG

Can you find a plastic spring clip? The other option would be a nut, 2 x PLASTIC washers, and 1/4" bolts.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I don't think I have any of those materials on hand.  

Do you think cloth electrical tape would do the trick?  https://www.amazon.com/3M-Electrical-Thermosetting-Adhesive-50-Inch/dp/B000UE46LK

I don't believe that there is much force required to keep the ssd in place.  I'm just afraid of short circuiting the board.  I may try what 79 Potatoes proposed above.       

Just now, meowmix2k said:

I don't think I have any of those materials on hand.  

Do you think cloth electrical tape would do the trick?  https://www.amazon.com/3M-Electrical-Thermosetting-Adhesive-50-Inch/dp/B000UE46LK

I don't believe that there is much force required to keep the ssd in place.  I'm just afraid of short circuiting the board.  I may try what 79 Potatoes proposed above.       

I'd be wary if the glue on the back of the tape starts to release. But try it out. The last option would be a toothpick and some string. Put the string around the M.2, feed through the hole, tie it to the toothpick and rotates until it stays in place.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I cut a very tiny piece of thick 2 sided tape (around the approximate height of the original standoff) and placed it in the area where the screw would have been and the m.2 ssd seems to be staying in place.  I also used some electrical tape over the top of the ssd to secure it even more.  Hopefully this works and I don't encounter any problems.  

Your board does not have M.2

edit:

I see it, it's on the back of the board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

it's on the back of the board.  

The pic I posted earlier has the slot visible in the bottom right side under the corsair watercooling bracket.   

1 minute ago, meowmix2k said:

it's on the back of the board.  

The pic I posted earlier has the slot visible in the bottom right side under the corsair watercooling bracket.   

I see the pic and notice the problem area have a broken screw in it? Use needle nose pliers to move that and then go to home depot or hardware store to find a replacment stand off and screw.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

**Update**

I placed a ball/pouch of electrical tape under the mobo where the m.2 socket is located so that the ssd doesn't move when the mobo is secured.  Everything seems to be working fine and im getting 1822 read and 564 write speeds.  

Thank you all for your input and help.