Getting 00 error code on Asrock Z68 Mobo

chyzerox

Hello guys! I've gathered some pc parts with the goal of putting a pc together. The components are as following: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard, i7-2700k, 2xCMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 4GB ram sticks, Antec NeoPower 550W and lastly, a temporary video card: Radeon HD 6870. When I try to start it up it instantly starts glowing like this mkMKlA2.jpg

I've removed the GPU aswell as tried rearranging the RAM sticks and in the end the result stays the same. Now after doing some googling i've found out that the 00 error code most likely means the CPU can't/won't initialize. I've went ahead and checked the socket and found that no pins were bent and neither does the bottom of the CPU look broken or w/e.  Another thing which caught my attention is the fact that the RAM isn't listed as compatible on the website but my brother (who I got them from) has supposedly used them for quite some time without problem. Another thing might be the PSU as it's very old but it has worked previously nonetheless. 

Please hit me up if you've got any idea of what might be wrong or if you need some additional info and i'll do my best to answer. I appreciate any and all answers!

Thanks! /Chyzerox

I forgot to add, I don't get any picture when plugging in DVI, nor did I get any when I had graphics card plugged in.

Do you have the manual for the board? The post codes should be listed in there, no one here has the post codes for every board memorized so you'll have to look that one up. 

Is there a BIOS switch that would allow you to use a secondary or backup BIOS? Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

ASU

5 minutes ago, chyzerox said:

Hello guys! I've gathered some pc parts with the goal of putting a pc together. The components are as following: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard, i7-2700k, 2xCMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 4GB ram sticks, Antec NeoPower 550W and lastly, a temporary video card: Radeon HD 6870. When I try to start it up it instantly starts glowing like this mkMKlA2.jpg

I've removed the GPU aswell as tried rearranging the RAM sticks and in the end the result stays the same. Now after doing some googling i've found out that the 00 error code most likely means the CPU can't/won't initialize. I've went ahead and checked the socket and found that no pins were bent and neither does the bottom of the CPU look broken or w/e.  Another thing which caught my attention is the fact that the RAM isn't listed as compatible on the website but my brother (who I got them from) has supposedly used them for quite some time without problem. Another thing might be the PSU as it's very old but it has worked previously nonetheless. 

Please hit me up if you've got any idea of what might be wrong or if you need some additional info and i'll do my best to answer. I appreciate any and all answers!

Thanks! /Chyzerox

http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z68 Extreme4 Gen3.pdf

Page 45. 

Code 0x00 (not used) 

Sooo the motherboard says its fine. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

11 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Do you have the manual for the board? The post codes should be listed in there, no one here has the post codes for every board memorized so you'll have to look that one up. 

Is there a BIOS switch that would allow you to use a secondary or backup BIOS? Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

The code 00 apparently means or says ''Not used''. I've cleared/reset the CMOS with the clear button but nothing has changed.

13 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Page 45. 

Code 0x00 (not used) 

I forgot to mention, I don't get any picture when plugging in a DVI, nor did I when I had the GPU plugged in.

Does that mean there's nothing wrong with the CPU/Mobo? What should I do in that case?

11 minutes ago, chyzerox said:

The code 00 apparently means or says ''Not used''. I've cleared/reset the CMOS with the clear button but nothing has changed.

I forgot to mention, I don't get any picture when plugging in a DVI, nor did I when I had the GPU plugged in.

Does that mean there's nothing wrong with the CPU/Mobo? What should I do in that case?

did.. did you touch the CPU without grounding yourself or wearing a grounding strap?

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

Just now, Deagon said:

did.. did you touch the CPU without grounding yourself or wearing a grounding strap?

I touched the plugged in PSU as I was told it should discharge any electrical charge build up before touching the CPU. I've also only held it by the sides. If that wasn't enough and I actually ended up fucking over the CPU is it completely roasted or is there still any chance to revive it?

