Should I upgrade my GPU or build a new computer?

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,

What is your budget? You could probably get a 1080 and it would probably be totally fine (and totally overkill) for pretty much any game. only in a handful of games would you really stand a chance of bottlenecking your GPU (but that will depend on just how hard you're overclocking that CPU of yours), but that isn't the end of the world a; a 1080 operating at 80-90% is still going to decimate anything you throw its way at 1080p-1440p. You could get a 1080 now, and then upgrade to Kaby Lake (intel's new CPU lineup) coming out in the fall. or if you find that you're not having any performance issues at all. If not, you could always wait for Zen or Cannonlake.

Bottom line is, if you're going from a 670 to a 1080, it is going to feel like a brand new machine anyway. that is a SERIOUS performance jump. What resolution are you planning to play at?

Hey guys,

So I need some advice on whether I should just upgrade my GPU or build a new computer all together. I was considering getting a GTX 1080 in the near future. And was in doubt whether or not my current setup could handle the new NVIDIA 10 series.

My current setup

• CPU: Intel i5 3570K
  • MOBO: MSI Z77 GD65
  • RAM: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600 MHz
  • PSU: Corsair AX760i

I know that it's some old hardware and it wouldn't surprise me, if my current setup will be a bottleneck for the GPU performance. I just wanted to ask here before just going out and buy a new GPU, that I can't really use to it's fullest. I should note that I do want to make a new build at some point, but if my current hardware is still good, then I will save the money and wait a year or two with the other upgrades.

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

This PC would be fine for a GTX 1080

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Tbh, I think your setup will still hold up quite well.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

i'd dare to say that setup will do just fine for a few more years.

a 1080 now, and in one or two years get a new proc/mobo/ram, chances are that ax760i is gonna last you until the end of time :P

What is your budget? You could probably get a 1080 and it would probably be totally fine (and totally overkill) for pretty much any game. only in a handful of games would you really stand a chance of bottlenecking your GPU (but that will depend on just how hard you're overclocking that CPU of yours), but that isn't the end of the world a; a 1080 operating at 80-90% is still going to decimate anything you throw its way at 1080p-1440p. You could get a 1080 now, and then upgrade to Kaby Lake (intel's new CPU lineup) coming out in the fall. or if you find that you're not having any performance issues at all. If not, you could always wait for Zen or Cannonlake.

Bottom line is, if you're going from a 670 to a 1080, it is going to feel like a brand new machine anyway. that is a SERIOUS performance jump. What resolution are you planning to play at?

Pretty sure you'll be fine.

Maybe only the real CPU intensive titles like GTA V will suffer a bit.

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

What is your budget? You could probably get a 1080 and it would probably be totally fine (and totally overkill) for pretty much any game. only in a handful of games would you really stand a chance of bottlenecking your GPU (but that will depend on just how hard you're overclocking that CPU of yours), but that isn't the end of the world. You could get a 1080 now, and then upgrade to Kaby Lake (intel's new CPU lineup) coming out in the fall. or if you find that you're not having any performance issues at all. If not, you could always wait for Zen or Cannonlake.

I don't really have a budget at the moment, still in the early stages. I'm planning on gaming in 1440P, but I might end up in 4k (not likely at the moment). I want to get a new monitor as well.

But it seems like my setup is still good, so I will get a GTX 1080 and go from there.

Thank you all for the quick replies :) 

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)