upgrading for a friend 800€ budget

Gnomo
2 hours ago, Gnomo said:

So he would like to have those two
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RcYY9W

when he sold his old stuff. I think this is ok? Even if he bought them for to much.

If he's going for an entry level drive I'd recommend the SK Hynix SL308 or OCZ Trion 150 over that Kingston. The GPU is good.

I've come up with a partpicker list with parametric selection of drives and gpu's to choose from. Get whichever is available and has the cheapest price.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pX8qm8

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

He said he will take the 1070 for later possible SLI. But the shop vendor told the g1 gaming 1070 from gigabyte can't be recommended because it gets to loud under load. He personally would sell the palit game rock premium as pre order or if he wants the 1070 now he should take the GTX1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0

What do you recommend us? EVGA 460€, Palit 500€

The ssd looks nice too (OCZ) and that will be taken for sure.
So just the GPU to go!
Thank you very much antisleep, you helped him/us a lot!

15 hours ago, antisleep said:

If he's going for an entry level drive I'd recommend the SK Hynix SL308 or OCZ Trion 150 over that Kingston. The GPU is good.

I've come up with a partpicker list with parametric selection of drives and gpu's to choose from. Get whichever is available and has the cheapest price.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pX8qm8

8 hours ago, Gnomo said:

He said he will take the 1070 for later possible SLI. But the shop vendor told the g1 gaming 1070 from gigabyte can't be recommended because it gets to loud under load. He personally would sell the palit game rock premium as pre order or if he wants the 1070 now he should take the GTX1070 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0

What do you recommend us? EVGA 460€, Palit 500€

The ssd looks nice too (OCZ) and that will be taken for sure.
So just the GPU to go!
Thank you very much antisleep, you helped him/us a lot!

Easily the EVGA FTW! It's included in the parametric selection of partpicker list I sent you.

If the SK hynix SL308 is available and close to/same price as the OCZ then get that one, if not you're good with the OCZ.

53xEYx7.jpg 

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

OCZ 64€ SK 71€

The EVGA FTW seems great and fits very well. I am sure we will take that when he got the money!

1 hour ago, antisleep said:

Easily the EVGA FTW! It's included in the parametric selection of partpicker list I sent you.

If the SK hynix SL308 is available and close to/same price as the OCZ then get that one, if not you're good with the OCZ.

53xEYx7.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

OCZ 64€ SK 71€

The EVGA FTW seems great and fits very well. I am sure we will take that when he got the money!

I only went with the Gigabyte cuz I thought the EVGA's are a lot more expensive but I guess it's  actually not that much based on where you're buying from. And yeah, having 1 less fan spinning means less noise.

OCZ it is.

Just now, antisleep said:

I only went with the Gigabyte cuz I thought the EVGA's are a lot more expensive but I guess it's  actually not that much based on where you're buying from. And yeah, having 1 less fan spinning means less noise.

OCZ it is.

The Evga makes 8€ here

1 minute ago, Gnomo said:

The Evga makes 8€ here

Great. Would love to see the build when it's all done.

well, depends on when the i5 is sold and the GPU and SSD are in budget. The case shall come at 27.9 and I think of 1-2 days for building, so end of september I will quote you with a picture!

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

Great. Would love to see the build when it's all done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.8.2016 at 2:06 AM, antisleep said:

Hm, I need some help. We also want to get an external drive, 4TB or bigger for a backup. It should be non encrypted and a long as possible lifetime.
Each Month it would get a new 2-3TB backup on it.

Anyone any advices?

20 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

Hm, I need some help. We also want to get an external drive, 4TB or bigger for a backup. It should be non encrypted and a long as possible lifetime.
Each Month it would get a new 2-3TB backup on it.

Anyone any advices?

All 'best external drive' articles I've read has this one in it

Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0

21 minutes ago, antisleep said:

All 'best external drive' articles I've read has this one in it

Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0

Hey, you are also here :D

Hm, is there any difference between the 4 and 5TB Version? because that price/gb is a difference here in between them two. 100€ for 4TB and 150€ for 5TB

7 minutes ago, Gnomo said:

Hey, you are also here :D

Hm, is there any difference between the 4 and 5TB Version? because that price/gb is a difference here in between them two. 100€ for 4TB and 150€ for 5TB

Their difference is just the capacity. I'd go with the 4TB w/c has the better price/gb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.9.2016 at 8:25 AM, antisleep said:

Their difference is just the capacity. I'd go with the 4TB w/c has the better price/gb.

So everything besides the GPU is here. Sunday I will start saving all the data.
Then a question on what you would recommend. Shall I first install the new OS on the SSD and then get the old HDD running or first plug in the hdd, get the system running and then install the new OS on the SSD?

14 hours ago, Gnomo said:

So everything besides the GPU is here. Sunday I will start saving all the data.
Then a question on what you would recommend. Shall I first install the new OS on the SSD and then get the old HDD running or first plug in the hdd, get the system running and then install the new OS on the SSD?

Install the OS on the SSD first.

2 hours ago, antisleep said:

Install the OS on the SSD first.

So Partion Magic, splitting into Fedora and Windows 10 system. Then get those running with boot loader, then include the hdd and get ubuntu, mint and Win 7 running again? Or isn't it worth saving the old OS and reinstall those as well?

4 hours ago, Gnomo said:

So Partion Magic, splitting into Fedora and Windows 10 system. Then get those running with boot loader, then include the hdd and get ubuntu, mint and Win 7 running again? Or isn't it worth saving the old OS and reinstall those as well?

Wait, how many OS's are you trying to install again? And why do you need so much?

Don't install more than 2 OS on a 240gb SSD.

14 hours ago, antisleep said:

Wait, how many OS's are you trying to install again? And why do you need so much?

Don't install more than 2 OS on a 240gb SSD.

2 OS on the SSD (fedora and Win10). On the hdd are 3 old OS, ubuntu, mint and Win7. The question is if I can get them working on the new hardware without a new installation process or if I have more issues with keeping those and better reinstall those on the hdd.

6 hours ago, Gnomo said:

2 OS on the SSD (fedora and Win10). On the hdd are 3 old OS, ubuntu, mint and Win7. The question is if I can get them working on the new hardware without a new installation process or if I have more issues with keeping those and better reinstall those on the hdd.

Still don't get why you need that many OS but okay.

Install the OS's on your SSD and then see if the hdd with 3 OS runs fine with it. If you encounter issues then reinstall on the hdd.

4 hours ago, antisleep said:

Install the OS's on your SSD and then see if the hdd with 3 OS runs fine with it. If you encounter issues then reinstall on the hdd.

Ok, so as planed. Just asked because you seem to have some knowledge and maybe you know a special hint.

It is for university, where you have to run multiple OS to understand them and later you must check the compatibility, where I use VMs but the machine here shall run the OS directly.

On 25.9.2016 at 6:43 PM, antisleep said:

You will have to wait a few days since a new motherboard is needed as seen here:

I still remember it and hopefully with a new motherboard I can show you some pictures. (and if the EVGA 1070 finally arrives -.-' else you get pictures with the 670 still in it)

1 hour ago, Gnomo said:

You will have to wait a few days since a new motherboard is needed as seen here:

I still remember it and hopefully with a new motherboard I can show you some pictures. (and if the EVGA 1070 finally arrives -.-' else you get pictures with the 670 still in it)

You should create a PCpartpicker account and post pics there under completed builds.