Is it worth it to buy a Nintendo Wii now?

Tomek20225

Hi, guys! :D

I've got a dillema. There are many offers on allegro.pl that offer an used Nintendo Wii for 15-25$ and games for it for a buck or two each. I'm certain they're true offers.

It's a small price for a good console. The thing is that I don't know whether I should even think about it, because of games, performance etc.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :)

Thomas

Personally I would just get the Dolphin emulator so you get to do things like increase the resolution. Dolphin 5.0 just released and it's basically perfect emulation. Although damn that's a cheap price.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Personally I wouldn't bother because dolphin is quite a good and stable emulator but for 15$ I have to say that is pretty tempting haha

Just make sure you get Xenoblade Chronicles if you're interested in one of the best JRPGs of all time

EDIT: Probably get a ROM for that. Forgot how rare that game is, lol

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

2 minutes ago, Tomek20225 said:

Hi, guys! :D

I've got a dillema. There are many offers on allegro.pl that offer an used Nintendo Wii for 15-25$ and games for it for a buck or two each. I'm certain they're true offers.

It's a small price for a good console. The thing is that I don't know whether I should even think about it, because of games, performance etc.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :)

Thomas

Well if you want to play wii games then yeah. There are some solid games only on Wii.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

12 minutes ago, Tomek20225 said:

The thing is that I don't know whether I should even think about it, because of games, performance etc.

What do you think?

Well, it's up to you and whether there are specific Wii games you want to play. I know that's a weak answer, but this comes down to the games and how much you want to play them. I can say it seems like a good price to me.

Performance is less an issue with Nintendo consoles than you might expect. Nintendo's first-party titles usually run at 60 FPS at a reasonable resolution for their generation. Some third-party titles might run poorly, but that's probably not what you should be buying a Wii for to begin with.

For the most part you should just buy the console and games, they are so cheap these days that you might as well get the true original experience. The Dolphin Emulator may be well know and emulate most games reasonably well but no game can EVER be emulated perfectly, there can be countless glitches, performance issues and bugs both big and very small that are not found when playing on an actual Wii/Wii U. So only use an emulator for games that are genuinely hard to find/too expensive, even then do not blame any issues you have on the game unless those same issues are present when playing on a console.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I'd say go for it. Wii is a great system. We've had ours since 2007. I installed the homebrew channel on it about a year later. It has its own usb hard drive with about 150 games.  It still gets action. 

It's old enough to have that fun retro feel, but also new enough to have some emersive games. 

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are must-haves.  If you're interested, I can list some more that we have and like a lot. 

HOMEBREW THE SHIT OUTTA OF THE WIIIIII

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

No, wait for the NX and see how that handles Virtual Console stuff. If they shit the bed again, then by all means get the Dolphin emulator and be done with it.

It's still overpriced, just wait for nx, probably have backwards compatibility

1 hour ago, ogretactics said:

No, wait for the NX and see how that handles Virtual Console stuff. If they shit the bed again, then by all means get the Dolphin emulator and be done with it.

1 hour ago, shan1281 said:

It's still overpriced, just wait for nx, probably have backwards compatibility

Wait 8-9 months for a system with unannounced features when a used Wii is $15-25?  On what planet is a $25 console considered overpriced?  I can't even fill up my car's gas tank for that much. 

5 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

Wait 8-9 months for a system with unannounced features when a used Wii is $15-25?  On what planet is a $25 console considered overpriced?  I can't even fill up my car's gas tank for that much. 

If you gave me $25 to take your Wii I wouldn't do it.

1 hour ago, ogretactics said:

If you gave me $25 to take your Wii I wouldn't do it.

The imperfection is yours. 

I say yes at that price as long as it is a GameCube backwards compatible one.

I would also suggest getting the hd component cables for it. I've heard good things about the HDMI adapter, but I personally don't use it.

I'd also recommend using a Wii motion plus remote, nunchuck, and pro controller. That's all you'll need to fully enjoy that console.

There are a lot of great games for it, and I personally love the thing.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

i still play super star wars and metroid on it

Link to the Past

Metroid

Yea it's worth it, besides, gamecube?

Shipping sucks

The Wii makes a nice little emulator box with minimal effort, plus there is a metric ton of great software, I say if you can land one on the cheap, go for it. 

• 5 weeks later...

if you can test to see if the console works then get on because smash is so much fun with friends

yeahyuz