Bringing a Pentium Pc Back From The Dead

Go to solution Solved by ObilvionNizer,

Maybe Linux, Or a pre-2000 version of windows like 98.

So I'm rebuilding an old PC that I got for free and I have all the hardware that I need, but I'm still not sure what os I should put on it. It has a dual core 3ghz Pentium 4 processor and 384 MB of ram and a SF2/661FX (V2.2) motherboard.

I don't really want to have to spend money on the system as that would defeat the point of trying to get a PC, all be it a rubbish one, for free.

Thanks for your help, Ash

There is no dual core Pentium 4's. There is P4's with HT and there are Pentiums that are not P4's that have 2 cores like the Pentium D, Pentium Dual Core and Core Series Pentium.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There is no dual core Pentium 4's. There is P4's with HT and there are Pentiums that are not P4's that have 2 cores like the Pentium D, Pentium Dual Core and Core Series Pentium.

I came to the conclusion it was a Pentium 4 because the bios said it was and my test os I use to see if a PC is dead or not showed the CPU as beeing a dual core so???

1 minute ago, AshBattersea said:

I came to the conclusion it was a Pentium 4 because the bios said it was and my test os I use to see if a PC is dead or not showed the CPU as beeing a dual core so???

It could be a P4 w/ Hyperthreading or it could be miss identifying the CPU. I was testing a VM with windows 95 and it thought my A10 5750m was an "authentic intel Pentium".

3 minutes ago, Zoompz said:

XP would probably be best for it 

I did think about XP, but the system doesn't even meet the minimum requirements to run it and even if it did I don't have a copy of XP to put on it.

Any ideas on obtaining a copy?

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It could be a P4 w/ Hyperthreading or it could be miss identifying the CPU. I was testing a VM with windows 95 and it thought my A10 5750m was an "authentic intel Pentium".

Posible. Though it was using both the cores to 100% in the mem test so I don't think it is beeing misidentified.

6 minutes ago, AshBattersea said:

I would call any computer stores and ask, ask anyone selling a P C with Windows XP if they still have the original copy

Edited by Zoompz
Spelling is not very good

3 minutes ago, Zoompz said:

Thanks for the help I'll see if the tech department at school have a copy I could borrow.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

Just now, deansmylie1993 said:

I have tried putting Linux on it before but the only distro I could think of that would work with so little ram is Arch and that is a pain to install. If I was going to go pre-2000 I would probably go 95 as it's based of dos and i could play all my old dos games on it.

12 minutes ago, AshBattersea said:

Posible. Though it was using both the cores to 100% in the mem test so I don't think it is beeing misidentified.

There ARE NO dual core Pentium 4's.

I repeat, the computer could think it is a Pentium 4, but instead it is some dual core, or it is a Pentium 4, single core CPU with hyper threading.

There is no dual core CPUs on the desktop PGA 478 Platform, it is definitely a single core.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There ARE NO dual core Pentium 4's.

I repeat, the computer could think it is a Pentium 4, but instead it is some dual core, or it is a Pentium 4, single core CPU with hyper threading.

There is no dual core CPUs on the desktop PGA 478 Platform, it is definitely a single core.

I didn't think that there was hyperthreading on Pentium CPUs. guess you learn something every day.

I wouldn't put windows XP on a machine like that, A light linux distro would be best for general usage, just off the top of my head a distro like Lubuntu, Puppy Linux or Slitaz would probably be more suitable they don't need more than 250mb of ram to run without any problems. You could like you said put on windows 95 and play some dos games its up to you.

why win xp when you can go w2k , its better in my opinion and has lots of fan patches making it run most modern things while still being INCREDIBLY lightweight (i ran it on a 133 p1 w/ 128megs and it was snappy) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

• 3 weeks later...

i pulled an old pc out of a cupboard doing a cleanup , found out it stills works and is running windows 2000 pro on it lol 

old pc windows 2000Pro.jpg