New PSU makes A LOT of noise when gaming

JorenBus

So I just bought a Seasonic M12II Evo 520 Watt PSU to replace my Corsair VS550.

I have to say, this PSU makes a shitton of noise when I'm gaming. It's basically a leafblower, it's insane.

My Corsair VS550 was nearly silent all the time, and this new PSU is suppossed to be much higher quality than the Corsair one.

Is this normal?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

@STRMfrmXMN would know.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I have a M12 II EVO 520W and it doesn't do anything as you're describing

are you sure it's intake fan is not obstructed?!

are you OCing a lot that CPU!?

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I have a M12 II EVO 520W and it doesn't do anything as you're describing

are you sure it's intake fan is not obstructed?!

are you OCing a lot that CPU!?

Nothing is obstructing, I have no OC applied to my CPU.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

I'd call Seasonic and ask them.  Don't ask a loaded question though.  Tell them the model number and what sort of fan noise they expect on a full load.  Leave out that you have a concern with your unit.  They'll assume that any way. 

2 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Nothing is obstructing, I have no OC applied to my CPU.

highly unlikely, tho not impossible - the new PSU is defective, RMA it

Ok so apparentely I'm a big fucking retard and I placed the PSU with the fan towards the PSU shroud instead of the floor.

Excuse me while I go kill myself.

45 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Ok so apparentely I'm a big fucking retard and I placed the PSU with the fan towards the PSU shroud instead of the floor.

Excuse me while I go kill myself.

The M12 is also very, very noisy by design so you're gonna have to suffer with some noise.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The M12 is also very, very noisy by design so you're gonna have to suffer with some noise.

Yeah I noticed that. Do you have any other recommendation for a PSU that's fully modular, silent and at least 500 Watts?

24 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

Yeah I noticed that. Do you have any other recommendation for a PSU that's fully modular, silent and at least 500 Watts?

EVGA 650 G2 if you want the fan to come on less frequently or a Seasonic fanless unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||