Just now, chyzerox said:

I touched the plugged in PSU as I was told it should discharge any electrical charge build up before touching the CPU. I've also only held it by the sides. If that wasn't enough and I actually ended up fucking over the CPU is it completely roasted or is there still any chance to revive it?

touching any large piece of metal will do, as long as you did that before EVERY time you touched it, then no you did not zap the cpu, but if you had it would be unfixable.
Good news is it's probably just the board, try contacting the manufacturer, they might just RMA it for free (even if it isn't under warranty, depending on the manufacturer), or for the cost of shipping.

--Thread killer--

1 minute ago, Deagon said:

touching any large piece of metal will do, as long as you did that before EVERY time you touched it, then no you did not zap the cpu, but if you had it would be unfixable.
Good news is it's probably just the board, try contacting the manufacturer, they might just RMA it for free (even if it isn't under warranty, depending on the manufacturer), or for the cost of shipping.

Is there any way to pinpoint it so I can know specifically where the problem lies?

Just now, chyzerox said:

Is there any way to pinpoint it so I can know specifically where the problem lies?

well if you just so happen to have another board that works with your CPU, or another CPU that works with your board, you can try that, if it still happens with another cpu, its probably the board, if it doesn't happen with the other board and the CPU that is in your current board, it is also the original board that is broken. (it seems like the board anyway because 00 is usually the first post code a board shows when it starts)

--Thread killer--

@DeagonI kinda doubt he shocked a cpu. I mean those take a good bit of voltage for overclocking and they aren't packaged in antistatic packaging. 

OP, contact asrock support and see what they say. 

ASU

18 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

@DeagonI kinda doubt he shocked a cpu. I mean those take a good bit of voltage for overclocking and they aren't packaged in antistatic packaging. 

The molded plastic that surrounds CPU's in their packages, is anti-static. A static shock can easily destroy a CPU no matter what kind it is. As I said however, he didn't even shock it, as he followed a proper handling procedure. I've shocked CPU's to death, very recently I zapped one I didn't need to prove the point. (should have recorded it, but It was an in person demonstration, for a slightly older machine that I no longer needed.)
The most likely problem is the board itself as previously stated.

--Thread killer--

Anyone with knowledge when it comes to this specificic mobo that knows what numbers or w/e it's supposed to show when working (if any at all).

11 hours ago, chyzerox said:

Anyone with knowledge when it comes to this specificic mobo that knows what numbers or w/e it's supposed to show when working (if any at all).

Um, a bunch. Most boards show tons of codes as they boot to tell you what it is initializing. Finding someone with experience on your exact board may be difficult. Suffice it to say you will know when your board is working it will probably display a code like A1 when it is ready to boot the OS.

page 45 for all post AND error codes. 

--Thread killer--

I'm reading through the troubleshooting section of your manual, I find it odd that your board isn't giving you the post code 01 to power on. Can we have a picture of the entire board?  Also are you sure that BOTH power cables are plugged in? The large ATX power, AND the smaller ATX12 volt and just for good measure, plug in the sli/xfire power connector. Make sure that the 12 volt 8 pin cord is not the GPU power cord, but the MOBO power cord. If the board is alive, we need to give it juice. If those cords are plugged in, unplug them and plug them back in VERY firmly and try a boot. 

--Thread killer--

43 minutes ago, chyzerox said:

bump

if none of that works then do the following.

13 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

That's about it. hope it helps!

Edited by Deagon
feel free to mash these posts into 1

--Thread killer--

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-08-12 at 11:10 AM, Deagon said:

if none of that works then do the following.

That's about it. hope it helps!

On 2016-08-11 at 9:53 PM, Hackentosher said:

On 2016-08-11 at 8:17 PM, Brink2Three said:

Page 45. 

Code 0x00 (not used) 

I ended up getting an i5-2500K which worked instantly without any hassle. So it seems the i7-2700K was the problem after all. Appreciate the tips you guys gave me! :D