First PC build

Hi,

I'm new to pc building and pc gaming. I am really excited to build a pc, but I don't know much. I would like to build a mid-range gaming pc that could support Triple-A titles and good indie games on high or ultra setting at 60 fps for around the $700-$800 range. I don't plan on overclocking my CPU, but I might oc my GPU. Below I have listed what I have found,

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02

CPU: Intel Boxed core i5-6500 FC-LGA14C 3.20 Ghz 6M porcessor cache 4 LGA 1151

Mobo: MSI H170 Gaming M3

GPU: MSi GAMING GTX 960 2Gb OC Twin Frozr-v HDCP SLI support

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB kit (2x4gb)

Storage: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 inch desktop Hard drive

CPU Cooling: Stock Fan included with cpu

Fan(s): Cooler Master Sickleflow 120

PSU: Corsair CXM series CX450M

Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5 in LCD monitor

Should I go ssd instead of hhd? I do have a 1tb external hard drive.

What could I cut back on to bring the price down a little bit so it could be affordable. I would like to keep with any intel processor and a nvidia gpu. I don't want to sacrifice too much performance, but still want to drop the cost a little.

Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, Andrewfiss said:

Hi,

I'm new to pc building and pc gaming. I am really excited to build a pc, but I don't know much. I would like to build a mid-range gaming pc that could support Triple-A titles and good indie games on high or ultra setting at 60 fps for around the $700-$800 range. I don't plan on overclocking my CPU, but I might oc my GPU. Below I have listed what I have found,

Storage: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 inch desktop Hard drive

What could I cut back on to bring the price down a little bit so it could be affordable. I would like to keep with any intel processor and a nvidia gpu. I don't want to sacrifice too much performance, but still want to drop the cost a little.

Thanks for the help!

Next time use pcpartpicker.com

Not a bad setup, but get a 480 for AMD it is so much faster.

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

11 minutes ago, Andrewfiss said:

Hi,

Thanks for the help!

If you have an external hard drive then go for a good quality SSD. Something from Samsung or the likes.

13 minutes ago, Andrewfiss said:

There's not a whole lot to cut to make things cheaper and still perform like you want. You should check the price-du-jour of the GTX-960 vs the GTX-1060 vs the RX 480 at the time of purchase.

The CX450M is a bit low for use with a 960. For a bit more headroom I'd suggest a CX500M or some other 80+ 500-550 watt supply.

Check your current storage usage - that is, how much total space you are using on your current hard drive. You will probably find that its much less than 1TB.

A 250Gig SSD is enough for people who don't have a lot of games and Mpegs. A 500Gig SSD is usually enough for almost anyone.

That Corsair case comes with 2 fans. Since you are not overclocking, you really don't need any additional fans.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Only thing I would suggest is yes switch that WD Blue to an SSD or just put that purchase on hold seeing as you have 1TB external. You can always throw a second HDD in when you need it.

RAM I would either try to squeeze in a 16GB (2 x 8GB) kit. RAM is pretty cheap these days you can get that for probably 55$ USD / 80$ CAD.
If you can't make the 16GB work then definitely switch that 2x4GB kit to 1x8GB. Means you'll be able to upgrade easily to 16GB and beyond for no difference in performance or price.

Instead of getting that extra cooling fan maybe consider upgrading the CPU Cooling to a Hyper 212 EVO or something similar.
The case has 1 front intake included and 1 rear exhaust included as well. If you got a 212 EVO you could make it push air out the back. and take that rear exhaust fan and turn it into a 2nd front intake. You'll keep positive air pressure without sacrificing any real cooling potential.

Last complaint is the PSU. I really hate the idea of cheaping out on this component just because if it fails, it fails badly. I always squeeze in a Seasonic G550 (90-100$) into all the budget builds I do for people. You're getting modular cables, Gold rating, and Seasonics build quality and reputation. for 30-40$ more.

And I agree with what @Quaker said. When it comes close to buying your components check prices and availability on the RX 480 and GTX 1060. If you can pick up either of those over the GTX 960 that's much preferably.

Just some suggestions, if nothing else make sure you get that 1x8GB stick of RAM vs the 2x4GB. You might kick yourself down the road for not doing it and having to replace the whole set of RAM instead of just adding in a new stick. 4GB sticks limits you to 16GB. 8GB sticks limits you to 32GB.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads