Sound card for Antlion ModMic 4.0 UniDirectional

Hey!

I was looking for some directions on what soundcard I should get for my ModMic 4.0. I don't really need one with good audio output, since I'm already using an Fiio E10k for my headphones, but at the same time I realize I'm not going to find one with microphone input only.

The reason I need one is because the white noise created by my motherboard is way too much, and from what I gathered from the internet a simple, small and cheap usb soundcard would fix the issue. And while it did help, it didn't help by much. Maybe I should have bought a slightly more expensive one?

Alright so anyways, I was looking for a soundcard, external or internal, that would fix this issue. However it's very difficult to find the correct one. I don't want to end up overpaying for features that I won't need since I already have a good enough AMP/DAC. But on the other hand, I don't want to end up realizing that I might have gone a little too cheap, once again.

I'd really appreciate all the input I can get.

Edited by MBManaBreak
spelling errors

5 minutes ago, MBManaBreak said:

Hey!

I was looking for some directions on what soundcard I should get for my ModMic 4.0. I don't really need one with good audio output, since I'm already using an Fiio E10k for my headphones, but at the same time I realize I'm not going to find one with microphone input only.

The reason I need one is because the white noise created by my motherboard is way too much, and from what I gathered from the internet a simple, small and cheap usb soundcard would fix the issue. And while it did help, it didn't help by much. Maybe I should have bought a slightly more expensive one?

Alright so anyways, I was looking for a soundcard, external or internal, that would fix this issue. However it's very difficult to find the correct one. I don't want to end up overpaying for features that I won't need since I already have a good enough AMP/DAC. But on the other hand, I don't want to end up realizing that I might have gone a little too cheap, once again.

I'd really appreciate all the input I can get.

What motherboard have you got? You shouldn't have issues with most motherboards post z77.  If you have it plugged in the front panel try the rear plugs. You could be getting interference from all the cables. If there is a difference try to isolate the front panel audio cable.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

2 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

What motherboard have you got? You shouldn't have issues with most motherboards post z77.  If you have it plugged in the front panel try the rear plugs. You could be getting interference from all the cables. If there is a difference try to isolate the front panel audio cable.

I've got the ASRock Z68 Extreme4. Maybe it's starting to get a little bit outdated. Yeah, I've tried the back aswell. :(

7 minutes ago, MBManaBreak said:

I've got the ASRock Z68 Extreme4. Maybe it's starting to get a little bit outdated. Yeah, I've tried the back aswell. :(

OK cool so a sound card should fix this. Though you will be paying for stuff you wont use due to your current amp dac setup. Get whatever asus xonar/strix soundcard that you are happy to pay for. It should do the job. just check it does have a mic input

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

16 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

OK cool so a sound card should fix this. Though you will be paying for stuff you wont use due to your current amp dac setup. Get whatever asus xonar/strix soundcard that you are happy to pay for. It should do the job. just check it does have a mic input

Alright, thank you :D

Get a really basic USB sound card for $10, much cheaper solution and its not going to have noise issues.

Maybe a little late question, but would the Asus Xonar DG work? The reason I'm wondering is since it's so cheap. Also I'm slightly worried since it's an internal card and not an external one. I've heard that that could cause some problems if it's too close to the GPU etc. Am I just being paranoid?

• 2 weeks later...

If you find a solution to this I'm all ears. I'm also having these problems with ModMic 4.0.

Have you tried buying a soundcard yet?

Edit: Found this videon on YT which might be helpful.

You either didn't use the search function or my topic about the same problem doesn't come up in the search results xD
However the solution to your problem is a 3$ USB sound card that can be easily find on eBay. If you find my topic you'll find the link of the one I bought.

Otherwise you can buy the USB soundcard that AntLion sells on their website, which is the basic USB sound card you can find on eBay (usually rebranded by Syba) but rebranded with AntLion logo.