Which upgrade to go for

MVPernula

Right now I'm stuck, don't know what to pick.

I need to upgrade my HDD's, I have 2 different 500GB drives with 7 and 10 years on them. They're really starting to show their age through really slow load times and noise.

It's either buying two 2TB HDD's and RAID 0 them, or getting in M.2 SSD for my OS. I'm considering the HyperX Predator M.2 PCI-e slot SSD or the Samsung 950. The reason I'm considering the HyperX one is because I'm afraid the 950 will be blocked by my CPU cooler.

Thoughts? Which one of these should I prioritize and which one of the SSD's do you recommend?

If you can't tolerate the loading times anymore, a SSD would be a relief, believe me. And if you're fine with your current 1TB storage, why not getting only one 2TB HDD, at least for now ? You would save a bit of money and maybe be able to get the SSD + HDD

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

if i was you i will not put those drives in raid 0 i think there about to fail

14 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

If you can't tolerate the loading times anymore, a SSD would be a relief, believe me. And if you're fine with your current 1TB storage, why not getting only one 2TB HDD, at least for now ? You would save a bit of money and maybe be able to get the SSD + HDD

Forgot to mention that I have my OS on an SSD right now and another for games and software. I plan to pu tboth of those (850 Evo's) in raid for games and softwares and the new one dedicated to my OS.

HDD's will be storage only.

14 minutes ago, OVD1234 said:

if i was you i will not put those drives in raid 0 i think there about to fail

Wont put my current ones in RAID 0, I will however do that with the new ones when I get them.

4 hours ago, MVPernula said:

~snip~

Hi there MVPernula :)

As @roylapoutre suggested you may be better of with a SSD + HDD combination. RAID0 does offer some risks as @OVD1234 stated since if either of the drives fail you'd lose all the data on the whole array. Also, RAID0 gives you a speed boost mostly on the sequential speeds and offers little gain on the random speeds.

If you do decide to go for the RAID0 array make sure you have a good backup of all the data on the drive on a separate storage location and that you use NAS/RAID-class drives as they have the additional features that are required for a stable and safe performance in a RAID array. A good example would be WD Red. http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=kvHtpM 

Feel free to ask if there are any questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/