Wiring help - complete sound n00b

Sean-

Im a complete novice when it comes to sound

Ive just built a new HTPC/Gaming rig for my living room and bought a home cinema system, along with a new gaming headset.

Can someone just give me a brief eplanation of how it will all be wired.

When i watch media on the HTPC i obviously want the sound to come from the home cinema (surround sound) and also when i switch back to cable i want the surround sound

I also want my headset to work when gaming etc

Sorry for the complete noob questions but im just trying to figure out how it all should be wired

Thanks

I would do either audio over HDMI if your GFX Card supports it, or do S/PDIF to your cinema system. Then just connect your headphones to your cinema system. Bada-bing bada-boom. Done!

3 minutes ago, Its_Twitchyy said:

I would do either audio over HDMI if your GFX Card supports it, or do S/PDIF to your cinema system. Then just connect your headphones to your cinema system. Bada-bing bada-boom. Done!

Its running an Asus Strix 1070 card and an Asus Pro Gaming  Z170i mobo, im using the built in sound (Supreme FX)

So basically everything will go direct to home cinema, cable box, PC and headset?

14 minutes ago, Sean- said:

Im a complete novice when it comes to sound

Ive just built a new HTPC/Gaming rig for my living room and bought a home cinema system, along with a new gaming headset.

Can someone just give me a brief eplanation of how it will all be wired.

When i watch media on the HTPC i obviously want the sound to come from the home cinema (surround sound) and also when i switch back to cable i want the surround sound

I also want my headset to work when gaming etc

Sorry for the complete noob questions but im just trying to figure out how it all should be wired

Thanks

So I want to make sure I have this right, you have a HTPC, a Cable Box, a Surround Sound Audio System, and a Television?

Can you please tell me exactly what Surround Sound Audio System and Television you have?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

So I want to make sure I have this right, you have a HTPC, a Cable Box, a Surround Sound Audio System, and a Television?

Can you please tell me exactly what Surround Sound Audio System and Television you have?

TV is an LG 55UH770v UHD 4k TV (Link to TV), and surround sound is LG BH5540T 5.1 Surround sound system (Link to home Cinema)

Thanks

Basically this. Use S/PDIF (Optical) or if you don't have/can't use that, use HDMI audio going to the cinema system. If the headphones are plugged into the cinema system, it won't output sound to the TV/sound system. 

Just now, Its_Twitchyy said:

Basically this. Use S/PDIF (Optical) or if you don't have/can't use that, use HDMI audio going to the cinema system. If the headphones are plugged into the cinema system, it won't output sound to the TV/sound system. 

Love the diagram ha thanks :D

Just now, Sean- said:

Love the diagram ha thanks :D

No problem haha, pardon the shite drawing :D

Just now, Its_Twitchyy said:

No problem haha, pardon the shite drawing :D

Its relevent to my sound expertise :D

52 minutes ago, Sean- said:

TV is an LG 55UH770v UHD 4k TV (Link to TV), and surround sound is LG BH5540T 5.1 Surround sound system (Link to home Cinema)

Thanks

That TV and Stereo have the ability to just run HDMI from the TV to the Receiver, THEN it will just ALWAYS use that audio and just disable the TV's speakers.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

4 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

That TV and Stereo have the ability to just run HDMI from the TV to the Receiver, THEN it will just ALWAYS use that audio and just disable the TV's speakers.

Perfect thank you!

14 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Just to clarify, i already run HDMI from PC to TV, thats all i will need if i run HDMI from TV to receiver?

15 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Just to clarify, i already run HDMI from PC to TV, thats all i will need if i run HDMI from TV to receiver?

13 minutes ago, Sean- said:

yes, correct

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

yes, correct

ty