What do you use to play Blu-Ray discs? PC? Console?

Saiyan

How do you play Blu-Ray discs ?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If you have a PC do you have a Blu-Ray drive in your system or do you use something like an external reader or console?

• Blu-Ray drive for PC
    • Console
    • External reader

My PS3s only purpose now is Blu-Ray player, along with netflix, Amazon Video, and Plex. Thinking about simply going to an Nvidia Shield instead though, as I just put my physical media on my Plex server instead of using the actual disk. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

On 8/22/2016 at 6:22 PM, TheBestUserName said:

You sure got defensive real quick!  

You didn't say you have scratched discs.  You commented on the possibility.  I didn't say you scratched discs. I commented on the extra durability that some one would have to abuse in order to damage bluray.  If you took that personally, then the imperfection is yours. 

I happen to like physical media.  It's more satisfying, to me, to have it in a collection of games, movies, music, etc.  

Kids? I've got a kid. His opinion is the same as mine, so he takes care of our/his stuff, too. 

I don't know if I stick with phyisical media because of nostalgia, but the common reasons I give are;

The medium is always on hand, and you don't have to worry about file transfers/ file incompatability(Regions are a problem, I know), extra features that aren't already on file, supporting physical releases (although this is more of a whatever thing, except for anime, which I do to show the american anime fan base wants a product), Although it's not really a huge problem BRs take up a lot of HDD space if you have big digital collections.

that's just for Dvd/blueray disks, but Music I always try to have a physical copy, because you never know if where you bought it from goes under, or decides to not support it anymore. I just don't trust companies enough with a digital good as I would having the physical good in my hands. Plus, if I lose my music/corrupt my HDD I can get all my music back straight from the CD. 

Take care of your stuff, and physical crap aint no worry. 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

13 minutes ago, Realist Peter Pan said:

I don't know if I stick with phyisical media because of nostalgia, but the common reasons I give are;

The medium is always on hand, and you don't have to worry about file transfers/ file incompatability(Regions are a problem, I know), extra features that aren't already on file, supporting physical releases (although this is more of a whatever thing, except for anime, which I do to show the american anime fan base wants a product), Although it's not really a huge problem BRs take up a lot of HDD space if you have big digital collections.

that's just for Dvd/blueray disks, but Music I always try to have a physical copy, because you never know if where you bought it from goes under, or decides to not support it anymore. I just don't trust companies enough with a digital good as I would having the physical good in my hands. Plus, if I lose my music/corrupt my HDD I can get all my music back straight from the CD. 

Take care of your stuff, and physical crap aint no worry. 

Agreed. 

I'm slightly different with music. But I can't explain the reason. I don't care to have music CDs.  There is an exception though.. my top three favorite bands. I re-bought each band's entire discography new and I'm leaving them unopened. The rest of my CDs could disappear and I wouldn't mind so much. 

I bought a bluray player to watch 3d movies but have since stopped doing that. 3D is stupid and never implemented right.. except in avatar but that movie isn't all that great. I rip my movies to MKV on my pc and re-encode the video to make the file smaller. Then i mux in the original audio and there is my movie. I put it on my server and watch it on my HTPC. Accessing the file directly on the server not through something like plex. I will never use a streaming service for movies cuz the audio is crap and still only DD5.1. I didn't buy an expensive audio setup to put DD5.1 through it, that's just bullshit.

But if i ever watch a movie on a bluray disc then it will be on the bluray player. It's a samsung one, don't remember the model.

I have no signature

Since I got a PS4? That. 

PS3 is older than some kids I teach and makes more noise than them too with a blu-ray in it's mouth (miraculously). Although blu-ray players are cheaper now the precident was set at the PS3 for me in that it does both, so why buy a blu-ray player? I get why really. Superior this and that, but my eyes and ears aren't sharp or bothered enough, really.

On 8/22/2016 at 4:59 AM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

My PS3 exists for one reason (other than the console I bought just to play GTA V)

Im the same except I got Metal Gear Solid 4. The PS3 is regarded as one of the best blu ray players of all time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 3 weeks later...