Why does the GTX 970 performs worse than previous GTX 750 Ti?

dreamhacking

Hello,

Just did an upgrade for a friend. He was running a EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB before and now upgraded to a EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB. 

However, he is getting lower FPS with the GTX 970 in the game that he plays. 

He tried running Cinebench and have a low FPS score. (he has not tell me what the exact FPS is, but I am trying to find out from him) 

Specs: 

NZXT S340 case

FX-6300 @ 4.0ghz 

MSI 970 mobo

CM Hyper T4 

EVGA 850W NEX

2x4GB g.skill ram 

120GB Adata SSD

Windows 10 Home

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.  

The GPU shouldn't have any real affect on a Cinebench run as thats entirely CPU bound.

Anyway, what games does he play? Did he change anything other than the GPU?

I would recommend running DDU to uninstall and the reinstall the drivers.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The GPU shouldn't have any real affect on a Cinebench run as thats entirely CPU bound.

i have no idea as i have never run cinebench myself before. 

Probably a driver related problem. Fresh install of windows will fix it 99%.

You can try deinstalling all nvidia related drivers and install a fresh one. If that doesnt help, windows reinstall is the way to go.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

4 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Hello,

Just did an upgrade for a friend. He was running a EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB before and now upgraded to a EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB. 

He tried running Cinebench and have a low FPS score. (he has not tell me what the exact FPS is, but I am trying to find out from him) 

Specs: 

NZXT S340 case

FX-6300 @ 4.0ghz 

MSI 970 mobo

CM Hyper T4 

EVGA 850W NEX

2x4GB g,skill ram 

120GB Adata SSD

Windows 10 Home

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.  

Umm, I'mm just going to put it out here now-you should have gotten an R9 280/285/380/GTX 960 to go with your FX 6300 as an upgrade for your friend. The maximum frame rate should still be higher than when your friend had the GTX 750ti, but due to the FX 6300 bottlenecking it badly the minimum minimum FPS will be significantly lower resulting in stuttering.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Hello,

Specs: 

NZXT S340 case

FX-6300 @ 4.0ghz 

MSI 970 mobo

CM Hyper T4 

EVGA 850W NEX

2x4GB g,skill ram 

120GB Adata SSD

Windows 10 Home

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.  

Probably Nvidia's shit drivers. Use DDU and install 361.75

Could also be a faulty PSU or board.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Umm, I'mm just going to put it out here now-you should have gotten an R9 280/285/380/GTX 960 to go with your FX 6300 as an upgrade for your friend. The maximum frame rate should still be higher than when your friend had the GTX 750ti, but due to the FX 6300 bottlenecking it badly the minimum minimum FPS will be significantly lower resulting in stuttering.

I have also search on google about if FX6300 will bottleneck the GTX 970. most people with running OC on FX6300 does not experience bottlenecking problem 

2 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

I have also search on google about if FX6300 will bottleneck the GTX 970. most people with running OC on FX6300 does not experience bottlenecking problem 

Even overclocked it will bottleneck a 970, but the bigger issue is the minimum FPS, which most people don't even bother to look at. But frequent and low minimums make a game feel very choppy and uncomfortable to play. 

Did he overclock before or after switching to a 970?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Anyway, what games does he play? Did he change anything other than the GPU?

I would recommend running DDU to uninstall and the reinstall the drivers.

It could be he's also a troll too. Theres that.

but if theres any CPU-bound games thats the problem

11 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Hello,

Specs: 

NZXT S340 case

FX-6300 @ 4.0ghz 

MSI 970 mobo

CM Hyper T4 

EVGA 850W NEX

2x4GB g.skill ram 

120GB Adata SSD

Windows 10 Home

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.  

reinstall nvidia drivers

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

5 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

reinstall nvidia drivers

he did a fresh install last night, but i will tell him to use DDU and install a fresh driver again. 

4 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

he did a fresh install last night, but i will tell him to use DDU and install a fresh driver again. 

Manually instal the driver from Nvidia's website, don't use the GeForce Experience. And use the latest drivers, don't listen to salty people who don't use the drivers. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

5 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

Are you guys on Weed or something? I can't stand this atrocious logic. You people are always ready to bash AMD for petty reason. How come a significantly better GPU would performance worse just because of CPU? This ignorance towards AMD had enough of me and I'm probably starting to hate this forum because of people like you.

That's not what I said. Read the posted I was responding to. An FX6300 is more than fast enough to be able to notice a large performance difference between a 750Ti and a 970. HOWEVER, it's not fast enough to not bottleneck the 970 in many games. Not to mention the fact that I'm not the one who brought up the FX6300 being a bottleneck anyway. I was merely correcting something that was said. 

Furthermore, the other person who made a comment about the FX6300 bottlenecking a 970 was NOT saying that he wouldn't notice a difference between a 750Ti and a 970 either. He was saying that he could have gone with a cheaper GPU (380/960) and gotten a GPU that wouldn't have been bottlenecked. 

---

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

Are you guys on Weed or something? I can't stand this atrocious logic. You people are always ready to bash AMD for petty reason. How come a significantly better GPU would performance worse just because of CPU? This ignorance towards AMD had enough of me and I'm probably starting to hate this forum because of people like you.

*sigh*. My point is that there would have still been an FPS increase, but since the FX 6300 isn't fast enough-due to its architecture being optimized for server workloads and not gaming (and being quite old as far as CPU go) it would have been better to get a mid range graphics card to fit the mid range CPU.

And you do realise that some people (including me) have plenty of ammunition to say fuck Nvidia, and fuck_that_company_that_never_competes_well. 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL