Nintendo NX may be a Hand-Held that can Plug into a TV

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-leak-reveals-transforming-cartridge-running-handheld-1325423

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

Here is a photo from Eurogamer that speculates on the NX design: 

I would enjoy something like this. I also hear that Nintendo is going back to cartridges, which would be interesting with today's flash technology. Just hope it doesn't make game prices as expensive as they were in the old days ($90 for a Zelda game, anyone?)

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Nintendo have realised that their old games are their best. I think this is a great move.

Sounds pretty awesome :) 

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

Nintendo, I am intrigued.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I thought Nintendo's President said that the NX was not going to be another Wii, as in not gimmick based.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

42 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I thought Nintendo's President said that the NX was not going to be another Wii, as in not gimmick based.

The gimmick sold over 100 million consoles. Far better than the PS3 and Xbox 360.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Qub3d said:

I would enjoy something like this. I also hear that Nintendo is going back to cartridges, which would be interesting with today's flash technology. Just hope it doesn't make game prices as expensive as they were in the old days ($90 for a Zelda game, anyone?)

For what is essentially a portable system is there another option? Disks and portables aren't a really good mix. Also in the link they said that they're looking at cartridges that are around 32GB which isn't too bad in terms of capacity. Probably better than what you'd be able to get out of what would have to be a very small disk on a portable. It would also be about in-line with how big their portable cartridges have been getting.

Still rumours at this point but it's looking pretty interesting if you ask me. This all makes a lot of sense.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Hopefully this finally means Nintendo discovers what "1080p" means.

If this thing doesn't at least play at 1080p then I'm sticking with my 3DS.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

13 minutes ago, skywake said:

For what is essentially a portable system is there another option? Disks and portables aren't a really good mix. Also in the link they said that they're looking at cartridges that are around 32GB which isn't too bad in terms of capacity. Probably better than what you'd be able to get out of what would have to be a very small disk on a portable. It would also be about in-line with how big their portable cartridges have been getting.

Still rumours at this point but it's looking pretty interesting if you ask me. This all makes a lot of sense.

SD cards or downloads. I mean, the PSP discs were a thing (though they sucked)

PC Specs:

56 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The gimmick sold over 100 million consoles. Far better than the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Wasn't commenting on that aspect, I'm not of the opinion that the Wii was bad or a failure.

I just remember an article where Nintendo's president said something along the lines of the NX not being another Wii/Wii U and I take that to mean that it's not going to rely on a gimmick.

I will however say that I would really like to play some new Nintendo titles(like a new mario or zelda) with current gen graphics without relying on the use of some funky motion controller or dual screen.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

20 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Hopefully this finally means Nintendo discovers what "1080p" means.

If this thing doesn't at least play at 1080p then I'm sticking with my 3DS.

Errrr what? Hate to break it to you but Wii U is the only current gen console capable of playing it's games at 1080p 60FPS.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Errrr what? Hate to break it to you but Wii U is the only current gen console capable of playing it's games at 1080p 60FPS.

I'm talking about its function as primarily a handheld.

If I buy an NX I'll probably never connect it to a TV. Out of all of Nintendo's franchises I'm pretty much only interested in Pokémon, and that's where I want the higher resolution, because the aliasing in those games is a horror to behold. They don't even have any anti-aliasing, and put black outlines on everything to boot, probably #1 worst aesthetic design desicion in a major video game I can remember in the history of humans.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I would really love for 3DS games to be compatible, that way I can sell mine towards an NX, but I highly doubt that Nintendo will do that. 

COMIC SANS

Internally the console is sporting a Nvidia Tegra mobile processor like those seen in the Nvidia Shield and Nvidia Shield TV.

Hm, I really hope this will be a newer version, based on Pascal (or maybe even Volta?) rather than the Maxwell Tegra X1 found in these current devices. I kind of want to buy an NX for Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc., but if the graphics on the Wii U are better on Zelda Breath of the Wild, I will buy it for that, rather than the NX version.

Though, I would really would have rather Nintendo have gone for a x86 APU from AMD, like the one that is rumored to have an iGPU that is almost as good as a RX 460.

I would like to see a mainstream Pokemon title using this sort of crossover platform. It would be nice to play Pokemon on the big screen like I haven't since Gale of Darkness.

I think the concept is really really great, but if it has just the power of the Tegra X1, it's just not good enough to get 3rd party support in the same way, and as we've seen a few 3rd parties games being announced (and accidentally announced) for the NX along side PS4, Xbone and PC, I would say at it hints at more power somewhere. 
The leakers also mentioned that the dev kits were actively cooled, which also could hint at stronger hardware in the final version. 

Again, it sounds quite expensive if they have a Tegra X2 (or something like that) in a handheld package. So maybe their patent about external processing units that could connect to a main unit, comes into play here. Say they sell the main console, NX for a price. Then an external processing unit can be bought separately and used when docking to a TV. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Only reason it sold that much is because it was before the tablet generation. 

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Would be great among my friends, since I have one friend who always goes to people's houses, and can't take a full size console.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

They said they were leaving the Wii name, that's it. They've always talked about NX having a new way of playing games, so gimmick. And Nintendo only creates new consoles that have something new to them so they have something new to inspire them when creating games. (or to be more correct, they try to design the console around what games they want to make)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

3 hours ago, Qub3d said:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-leak-reveals-transforming-cartridge-running-handheld-1325423

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Here is a photo from Eurogamer that speculates on the NX design: 

Lol I had an idea for this EXACT thing 8 years ago, exact same thing. It literally had 2 detachable controllers, and a kickstand for the screen.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Just now, shermantanker said:

Lol I had an idea for this EXACT thing 8 years ago, exact same thing. It literally had 2 detachable controllers, and a kickstand for the screen.

business_idea.png

PC Specs:

5 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

business_idea.png

I wonder if I have the drawings around somewhere, but I was like 16 so who knows.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 hours ago, Bit8xPr0 said:

I would vehemently disagree with that assessment (it just doesn't make sense... mobile games are 100% trash compared to even the worst console/wii games), but naturally we can't really prove that one way or another.

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Wasn't commenting on that aspect, I'm not of the opinion that the Wii was bad or a failure.

I just remember an article where Nintendo's president said something along the lines of the NX not being another Wii/Wii U and I take that to mean that it's not going to rely on a gimmick.

I will however say that I would really like to play some new Nintendo titles(like a new mario or zelda) with current gen graphics without relying on the use of some funky motion controller or dual screen.

That's fine, I just wanted to remind everyone that the "gimmick" was something that almost single-handedly brought Nintendo consoles back to the forefront of sales.

Besides, it wasn't too long ago that MS's including support and quasi-requirement of a mouse was considered a gimmick.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Now that its confirmed NX is powered by Tegra (possibly X2), I would laugh my nose off if it was a huge comeback for Nintendo, like the snes days.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

6 hours ago, Bit8xPr0 said:

the only reason it sold that much is because they sold it as a toy.

you are thinking of the wii u and that pretty much failed compared to the wii.

i still dont know how i feel about the NX being a handheld.

i hoped for a normal stationary console without gimmicks, but we are talking about nintendo here..

are they gonna abandon the 3DS after the NX came out?